Report problems with JoinFS.
BG2518-Bob

1.1.2 TCP Port Space Failure

Post by BG2518-Bob »

Peter,

Sorry, lost your email address.

Have issue with 1.1.2

Looks to be incompatible with TeamViewer / Windows 10

After a few hours of a server being available to our group i.e. JoinFS is running, I lose the ability to connect to that pc via Teamviewer.

The server pc also loses all outgoing connectivity via Chrome.

After a re-boot all is fine again BUT the last re-boot threw back a blue screen of death.

Event viewer to around the time the issue occured i.e. lack of Teamviewer connectivity shows:
A request to allocate an ephemeral port number from the global TCP port space has failed due to all such ports being in use.

Looks to me like JoinFS may have an undesirable effect on the pc it may be running on.

Again, I have remove JoinFS whilst you take a real good look at this.

BTW

I believe we are looking at about 4000 port connections that are possible concurrently but our "closed" group is of a dozen who may reconnect now and then so thats a max of 100 over a few hours. Something else is occurring OUTSIDE of our group via connection(s) to your server(s) which personally I would like the option of NOT having entirely i.e. not simply to say I don't want to be a part of a hub but to ACTIVELY NOT have any physical connection out side of an authorised password protected group. I'd pay a healthy sum for such a program.

Thanks,

BG2518 - Bob
Last edited by BG2518-Bob on Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
Site Admin

Re: 1.1.2 TCP Port Space Failure

Post by Peter »

Hi Bob,

JoinFS just uses port 6112 by default or another port if you specify one in the settings. It doesn't use any TCP ports, only UDP.

Are you sure you've configured port forwarding correctly on the router? That may be the cause.

Peter
BG2518-Bob

Post by BG2518-Bob »

Peter,

JoinFS is no longer running.

If in the next 24 hours or more I do not see a failure of Teamviewer connection I have to place HUGE suspicion on JoinFS surely.

The fact that it works when in use shows I have port forwarding set up properly ? Or how otherwise can I tell ?

Bob.
BG2518-Bob

Post by BG2518-Bob »

Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

BG2518-Bob wrote: The fact that it works when in use shows I have port forwarding set up properly ? Or how otherwise can I tell ?
Not at all. If you haven't logged into your router and enabled port forwarding on a UDP port to the internal IP address of your PC, then you haven't set up port forwarding.

Peter
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

BG2518-Bob wrote: I believe we are looking at about 4000 port connections
UDP ports are connection-less, so you don't actually have a connection to the port. It's just like a mail box that receives individual messages. Where did you get that number from?

Peter
BG2518-Bob

Post by BG2518-Bob »

I had set up port forwarding 6464:6470 to my local address of the pc 192.x.x.x on BOTH UDP/TCP

I use one of the ports within that range.

Without this forwarding JoinFS did not function.

I have amended the router forwarding to be a SINGLE port only via UDP.

I will let you know how this gets on.

The 4000 figure is something I read i.e. between 1000 and 5000 on TCP and seems not to apply.

I appreciate your help Peter and will provide more feedback.

Bob.
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

It sounds like your port forwarding is ok then.

If the error messages imply that your PC has run out of resources, then your best bet is to analyze your PC and actually see what is being allocated while JoinFS is running.

I would start by using the command line tool 'netstat'. 'netstat /?' will display the options of the tool. I would suggest trying 'netstat -ab 5'. This will show all of the network connections and which program executable is responsible for opening it. It will refresh every five seconds until you do Ctrl-C to quit.

I expect there are probably some better and more user friendly tools out there to do a similar job, but I've only used netstat myself.

Hopefully using that you'll be able to see more accurately what is happening.

Hope that helps,
Peter
BG2518-Bob

Post by BG2518-Bob »

I'll try theses things as soon as I can .......

"analyze your PC and actually see what is being allocated while JoinFS is running."

Can I ask if you have done this yourself and if you've discounted JoinFS entirely?

I don't really want to be finger pointing incorrectly any further when I know you've confirmed this is nothing to do with JoinFS.

Thanks again Peter.

Bob.
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

I haven't discounted JoinFS, but I've not heard of anyone else having this problem.

I ran my hub for about ten minutes and didn't see anything out of place. I shall run it for the rest of the day and see if anything shows up.

Thanks,
Peter
BG2518-Bob

Post by BG2518-Bob »

Apart from Norton and Teamviewer, JoinFS is the only other program I'm "knowingly" running on what is absolutely a stand alone dedicated pc for this job.

I know there is a wealth of *rap under the bonnet in Win 10.

We shall see what happens.

Thanks again.

Bob.
BG2518-Bob

Post by BG2518-Bob »

Peter,

With the change on port-forwarding of the chosen port for JoinFS from BOTH i.e. TCP/UDP to simply UDP this looks like it has cured the Port Space Failure that caused the pc to effectively lock up.

My failure to apply port-forwarding correctly seems to have caused this and NOT JoinFS.

Always worth having this info for others though I guess.

Many thanks Peter.

BG2518-Bob.
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Glad you found the problem, Bob.

I'll make the documentation clearer.

Best regards,
Peter
BG2518-Bob

Post by BG2518-Bob »

I spoke too soon.

I eventually did get the error again after about 36hrs of operation.

i.e. an inability to connect to the server pc via TeamViewer (timeout). On looking at the pc itself I note I cannot use any internet services. Port Space Error.

Without JoinFS v1.1.2 running I get no error.

Have abandoned 1.1.2 in favour of your 1.1.4 and will let you know if I get this error lockout again.

Cheers,

BG2518-Bob.
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Hi Bob,

did you get a chance to try 'netstat -ab 5'? That will show you all the ports allocated on your PC. It should show what is allocating the TCP ports.

To be on the safe side don't post any results of netstat on the forum. Either check them over yourself or PM a section to me. Basically your looking for a repeated listing of port used by a program, the name of which will be shown in brackets, i.e. [Program]

This might also be of interest, http://superuser.com/questions/590686/t ... ing-in-use

Peter
BG2518-Bob

Post by BG2518-Bob »

Hi Peter,

I DID what you asked for when both 1.1.2 and 1.1.4 were and were NOT running.

There were NO noticed consistent uses of TPC ports that appeared to have affect on empirical ports.

I'm no expert "obviously" but I'm simply following the error noted in Windows Event Logs which seemed to explain the inability of the PC to make an outgoing connection via Chrome and to allow incoming connections via TeamViewer.

Note JoinFS (both version) continued to function as did Teamspeak.

As stated, it is ONLY when JoinFS is running after some considerable time (12/24/48 hours, it varies) that I have the issue with TeamViever connections and with Chrome.

So, something in the operation of JoinFS is DEFINITELY having an adverse impact on these other apps and Win 10.

Cheers,

BG2518 - Bob.

p.s.
http://deploymentresearch.com/Research/ ... P-IP-ports
This is precisely the issue but only with joinFS running.

I won't be modifying my registry of course.
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

It may be related to the bit of code that checks the current version from the JoinFS website. I've added something that is supposed to clear up the resources used in the process. There's a chance that may be it, albeit a small one.

Peter
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

I've also noticed that I do regular DNS lookups for servers with address names. This happens every few minutes. I'll try caching them internally instead. You never know.

Peter
BG2518-Bob

Post by BG2518-Bob »

Peter,

Thanks for reviewing so well.

Shall I wait for the next release to test?

BG2518-Bob.
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Yes, sorry, it will be worth checking test version 1.1.5, which I expect will be released at the weekend.

Peter