Aircraft type

Any questions regarding JoinFS.
ATC Roo

Aircraft type

Post by ATC Roo »

Here's a question.....

Can Aircraft type be sent the same way nicknames is?

An extra box underneath nicknames would enable ATC to see what ever the user has put as their aircraft type, instead of what their sim has substituted it as if they don't have that aircraft.
Peter
Site Admin

Re: Aircraft type

Post by Peter »

Hi Andy,

you normally see the aircraft that you have substituted rather than what they have substituted. Do you want to also see what the original model was or the aircraft they are using. I might be able to get the aircraft type, for example C172.

Perhaps it would be better to show the aircraft type in the list and then the substituted model in the aircraft details?

Peter
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

I was more thinking that if you didn't have a similar type.

For example if you as a ATC only had the default aircraft installed and a pilot joined in a BAE146 200 aircraft.

You could substitute it as say a 737, but then on your radar screen it would show TYPE B738 where as the actual type is B462.

For controllers it doesn't matter so much about substitutions as all the blips look the same.
But if the type did show what the pilot was actually flying, the controller then knows how fast that aircraft will likely turn or descend.

Controllers who like to control to real world procedures will then be able implement the correct wake turbulence separation etc.
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

I see what you mean. I can change the list model to be the pilot's actual model and then have the substitution model in the aircraft detail at the bottom. I think that would make more sense. What do you think?

Peter
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

That maybe helpful but to be honest it would mean minimising my Radar screen (which is usually in full screen mode) to look for details in the client.
And the type would still be incorrect on radar.

I'll try and explain this better using the picture below.

https://fsxtimes.files.wordpress.com/20 ... dar04w.jpg

I (and I imagine most other ATC) would have a screen setup similar to that above.
This allows us to quickly select an aircraft to check the details in the box positioned on the left in the above image.
The tags on radar also display the aircraft type which alternates every second or so with the altitude.

This is handy as you wouldn't put a P28A in front of a B738, as before you know it there's a loud bang and its merged into one aircraft to become a P738A.

The session info on the left of the screen displays the info controllers need for example the squawk you implemented which works a treat.

It's this session info causing me to keep asking for features such as the aircraft type, active com freq and Flight plan destination.

Because the nickname feature worked so well displaying the nickname on radar where the callsign tag usually is, I thought a similar feature for aircraft type could be implemented similar to other pilot clients like those used on the Vatsim and IVAO networks.

I know they all may not (if any) be possible to add, but it would complete the ATC part of JOINFS which is good news for us controllers that want to control on JOINFS networks.
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Ah, right, I now know what you mean.

Might be tricky, however I see that there is an ID that is blank there. I wonder if this is the 'Airline' or 'Flight Number' because I can set both of those. I can have a go at getting that to work. Would the ICAO aircraft code be sufficient or the complete aircraft title, similar to the model in the aircraft list?

Peter
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

Full aircraft title wouldn't work Peter as the type is also displayed on the radar screen as well as the radar session info.

If you see the screen in the picture above you can see C172 next to the destination.

The aircraft type ICAO found in the aircraft.cfg would probably work best thinking about it, as then the extra text box isn't needed.

The blank section is for the Multiplayer ID (The pilots Steam or Gamespy login name) This could maybe be useful for your nicknames?

The multiplayer ID is also shown in the aircraft tag above the aircraft when viewing as a pilot too.
So that would mean you could show a callsign and a nickname.

ATC ID is what is shown on radar.
First 3 of the airline and Flight number else if airline = none ATC ID = Aircraft reg.

I'm off work today so if it's of any help I can fire up my PC and post the list of variables the radar displays, like ATC_ID and TRANSPONDER:1 etc etc.
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Yes, ok, if you like. I might be able to fill those variables with at least some useful information, even if it's not completely in the correct place or meaning.

Peter
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

I hope the below might be of some use...

Code: Select all

<Macro id="SelectedCallsign" Name="SelectedCallsign">
            <MacroValue>(C:ITrafficInfo:S:ATC AIRLINE, string) d slen 0 > if{ 
0 3 ssub uc (C:ITrafficInfo:S:ATC FLIGHT NUMBER, string) scat }
els{ (C:ITrafficInfo:S:ATC ID) d slen 0 == if{ (C:ITrafficInfo:SelectedPlayerName) } }
</MacroValue>

The session Info List:

CALLSIGN: %( @SelectedCallsign ) As above.
ID: %((C:ITrafficInfo:SelectedPlayerName, string)) Steam/Gamespy Login name, usually shown in multiplayer only. Shows nothing in freeflight mode as default.
TX FREQ: %((C:ITrafficInfo:S:COM1 ACTIVE FREQUENCY, MHz)) Shows the active Com 1 radio frequency, generating the last freq the model used at the moment.
ACFT TYPE: %((C:ITrafficInfo:S:ATC MODEL, string)) Shows the ATC model that your sim is using, not what is being flown. 
ALTITUDE: %((C:ITrafficInfo:S:PLANE ALTITUDE, feet) 100 / near 100 *) Works already.
GRNDSPD:  %((C:ITrafficInfo:S:AIRSPEED TRUE, KNOTS) ) Works already.
TRACK: %((C:ITrafficInfo:S:PLANE HEADING DEGREES MAGNETIC, degrees) ) Works already.
SQUAWK: %((C:ITrafficInfo:S:TRANSPONDER CODE, number) )Didn't work at first, but now works great since you implemented it in an early version.
FLIGHT PLAN: %((C:ITrafficInfo:SelectedFlightPlan) ) Doesn't work in FSX at all, unless your open the radar in freeflight mode and have AI traffic enabled. Something that Microsoft half completed, could be useful for something.
If your able to transmit any of the above information through the JOINFS client it would be very much appreciated and helpful for us budding ATC.
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

Com freq working great in 1.0.15 Peter.

ATC mode also seems to be doing the trick.

Thanks for the speedy work.
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

You're welcome. :)

Peter