v1.2.3 installation issue

Report problems with JoinFS.
stevieb

v1.2.3 installation issue

Post by stevieb »

Until yesterday all versions of JoinFS have behaved well on my pc, and I've been using the program since its early days. Yesterday, however, I decided to update from 1.1.16 to 1.2.3. I ran the installer, then launched JoinFS just as a check - it looked fine - closed it down again and switched off the pc until later.
On restarting, I found that the pc couldn't connect to the router. I investigated and eliminated all sorts of possible causes without ever suspecting JoinFS. Eventually though, and despite not having had cause to even restart JoinFS up to this point, I uninstalled it. Immediately, the router became visible and normal service was restored.
I'm now feeling somewhat averse to reinstalling without having understood exactly how this could have occurred. Please could anyone come up with an explanation that might reassure me? Has anyone else had a similar experience?
(Windows 10, Creators update, standard ethernet connection to router)
Peter
Site Admin

Re: v1.2.3 installation issue

Post by Peter »

Hi,

I think it's unlikely that JoinFS would have caused this issue, especially if you still had the problem when JoinFS wasn't running. What sort of home router are you using? Do you have port forwarding configured for JoinFS?

If your PC couldn't connect to the router then that suggests it was a problem with your local network. Restarting the router might have helped?

Peter
stevieb

Post by stevieb »

Rebooted both pc (several times) and router (Virgin broadband), swapped cables and ports. No other problems anywhere else on the home network. Port forwarding is enabled and this setup has supported JoinFS and FSX Multiplayer without fail in the past. Everything worked up to the point of installing v1.2.3 and started working again at the point of uninstalling. I think the evidence does point towards JoinFS on this occasion. And it's the fact that it was all happening when JoinFS wasn't active that actually concerns me!
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

All I can suggest is that you reinstall it and see if the problem returns.

Peter
stevieb

Post by stevieb »

Following a reinstall, as you suggested Peter, it looked promising at first - the router was still there. A little later though, I realised that I wasn't getting the usual performance, so I ran a broadband speed test which reported just over 2Mbps download speed. On uninstalling JoinFS again, the speed immediately reverted to its normal 200+ Mbps! A second computer on the network was also showing 200+ Mbps throughout.
I'm concerned that there's a possibility that the download may have contained malware, although to be fair malwarebytes hasn't detected anything.
In any case, whatever it is that's caused this, I don't think I'll be reinstalling this version in a hurry.
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

I'm afraid I have no idea why that is. I've had no reports of anything similar to this. I'll keep an eye out anyway.

Thanks,
Peter
fseindhoven

Post by fseindhoven »

Delete all, including the section in C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Local\JoinFS, clean registry and Re-install as administrator and check the firewall settings in windows...then
check your LAN ip of the system where JoinFS is running and check in the router to have this ip (192.168.x.y) forwarded with port 6112. Save and Restart the router. Start JoinFS as administrator.