SIMCOM X Voice application

Suggestions, ideas and general discussion about JoinFS.
kc10b747fe

Re: SIMCOM X Voice application

Post by kc10b747fe »

Thanks for the info. I'll try to check it out this coming week.

Tony J
dale152

Post by dale152 »

Hi Roo,

The new version of SIMCOM X isn't really working for us. With 4 users connected earlier, each of us experienced freezing of SIMCOM X and also some error appears when pressing CONFIG (but only after connecting).

We all managed to connect in SCX mode, and could see each other's transmissions appearing as a TX - but there were issues with hearing one another. Sometimes, someone could hear one person but not the other, and this worked interchangeably. Basically, sometimes we could hear each other and sometimes we could not, and it wasn't consistently one user that wasn't heard.

I appreciate this description is a little bit on the vague side, but there's no other way I can explain it. All our inputs/outputs are selected correctly.

Kind Regards,
Dale
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

dale152 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:29 pm Hi Roo,

The new version of SIMCOM X isn't really working for us. With 4 users connected earlier, each of us experienced freezing of SIMCOM X and also some error appears when pressing CONFIG (but only after connecting).

We all managed to connect in SCX mode, and could see each other's transmissions appearing as a TX - but there were issues with hearing one another. Sometimes, someone could hear one person but not the other, and this worked interchangeably. Basically, sometimes we could hear each other and sometimes we could not, and it wasn't consistently one user that wasn't heard.

I appreciate this description is a little bit on the vague side, but there's no other way I can explain it. All our inputs/outputs are selected correctly.

Kind Regards,
Dale
Very much appreciated, Thanks Dale. It's not as vague as you think.

I think I know what the freezing is.

I had an issue with the early version, where by if FSX was ticked in the config and no SIM was connected to FSX then the program froze whilst it kept trying for the SIM.

I stupidly removed the check I had in place for that.
I'll work on a work around for it. In the meantime if you're able to check it isn't freezing with the FSX checkbox unticked, that would confirm it.

I'll need to see what the errors where when you got config in order to fix that, but I'll try and replicate it anyway.

If you all managed to see each other and see the TX that is also great news, as it means the basic network logic works which was my aim.

**Edit**
I've just fixed the no sound issue.
dale152

Post by dale152 »

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me. I'll try and reproduce the error when clicking config later on when I've got some others available. Either it's coincidence that it hasn't, or this issue only seems to happen when there's other people connected - as so far it's not happened when I'm on my own. It seems to be some form of .NET framework type error, or at least the dialogue displays that way.

About the freezing - I'd just like to note that a couple of us were connected in ATC mode, presumably with the FSX option unticked. But as I mention I'll try and verify this later when there's other people to help out.

I forgot to mention that, although this may just be a "me problem" as nobody else reported it, there's a short RX (maybe like half a second) following the release of the PTT, which has background static.

Thanks for sorting the no sound issue.

Kind Regards,
Dale
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

The short RX static was unintended, but I decided to leave it as I thought it added a bit of realism to the RT.

I can remove it if people find it annoying?
dale152

Post by dale152 »

Personally, I find it a little bit irritating - but I don't speak for anyone else here. It is a good indicator that your PTT worked, however, but I feel that could be implied in other ways. For instance the TX/RX finish sound options, though I can't seem to get those working. On some radios there's a short 'click' after the PTT is released, I assume that's what you were going for in the TX/RX finish sounds - if not I've got a short clip of that for 2 transmissions so you can hear what I'm on about: https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxTOBcC16-vk ... CljAptBTzG
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

Understood. I'll get rid of it next time I'm in that part of the code.

There's the sound options anyway if people like to have a mic click.

For now I've just uploaded a new version which should allow people to hear each other.
dale152

Post by dale152 »

Just done a bit of testing and I've managed to reproduce the error we were having.Image

We now also can't hear anyone (3 clients connected), there's a constant background static tone after you first release the PTT which lasts infinitely, but the TX light up isn't there except from immediately after release.

