JoinFS Multiplayer Map

Any questions regarding JoinFS.
Travis

JoinFS Multiplayer Map

Post by Travis »

Hey Peter!

I know it has been a while since I have posted. This is partially because you have been doing an AMAZING job and also because I was without a graphics card for 3 weeks. Everything that has been added since then has been superb!

Well I would like to suggest/request something if it is possible for the future. It definitely does not have to be any time soon, but I would like you to keep it in mind if you are looking for a project to do. That is to make a map with the ability to view it on a group's webpage. This way we could see who is flying and where they are flying. I think this would be best to implement(if you do decide to) after your network hub project has started/finished. Here is an example of our map: http://msflights.net/pilots/map/map.html I would be cool if it some of the features on the map had a way to show user's aircraft type, altitude, speed, and heading.

Again, Thanks for all your hard work,
Travis
Peter
Site Admin

Re: JoinFS Multiplayer Map

Post by Peter »

Hi Travis,

Glad you're back flying.

A map might be doable I hope. There was another request about making details available on web pages. Apparently it can be done by simply output a data file at intervals that can then be read by the web application. So I can easily do the file thing, and then if some clever chap is able to do the mapping side of things, that would be pretty awesome. I'll add it to the list.

Thanks,
Peter
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

Peter if you can create a file like the whazzup.txt file for FSD servers, then maps and apps have already been created to use such a file.

I can send you a whazzup.txt if you would like to look at one.
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Hi Andy,

yes that was it. Please send the file, thanks. If it looks straight forward then I can get this in sooner rather than later.

Peter
Pilote334

Post by Pilote334 »

Hi Peter,

I think a simpler file than whazzup could be made without a lot of work : One line per aircraft, each data separated by "/", because it's easy to explode the line in php coding. The whole file could bet updated every 120 seconds. The path (URL) of the file must be set in JoinFS to work correctly.
JoinFS must have writing rights on the site to make this feature possible. The best way is that JoinFS call a page with parameters in the URL.

Data needed :

- IP address of the aircraft (it's usefull to comunicate with it)
- Aircraft type (or boat or anything else)
- Callsign
- Immat (could be the same as callsign, but could be not)
- Position (in rad unit, more usefull to work with)
- altitude (in feet, not in FL)
- speed (in knots exclusively)

It's the minimum required, but you can add, if exists :

- Icao of departure
- Time of departure
- Icao of arrival
- estimated time of arrival
- Route planned
- Observations - remarks sent by the pilot for this flght.

That's all I think and it's enough to make something with these datas.

Yves
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Just wondering where exactly this file should be written to? Can I just output it to the JoinFS data folder or would a path need to be specified in the JoinFS settings? And as Yves suggested, does this also need to be written remotely via http?

Since this has been requested a few times, I'll try to get it into the next version.

Thanks,
Peter
vedum

Post by vedum »

Hi Peter,

Here is the format file for the whazzup.txt.

http://doc.sd.ivao.aero/doku.php?id=da:whazzup:desc

Best regards,
Stéphane
Pilote334

Post by Pilote334 »

Hi Peter,

If whazzup.txt is choosen, it must be written on the site that hosts it. So, datas must be transmitted by http request that call a page on the site that write whazzup.txt. This to permit a writing on the site without needing special autorisation. The page called has permissions to write on the site folder, joinfs doesn't need that. It just need to call the right page with the good request (datas). A lot of examples of php pages exists to catch the datas transmitted and to write whazzup.txt file.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year soon.

Yves
beneidemthepilot

Post by beneidemthepilot »

Hey Peter. Merry Christmas! If you would be able to output data into an SQL database, I'm sure either myself or someone else on here could write a PHP/JavaScript page to display the data into a Google maps overlay. Maybe in the joimFS settings you'd Include a spot for the user to enter database credentials to output to, to make this work? I'd think that might be the easiest way to do it???

I was able to output a Google maps overlay of FAA video maps as a start of a website based ATC system on my development site that I've been working on.
gugaua

Post by gugaua »

Hello Guys,

thats a fabulous idea with exporting flight data directly by JoinFS.

Our community is planning to use JoinFS to feed FlightAirMap with https://github.com/Ysurac/FlightAirMap
I hope that feature will be comming soon!

gugaua
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

gugaua wrote: Our community is planning to use JoinFS to feed FlightAirMap with https://github.com/Ysurac/FlightAirMap
I hope that feature will be comming soon!

gugaua
Hi gugaua,

sounds great. Hopefully it won't be too long. :)
Bluebird1

Post by Bluebird1 »

Hi Travis
A possible temporary solution would be to use a moving map addon. A free verson is Little Nav Map. A couple of payware maps are FSTramp anf Flight Sim Commander.
Of course each pilot would need to install the map.
All will show the data you are interested as well as the tail numbers. The plane icons move on the map very smoothly.
This works great on a multi monitor system.