v1.1.8 sharing cockpit problems.

Report problems with JoinFS.
Deano1973

v1.1.8 sharing cockpit problems.

Post by Deano1973 »

Hi Peter,

MODsim did a major test of the cockpit sharing controls last night. I wasn't present for it but I'm afraid there were lots of problems:

Variable altitude differences in cockpit, over 1,000ft at times.
Control surfaces reversed for some users ( visually, not in terms of actual aerodynamics ).
Throttle setting variables, pilots and co-pilots not seeing the same things.
Brakes jamming on, might have related some some of us using pedals and others not
Control movements were pretty jerky, would have made for a difficult time in determining pilot competence.

I've asked for logs for you to de-bug, and will post them below as soon as I can ( if anybody sends one! ) but am out most of today so will hopefully get them to you tomorrow.

We've rolled back to v1.1.6 for now.

Cheers,
Peter
Site Admin

Re: v1.1.8 sharing cockpit problems.

Post by Peter »

Thanks, Dean,

Don't worry about the logs, I'm making quite a few changes at the moment.

Peter
Deano1973

Post by Deano1973 »

Hi Peter,

Understood mate. I should add that externally, 1.1.8 was reported as smooth as ever and passenger mode was likely unaffected. I had not realised that passenger mode and shared controls were distinct from each other until reading another recent post here. I think that one of the problems here is that with changes occurring regularly there is no set way of determining what's current with each version, if you see what I mean? For instance, one can share cockpit from the aircraft list, but also from the node list, and "share cockpit with everyone" is also hidden away in the node list - not necessarily the first place one would look for it.

One user at MODsim did come back with a log so I'm attaching it just in case it helps as you never know what clues might be contained within.

For the record, we consider your work to be the biggest step forward in flight simulation multiplayer for many years and already exceeding the capabilities of FSX Multiplayer by some margin. We test each JoinFS simply to provide as much feedback as we can, and any issues we report are merely bugs in an already great package. Pretty much all MP orgs are rooting for you here Peter so just keep doing what you're doing because it's working :)

Cheers,
ffn10.zip
(1.68 KiB) Downloaded 335 times
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Can you share cockpit from the aircraft list? I think that's how it used to work, but it's all done from the node list now. It's basically controlling permissions per person. Once permissions are set then that person can enter the cockpit of your aircraft.

I suppose it doesn't help that it's called the 'Nodes' list. Perhaps it's worth renaming that. It used to be Pilots, but it could include ATC as well. Any suggestions? Maybe Players list (although that sounds a bit too game-related)

The 'Enter Cockpit' button really needs to be on the aircraft list because you can enter any of your own aircraft as well, for example, you can enter the cockpit of a recorded aircraft that you're currently playing back.

Thanks for the encouragement ;) It is starting to seem a bit like a marathon, but I ain't giving up. :D

Peter
HC447LO*SP*David

Post by HC447LO*SP*David »

Hi Peter , Noobie here ! however is it possable to share control/controls please ? ( ie, like shift+T ) ?
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Hi David,

First open the Nodes windows from the menu, View|Nodes. Then select the person you want to allow into your cockpit. Click the Share Cockpit button and select the permissions for that person. Once you've done that, the other person can select your aircraft from View|Aircraft and click Enter Cockpit.

However, in version 1.1.8 the shared cockpit doesn't work well at all. If I was you I would wait for 1.1.9. ;)

Peter
Deano1973

Post by Deano1973 »

Share cockpit from the aircraft list is still there in 1.1.8 but greyed out, presumably because of the permissions system now in place. I don't know if anyone at MODsim knew that aircraft had to be selected individually Peter for shared controls - when I tested it I simply jumped into the cockpit of the server aircraft and wiggled some controls to see if they moved before quitting and leaving the full test to the chaps later that evening.

Could that have caused the issues? Everyone just selected "share my aircraft with everyone" and went from there I think.

With regards to the Nodes list name, what about "Users" or similar?

Cheers,
Dean
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

That sounds better. I'll change the Nodes list to Users. And change the Share Cockpit button to Permissions. That will make more sense.

And rather than disabling buttons I'll leave them enabled, but show a warning instead. For example, "The owner of this aircraft has not given you permission to enter the cockpit", etc.

Peter