1.1.2 TCP Port Space Failure

Report problems with JoinFS.
BG2518-Bob

Re: 1.1.2 TCP Port Space Failure

Post by BG2518-Bob »

Jos,

Do you still not get TV connections then either way that UDP tick is set?

That is to say does running JoinFS still have the same effect of locking out the PC?

Bob.
PH-LCS

Post by PH-LCS »

Bob,

As for now my laptop is still running with all servers up. No dropouts.
Teamviewer is still up and running. This afternoon 4 nodes connected and no problems found.

Gr.Jos
BG2518-Bob

Post by BG2518-Bob »

If you are still up and running?

What did you do to stop the lockouts.

BG2518-Bob.
PH-LCS

Post by PH-LCS »

Bob,

Last sunday I had to reboot the laptop due to no internet connection on Chrome ...... and lost connection with TV ..... :evil:

And I still cannot find the reason why is closes the connection. Nothing found in the TCP/UDP ports ......

gr.
Jos
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Are you both using the same virus scanner? I'm just wondering if that has anything to do with it.

Peter
PH-LCS

Post by PH-LCS »

I am using Windows Defender.

Jos
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

PH-LCS wrote:I am using Windows Defender.
Same here. So it's not that then. This is very odd, I'll keep looking.

Peter
BG2518-Bob

Post by BG2518-Bob »

I'm using Norton and had tried it both enabled and disabled.
BG2518-Bob

Post by BG2518-Bob »

Just updated to v1.1.6 TEST and am running this on server machine.

Plus ditched Teamviewer in favour of VNC Server on Server PC and VNC Viewer on my machine.

So I can still manage the server PC remotely.

Will report on how the machine responds as time goes by.

IF the machine stays up and running with NO lockouts I'll be happy.

We shall see !!

THANKS Peter.

&

THANKS Jos.

BG2518-Bob.
BG2518-Bob

Post by BG2518-Bob »

Oh Dear .....

36 hrs in ......

I have no remote access.

VNC Server (on the server pc) is not currently listening for Cloud connections.

Same as when using Teamviewer.

Also

Chrome is NON-Functional

Sorry Peter but JoinFS IS the culpret and I cannot use it as a server like this nor would I wish to use it as a client when this issue has implications for the running of the O.S. and internet connectivity in general.

I think I have to pass this over wholesale now.

BG2518-Bob.
BG2518-Bob

Post by BG2518-Bob »

BTW - same system error regarding TCP Port Space
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Ok, Bob. Your decision. As you know there are many people running JoinFS on servers 24/7 without issue. I would like to make that point.

Did you check the state of the ports with PerfMon? If there is nothing showing up there I can only imagine it's a bug in Windows 10.

Just PM me if you would like a refund of the donation. That's no problem at all.

Best regards,
Peter
PH-LCS

Post by PH-LCS »

Bob,

Said to hear that you have still the problem while using another Remote Viewer.

I must say as for now my TV and Chrome are still working and JoinFS is still stable.

gr.
Jos
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

I've just thought of another possible cause. If the simulator isn't running, JoinFS continually attempts to connect every ten seconds until you eventually run FSX/P3D. Obviously if you don't run the simulator then it will try thousands of times over a 24 hour period. I'm almost certain that the simconnect module uses a TCP port to connect. This has occurred to me before now, but I've only just realized that it doesn't have to work like that.

There's a couple of ways I can change this. I could restrict it to just doing two or three attempts when you first run JoinFS, and then possibly have a menu option to retry, once you have a simulator running. That way, if you're running it as a standalone client it won't continually try to connect. I'll get this into the next version.

Peter
BG2518-Bob

Post by BG2518-Bob »

Peter,

I am pleased you may have FOUND the problem with JoinFS i.e. it looking for an active sim running on the same computer.

A simple option presumably would be to have an option for "True Server Use" i.e. with NO sim running as I and others would do presumably.

I was a bit taken aback by the "your decision" reply as I actually do not know of anyone who is using JoinFS as a server i.e. without the sim running and with a remote connection except for Jos who experiences the same issue I do.

My "decision" was simply the only way I could continue to have the PC as an available machine to work with. I would have thought you'd understand that?

I simply can't have ANY app stop the use of the PC and I see no other decision anyone could make.

