JoinFS freezes X-Plane

Any questions regarding JoinFS.
robstop

JoinFS freezes X-Plane

Post by robstop »

Hi Peter:
Today I had a surprising experience with JoinFS freezing X-Plane.

A couple of days ago, both JoinFS and X-Plane were working just fine, as I could see my flight partners without problems.

Today however (and I haven’t done anything with my computer) X-Plane froze, when I turned on JoinFS.

This happened with version 3.1.5 and also after I updated to version 3.1.6.

If I turn off JoinFS, the simulator (X-Plane) returns to work normally. If I restart JoinFS, the simulator freezes again. If I disconnect the “Simulator” button in JoinFS (ie I turn it from green to red) the simulator returns to work normally. If I press the button again, to reconnect JoinFS with the simulator, then X-Plane freezes again.

I appreciate your thoughts and guidance on how to diagnose this problem.

Many regards,

Roberto
Peter
Site Admin

Re: JoinFS freezes X-Plane

Post by Peter »

Hi Roberto,

if you allow it to freeze and don't do anything does it unfreeze several seconds later. The reason for the freeze is that X-Plane pauses when it loads a new aircraft. So when JoinFS injects new aircraft when it connects then it will pause while it loads each of the aircraft. Normally this should only be a few seconds for each aircraft so if you wait long enough it should start again.

Unfortunately X-Plane doesn't load them asynchronously which would allow it to run and load at the same time.

Peter
robstop

Post by robstop »

Hi Peter!

Thank you, again, for the quick responses.
In one of those puzzling behaviours of electronics, my PC did not start "normally" this morning. It required a "hard start".
After it was running, I connected X-Plane and JoinFS without any issues. I will test again over the weekend with friends online.
It was obviously one of those "brain hiccups" that computers have and I blame the system and not JoinFS, for yesterday's issues.

They say, that three engineers, a mechanical one, a chemical one and a computer systems one, were in a car that stalled on an uphill.
The mechanical engineer says that the engine overheated, the metal expanded and the engine quit.
The chemical engineer says that steam from the hot engine got into the fuel line and as a result, the engine quit.
The computer systems engineer says, why don't we close the windows, get out, get back in and open the windows again? Sometimes that works!

Obviously that is what happened with my system.
Many regards,
Roberto

PS: Next time, I will wait for "the light of the next day", before I send a report on an issue!
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Ha, I like that. We have a similar IT support saying in the UK that goes "Have you tried switching it off and back on again?"

Regards,
Peter
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

Peter wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:23 pm Ha, I like that. We have a similar IT support saying in the UK that goes "Have you tried switching it off and back on again?"

Regards,
Peter
That's a 240 volt reset. ;)