Another Post on "Can't See Others"

Any questions regarding JoinFS.
robstop

Another Post on "Can't See Others"

Post by robstop »

Hello to all.
Happy New Year!

We are three folks (D, A and R) who regularly and weekly get together for a flight in X-Plane.

For the last couple of months and associated JoinFS updates, we have been unable to properly see each other on screen.

We all fly X-Plane 11.55 and we have updated to the last JoinFS Version 3.1.5

Yesterday, we were all flying the Zibo airplane add-on.

We tried four different Network connections, first Global, then each one of us created a network and the other two joined it.

We all had green Simulator and Network connection tabs. In all four network selected, the situation was the same.

We all could see our names in green in the View -> Session tab

Only A and R could see each other in the View -> Aircraft tab

D could not see anybody in the View -> Aircraft tab

In the sim, D could see both A and R on the ramps, on TCAS and in the air.

A could see R on the ramp and in the air.

R could not see the other two at all.

This is quite puzzling because we appear to be properly connected to JoinFS and to a network, but we can not see each other.

We have been flying together for quite a while always connected without issues to JoinFS, and never had the issues that are appearing lately.

Any advice and guidance on what to do, or at least how to diagnose our issues, would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Roberto (I am the R!)
Peter
Site Admin

Re: Another Post on "Can't See Others"

Post by Peter »

Hi Roberto, happy new year.

I have just changed the X-Plane injection in the latest 3.1.5. JoinFS should have asked you to re-install the X-Plane plugin. Did it do that on all three machines? If not then you need to go to JoinFS settings and click on the Install button for the plugin (make sure that X-Plane isn't running when you do this)

Once you have done that then try scanning for models from the JoinFS menu. Make sure that it finds plenty of models and tick any boxes for aircraft that you need to include.

Once you have all done that then join a session together and see if you can see each other listed in the aircraft window.

Peter
robstop

Post by robstop »

Hello Peter:
Thank you for the "lightning speed" response!

We are "veterans" in JoinFS, as we have been using it for a very long time.

Just uninstalled and reinstalled version 3.1.5. It doesn't really "ask me" to install the plugin, but I know it is necessary, so I do.

What is interesting, is that yesterday, as today, it only scanned 38 models (A had only 37), while in the past (i.e. two months ago and before) it used to find 200+

I will likely be able to "gather the troops" during the weekend, and I will report back.

Thanks again, and many regards,
Roberto
robstop

Post by robstop »

Hi Peter:
We did some checks during the day, and I found that one of the JoinFS "boxes" was not checked in my Windows Defender as a program to allow (four others were!).

I connected on line with D (my dear son) and this time, while I can see his Tag on my screen, I cannot see his airplane. It did not matter with what type of airplane I substitued his, it did not show on screen.

As I reinstalled the program (JoinFS) from scratch, I reinstalled the X-Plane plugin and rescanned for aircraft, getting the 38, and not the older 200+

I got this caution message about not being able to see AI aircraft, that can also be seen in this screen grab that I attach.

Again, asking for your advice on what to check, to be able to see the aircraft, in addition to the tag.

Thanks again and have a good weekend!

Roberto
JoinFS Tests.jpeg
JoinFS Tests.jpeg (222.77 KiB) Viewed 4241 times
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

That message is telling you what you need to do. You need to add some AI aircraft in the flight configuration options in X-Plane. If you go to X-Plane, click on the aircraft symbol in the top right of the screen it should open up the flight configuration window. At the top right of the left panel you should see a button "AI Aircraft". Click on that and add enough aircraft for your multiplayer requirements. Since there are three people in your case then add two AI aircraft. Click OK to return to the simulator and you should now see the aircraft.

Peter
robstop

Post by robstop »

Hello again Peter:

The JoinFS warning message on the screen was puzzling, as there was only one other aircraft with me. The message appeared when I had two AI selected and when I had none. As a matter of course, the message appears, regardless of how many AI aircraft I have added in X-Plane. For example, if I have 3, it will warn me that I can only see 3, etc.

What is initeresting, is that my son D, does not have any AI selected (they are very onerous on performance), but he could still see me with my tag and my selected C172, while I only could see his tag in that photo I sent yesterday.

I still believe that there is something "wrong" with my JoinFS installation, so I will just continue to check, with the hope of finding it.

I want to thank you, in any event, for your interest and help and, specially, your very quick responses.

Many regards,

Roberto
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Hmm, if he has no AI aircraft added but can still see you then it sounds like he isn't running 3.1.5 or he hasn't installed the new plugin (...or my changes are not working quite as I was expecting they would). I will just double check here.

On your machine you shouldn't get the message if you have enough AI aircraft added within X-Plane. Could you check the aircraft window, the objects window and also look at the monitor window to see how many things JoinFS is trying to inject.

That warning should only appear once for each session that you connect to. Once you dismiss it then it should only appear again on a reconnect.

Peter
robstop

Post by robstop »

Hi Peter:

I will start with an apology and then follow up with thanks.

Apology, because I realized (after carefully reading again the manual on the X-Plane section, that I had read before "a long time ago"...) that I had not properly removed all the X-Ivap files in the plugins of X-Plane. It just escaped me, because it didn't start with "xivap....."

So, with "ticking" the "unticked" box I found in my modem permissions for JoinFS yesterday, and with removing this final X-Ivap file from the plugins today, I "saw" D as soon as we reconnected. I am happy.

Conclusion? Don't always blame the program immediately! The problem most likely is at your end!

And, you are right, with the problems I was having, D was reluctant to upgrade to version 3.1.5. Maybe now he'll do it.

Thanks for the patience!

Regards again,
Roberto
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear that things are working again.

It sounds like I need to add a warning message for when JoinFS can not get exclusive access to the X-Plane aircraft. That should help to get to the bottom of these issues more quickly.

Peter
robstop

Post by robstop »

Great idea!
Although the research I did was (a bit of) fun
Enjoy the weekend
Roberto