JFS Starts/Stops

Report problems with JoinFS.
dds

JFS Starts/Stops

Post by dds »

Hi,

I wonder if anyone else has experienced this issue that is happening to a RAFAC colleague of mine.

JoinFS starts, briefly appears and then dissappears. It hasn't minimised and isn't showing under task manager. It really does start then stop.

It was all working Thurs and then not on friday. No changes to PC as far as we know - we are checking with the IT folks but can't see any updates that have been rolled out.

Have tried uninstalling and installing new versions and a number of different versions but to no avail...all show the same - briefly (1sec) on then dissapears.

Any suggestions gratefully recieved.

Dom
Peter
Site Admin

Re: JFS Starts/Stops

Post by Peter »

Hi Dom,

It might be related to a problem I found a few hours ago.

First can you ask them to check the logs in the Monitor view. If you see a message saying "Node failed to read message" then it's likely the same problem that I found.

I'll be putting down a fix in the next few hours, test version 1.5.6. http://pmem.uk/joinfs/development.html. So they could try that and see if the problem goes away.

Peter
dds

Post by dds »

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the speedy reply. I will get them to check out the log and point them to this thread too :-)

Cheers

Dom
dds

Post by dds »

Having seen the issue via a screen share, it's not on screen for long enough to open the monitor to check. Is there a back way in?
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

dds wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:56 pm Having seen the issue via a screen share, it's not on screen for long enough to open the monitor to check. Is there a back way in?
Ok, I don't think it's what I mentioned in the previous post.

Just to confirm, it wasn't after a JoinFS update was it? What version is he currently running?

Could he try installing the latest TEST version from here, https://pmem.uk/joinfs/development.html. This will install a separate JoinFS version on the desktop called "JoinFS (TEST)", which can also be uninstalled separately. See if that version works.

In the meantime, I think it will be a good idea to add a command line option which clears the registry settings and local data. If he still has problems then this might prove useful.

Peter
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Just had another thought. Could you try reinstalling the right SimConnect version, there is a link to it on the install page of the JoinFS website. I think I recall someone else having this same problem.

Peter
dds

Post by dds »

Hi Peter,

Yes, we tried the simconnect as part of the trials...however the good news appears to be that the test version has worked for him. Thanks for pointing out that. All sorted hopefully.

Dom
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

dds wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:10 pm Hi Peter,

Yes, we tried the simconnect as part of the trials...however the good news appears to be that the test version has worked for him. Thanks for pointing out that. All sorted hopefully.

Dom
Great, that's good news. There is still a possibility that the main version doesn't work even after being updated to the same version number. In which case it is almost certainly caused by a bad registry entry. If that happens then it should just be a case of clearing the JoinFS registry settings. But we'll soon see if this is the case once I release it.

Peter
dds

Post by dds »

Hi,

Looks like I spoke too soon. The challenge is back again :(

If he uninstalled and needed to clear the registry....what would he need to look for?

Many thanks

Dom
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Have you tried checking the Windows Event Viewer for any application errors?

If you right-click on the bottom left of the screen to bring up the Windows Menu and select Event Viewer. Then open up Windows Logs on the left panel and select Application. In the middle panel you'll see a large list of events which should be in chronological order, so any errors should show near the top. See if you can see an Error at the time that the problem happened, select it and look at the details below to try to get some information about why it closed early.

Peter
dds

Post by dds »

Hi Peter,

We've looked at the errors that came up associated with JFS and all have been associated with a newer version alread installed rather than an error of it popping up for a split second and closing again.

We've pinpointed the date to the 13 Nov and then various versions have been attempted to be installed, a number of times.

Any advice gratefully received as they can no longer fly with us and is a key member of our team :)

Kind regards

Dom
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Could you try the following.

run RegEdit
Press Ctrl+F to open the search window
Make sure 'Values' is the only check box ticked
Enter 'WhazzupGlobal' and click Find Next
It should land on the list of JoinFS settings, check that the top bar says 'Peter Memmott\JoinFS' at the end
Find the value called 'AutoLog'
Change the value of 'AutoLog' to '1'
close Regedit

Run JoinFS so that it opens and closes as it has been doing

Then go to your Windows User folder and look in 'AppData\Local\JoinFS'
Open the 'log-current.txt' or 'log-current-TEST.txt' depending on which version you ran.

And see if there are any errors in there, or post the contents here.

Hopefully that might shed some light on it.

Peter
dds

Post by dds »

Hi Peter,

The Autolog value doesn't exist in the registry I'm afraid...there was an auto join...

Oddly my colleague managed to install a test version which worked last night and then today is back to the same challenge. So we looked at the registry together today.

He's due to receive a new PC early next week and will see how that goes.

Thanks so much for your support. It is really appreciated.

Dom
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

dds wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:33 am Thanks so much for your support. It is really appreciated.
No problem.

Sorry, I should have stated that if "AutoLog" isn't there, then add it as a new value with the data set to '1'. That should cause any messages to go to the file.

Peter
dds

Post by dds »

Here's what he found:

27/11/2020 17:23:36.965 Started version 1.5.6 on port 6112
27/11/2020 17:23:37.044 Connected to simulator
27/11/2020 17:23:37.044 SimConnect 5.0.0.0
27/11/2020 17:23:37.044 Lockheed Martin® Prepar3D® v5 5.0.31.35253
27/11/2020 17:23:37.104 No such host is known

Cheers

Dom