Complete Desync of every aircraft. Connection Speed related?

Report problems with JoinFS.
Tisor

Complete Desync of every aircraft. Connection Speed related?

Post by Tisor »

Hi Peter,

On our last flights, we are suffering a nightmare with JoinFS. It get desync everytime, and we don't know why.

Logs don't show nothing strange, appart from Simconnect Exception: 3.

Situation:
  • Server is a JoinFS instance running on a PC acting only as server, running on a symetric 300mbps connection.
  • All using FSX Steam Edition
  • All flying VRS Superbug + Tacpack, with Broadcast deactivated.
  • I'm flying with 300 mbps up/down connection.
  • My buddies are flying with less than 10 mbps down / 1mbps up connection (around 8 down, 0,7 up)
At some point, planes start to float and desync, dissapear from the list, appear under the ground...

We found that opening Active Sky for example cause the desync on one of my buddies. With low connection. Maybe is this the issue? Low Bandwith option was also tried, with no success.

When we flew all with high speed connections, everything works like a charm. Problem looks to occur with the buddies with lower speed connection. Is this normal? What's the minimum speed connection needed to run JoinFS?

Sorry for the poor report, but I'm at work at the moment and I'm planing tonights flight, so maybe we can test something else to fix this.

Regards
Tisor
Peter
Site Admin

Re: Complete Desync of every aircraft. Connection Speed related?

Post by Peter »

Hi Tisor,

that sounds odd. There was one report of a similar desync issue, but that was about a year ago. JoinFS uses a tiny amount of bandwidth. If you have ten aircraft in the session, half a megabit connection should be ok. The more people who join with low bandwidth the more likely you are to start seeing problems.

Try getting everyone to close any open JoinFS views, so just have the main JoinFS window open, and then minimize that. See if that helps.

Peter
Tisor

Post by Tisor »

Peter wrote:Hi Tisor,

that sounds odd. There was one report of a similar desync issue, but that was about a year ago. JoinFS uses a tiny amount of bandwidth. If you have ten aircraft in the session, half a megabit connection should be ok. The more people who join with low bandwidth the more likely you are to start seeing problems.

Try getting everyone to close any open JoinFS views, so just have the main JoinFS window open, and then minimize that. See if that helps.

Peter
We were 3 pilots, so that's strange.

Will try that tonight.

Can it be a SimConnect related issue? That when a lot of programs try to interact with it, it get "overloaded" and cannot manage anymore JoinFS?

Is strange as I said, very odd... 2 days before that happen we made a perfect fly on JoinFS+IVAO we were very proud of.

Will report after tonight flight.

Thank you Peter for the fast support.
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

One thing that would be useful to look at is the 'Route' column in the User list and see if they are all 'Direct' connections. If you see a number value in there then it means that it's re-routing the traffic, usually because of connection problems due to people not using port forwarding.

If you have a large proportion of people in the session that do not use port forwarding then you're more likely to have problems, so try to get as many as you can to enable port forwarding and that may help as well.

Peter
Tisor

Post by Tisor »

Hi Peter,

We found the cause of the desync. When JoinFS window is minimized, the desync starts with the user who do it.

We have checked 4 times, all 4 times occur.

Monitor Log:
https://gyazo.com/c9f28f5ba4ae2510beb34e6a9293baa3

Settings are the same as mine, picture here:
https://gyazo.com/2a9147e10f05d1d1feefe5c05852a0d6

We tried changing the "Minimize to system tray" deactivating it and it looks to work fine now.

We are gonna fly and see if it occurs again. Will report later.
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Thanks, Tisor, that's a great find. I'll do some checks here as well.

Peter
Tisor

Post by Tisor »

Peter wrote:Thanks, Tisor, that's a great find. I'll do some checks here as well.

Peter
Hello,

Confirmed: When Minimizing to system tray, desync occurs and JoinFS must be restarted. Without this option clicked, everything works like a charm. We made the flight perfectly and tested after landed: everyone fail when doing that.

Hope you can find something on that. As I said, deactivating Minimize to System Tray fix the problem for us.
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Thanks again. Very helpful.

Are you on Windows 10?

Peter
Tisor

Post by Tisor »

Peter wrote:Thanks again. Very helpful.

Are you on Windows 10?

Peter
Windows 7 Ultimate.

If it's helping, Spanish Language on the OS, and FSX Steam for everyone.