AND, to possibly cite the OS, Win 10 as the issue seemed odd too. But I do understand we have to examine everything.

PLUS, I have said before I am happy to donate again and again for the obvious effort(s) you go to to resolve issues with JoinFS and the advancements you have made and are continuing to make.

Once my donations are made they are YOURS, non-refundable.

Lets see if your latest FANTASTIC idea can solve this and I'll continue to donate.

I don't want you giving up on this because I can't do anything to help except follow your lead.

Thanks - I look forward to it.

BG2518-Bob.
BG2518-Bob

Post by BG2518-Bob »

BTW

I will test your idea/suggestion that a sim running would stop this lockout happening.

It's not want I want to do obviously but it is a good test surely?

Plus perhaps Jos can try that also.

You know what, I get the feeling he was running the sim also actually - bugger, if true.

BG2518-Bob.
PH-LCS

Post by PH-LCS »

Bob,

I am not running a flightsim on the laptop. It's running only as a server like yours. Also a feloiw pilot runs JoinFS on a separate W10 machine only as a server. He experience the same problem as we do.

I will install FSX on the laptop just to see if this solves our problems. Will inform you.

Gr.Jos
PH-LCS
BG2518-Bob

Post by BG2518-Bob »

Jos,

Thanks mate !!!

We are all helping Peter and the community - that's cool.

BG2518-Bob.
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

Just to throw a spanner in the works.

I run 3 PCS (usually) and a couple of raspberry Pis.
1 x Laptop (Dual boot Kubuntu and win10)
1x Desktop (win 7)
1x Linux Server (Centos 6)

I mainly use my Laptop and connect to the other PCS through a VNC connection (Tight VNC) and SSH (Putty) have done for years.

I use all three to run JoinFS when I'm testing different scenarios.
All three run JoinFS on a different port forwarded to that machine through my routers.

The Linux server is an old AMD DUAL CORE and usually hosts 24/7 JoinFS, Teamspeak 3, Apache Webserver hosting webpage and files to download, an FSD server connected to other FSD servers in the US and Oz, A Roger Wilco Server, Currently a Euroscope VCCS TS3 server, Sometimes Amatuer Radio Software and a PBX and it always runs BOINC when it's resources are low enough (which is 90% of the time).

I reboot it every 3 months or so for 30 seconds.

I've never lost Internet connection and ALL the services I'm hosting work.

I use the other PCS to connect to the Linux PC with JOINFS and with the exception of external pilots dropping from my laptop client, when its connected internally to my Linux node (known issue).
I've never experienced a connection problem with JoinFS.

So I'm wondering what you fellas have in common that causes this issue?

Same firewall?
Same software running?
Same ISP?
Same make of router?
Same Ethernet adapter?
If you run something like flight sim at the same time does that help?
Etc etc.....

If you both have the same issue there must be something in common to help track it down.
BG2518-Bob

Post by BG2518-Bob »

ATC Roo

Hey, all inputs are welcome !!

The spanner in any comparison that you suggest might be that your 24/7 LINUX server example is not the same as what we've been attempting as a server. Thus, not the same setup/scenario to start with.

i.e. this IS the setup:
WIN 10 O.S.
JoinFS running
NO flight sim running
Either Teamviewer OR VNC

NO machine we have used (in our group of virtual flyers) has ANY issue with JoinFS in connecting TO this server as (perhaps) they are ALL running P3D or FSX during their connections and are only connected for a relatively short space of time (an hour or two).

The server issue (lockout as I'm calling it) only occurs after some considerable random times e.g. 24/36 or 48 hours of constant running with NO sim running (as noted throughout this).

I now have the server (as above) running but with P3D running also in the hope that (as Peter says) if JoinFS finds the sim then it will stop requesting it's existence via TCP polls that WIN 10 doesn't seem to be able to handle (in conjunction with TV or VNC) after an extended period.

I really ought to test this a bit better WITHOUT TV or VNC running to check IF JoinFS (on its own without a sim) will lock out the PC.

BUT, for the moment I'm seeing how a combo of JoinFS and a sim plays out.

I'm about 30 hrs in so far and all seems fine. I can still connect via VNC and Chrome is still functioning.

In a few days I will know more and keep Peter informed.

Thanks again ATC Roo for your detailed description of your setup.

You are certainly "different" with the hardware you use - love it !!!

BG2518-Bob.