Hope this helps.
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

Are you able to post the log file contents?
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

Thanks dale.
I'm going through it and tidying up a few things now.

I've fixed the config issue.
And I'll release a new version once I'm happy with the rest shortly.

There is a log file in the Program Files(x86)/simcomx folder which may help shed light on any issues.
dale152

Post by dale152 »

###### SimCom X Log for Version 3.0.0.4 Created at 00:15:31 07/05/2022 Zulu ######
00:15:31 Our ID = 049b2713-f74e-48cf-813d-c35eb5e35ab6
00:15:32 Local IP = 192.168.1.19
00:15:32 External IP =
00:15:33 Upnp added UDP Port 7600
00:15:33 Confirmed with STUN!
00:15:33 Radio is listening on 7600
00:15:34 Added EGGP_TWR as a ATCv2
00:15:34 Not yet Verified!
00:15:34 COM 1 switched to ---.---
00:15:34 COM 2 switched to ---.---
00:15:34 Added EGGP_TWR as a ATCv2
00:15:38 COM 1 switched to 126.350
00:18:33 SimCom X Closing...
00:18:33 Clients Removed!
00:18:33 Port Removed!
00:18:33 Simcom X Closed Successfully!

I removed my personal IP, but I can't see anything here which appears to be an error.
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

I agree. All looks good

I've uploaded a newer version and I'm on it for the next 10mins.

One other thing I thought of is a couple of posts back regarding the windows mic setting.

I have a self test in the vccs which I might add to this client to prove the mic is working.
dale152

Post by dale152 »

Sounds good. We had a look into the Microphone Privacy settings and for each of us SIMCOM X was displayed as both allowed, and in use when connected. I'll try and run another group test tonight with the new version.

When it stopped working completely on the old one, the strange thing was that we all had the same microphone selected as what we were using to communicate on Discord - and of course they were all working fine.

So, it begs the question of whether it's that it's not picking up the input, or it's just not outputting it to the other clients. I did note that I used to be able to loop back my input by selected COM 2, but now when I transmit I don't hear myself like I used to.
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

I appreciate your help in testing it.

They way I've written this version (version 3) is a totally different kettle of fish to the previous version and I don't think I'm allowing it to "loopback" as it where.
I'll check later though as that might be a good way to prove a mic is working and audio is being sent.

I'll also add something to the log that shows when audio data is being received, which should help narrow down any issues.

It's obviously working fine for me and my testing, which is why I released it. 🙄
dale152

Post by dale152 »

That's fine, Roo. I'm watching this thread now so I'll get an Email when something gets posted here - do let me know if you need anything. I suppose it's trial and error, and I'm sure you will get to the bottom of everything soon.

Out of interest, how's the ATC client going?
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

It's basically built, but it uses the same background communications as this client.

Once this is working properly I'll update the ATC client with any changes I've made here and release it.
dale152

Post by dale152 »

Perfect, looking forward to it! :D
kc10b747fe

Post by kc10b747fe »

Hey Roo,

Using the new version 3005, With COM2 selected as the active radio, the standby frequency does not show what is actually in the radio. It shows the standby frequency of COM1. However when I switch between COM2 active and standby, the actual standby frequency that is showing in the aircraft for COM2 switches to active. Doing more testing.

Tony J
kc10b747fe

Post by kc10b747fe »

Roo,

We tried to test out the latest version on Simcom, however we could not hear each other at all in either SCX mode or Join Group server mode. We could see each other in the On frequency box and could see each others TX and RX lights, but no audio was heard. Verified we weren't on mute. Also verified that the audio input was selected to the correct microphone. The mic is testing good in Windows.

Verified that the issue with COM2 standby frequency occurs on my flying partners machine also.

Also on the config page under router config what goes in Real IP? I was unable to input anything as it it would not allow any data entry.

Hope this helps.

Tony J