SIMCOM X Voice application

Suggestions, ideas and general discussion about JoinFS.
Post Reply
ATC Roo
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:24 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: SIMCOM X Voice application

Post by ATC Roo »

Grumpy wrote:Greetings, Roo

Josh and I are playing with SC-X

So far, we have met with limited success.

simcom X mode gives Josh this error
Image

We changed to using your server as a host.
Under NETWORK , nothing is ticked.
Under Simulator, FSX is ticked
The stuck TX and RX key is still there, changed to Left CTRL cured THAT.
Josh does NOT have FSX or any sim running on his laptop.
At this point, we have ONE working Freq, 119.400
When ever I try to change freqs, nothing. Nothing happens, still 119.400
It LOOKS like I have changed, but it LIES!!!
we have tried 123.450 NO!
122.800 NO

Apart from these few hangups, , veeery interesting.

Regards etc......

Bob
Thanks Grumpy.
All the errors are appreciated so I can correct them.

The first one I also came across early today and know what it is.
I'll fix it shortly.

Looks like I'll have to revisited the stuck TX/RX, it's now back on the list.
Curious, did it timeout after 15 seconds of being stuck TX?

The last bit seems very weird.

122.800 should definitely work, in both group and SCX mode.
I've been using that a lot to test with somebody.

I tuned to 123.450 earlier on during my testing and found somebody else there testing.
A quick radio test, all seemed fine and I was off as I was testing something else at the time.
Not sure if that was you or Josh?

How do you know your on 119.400?
Is it in the frequency box?
Or does somebody tune to 119.400 and find you there?
I know it can lie, I'm just trying to work out why it's lying.
Quass
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:02 pm

Re: SIMCOM X Voice application

Post by Quass »

ATC Roo wrote: I tuned to 123.450 earlier on during my testing and found somebody else there testing.
A quick radio test, all seemed fine and I was off as I was testing something else at the time.
Not sure if that was you or Josh?

How do you know your on 119.400?
Is it in the frequency box?
Or does somebody tune to 119.400 and find you there?
I know it can lie, I'm just trying to work out why it's lying.
That was me (Josh) on 123.450 when you popped in, we were trying to test switching frequencies but, as Grumpy said, when he hit the switch frequency button nothing happened. We did also encounter a curious case whereby once he did manage to switch to 123.450, I was not showing in his list of aircraft on frequencies, but when I switched back to 119.400 I appeared in the list. This was further complicated by the frequencies behaving as normal (i.e. we could communicate via voice on 123.450 even though Grumpy could not see me in his callsign list). I don't know if this helps?

I would point out that I didn't experience any issues with switching frequencies, so I can't provide anything further on that front, only what I could glean from our post-testing conversation.

Thanks,

Josh
kc10b747fe
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:04 am

Re: SIMCOM X Voice application

Post by kc10b747fe »

Hi Roo,


I was able to do some testing this weekend and also today on the latest SIMCOMX app. I tested using only manual tuning at this time. I will try auto switching on another day and report back. Here's what I found.

1. I was able to connect all 3 of my machines on your server. I was able to transmit and receive with no problems. I was also able to see all machine names in the freq box. I did have an occasional stuck TX and RX light with both a joystick button or key selected. The lights did not time out after 15 secs and the only way to get rid of it was to shut down and restart the app. Just turning off the power button did not correct it. However it seemed like this occurred mostly on initialization when first trying to connect. When flying with a friend today, once connected and TX and RX correctly, we flew the entire flight (about a hour and a half) with me using a joystick button and him using a key, and we did not have any problems.

2. In SCX mode I was able to connect all 3 machines to 122.800 and transmit and receive. However if I switched to any other frequency, the app would crash on the machine trying to swap freq, with the same error message in my previous post.

3. I noticed in reference to the ghosting or 0 placed at the end of the call-sign, the call-sign indicates correctly on the transmitting machine and shows call-sign+0 on the receiving machine. So whatever machine I transmitted from, the call-sign on that machine always showed correct, and the receiving machines always showed call-sign+0.

4. I also tested with a friend today, and all of the above findings were consistent with the exception of seeing names in the freq box. Once connected, with both on the initial freq of 000.000 we were able to see each other in the freq box, and in the text box indicating that that person was tuned to that freq. TX and RX worked correctly. However when switching to 123.450, then transmitting, the the receiving persons call-sign would disappear in the freq box, and the "no one else is here" statement would appear, even though in the text box it showed that person tuned
to the correct freq. TX and RX still operated correctly.

5.There were some connection issues that seem to happen. For example one person being able to TX and RX, but the other person only being able to RX. To correct this, the only recourse was to have both shut down the app completely and then restarting. If only one tried restarting, the other person restarting would not see anyone in the freq or text box and was unable to TX or RX. The person that did not shut down would still show the other persons call-sign in his freq box but would not be able TX or RX. (As if the connection was still open).

6. In SCX mode between the two of us, we were able to connect on 122.800, TX and RX, but not on any other freq. Again when switching freq, we both received the error message and the app would crash.

7. In Group Host mode we were unable to connect to either of our listed IP addresses.

Questions:

8. In SCX mode does being on ATC 122.800, and being able to see each other in the freq box and being able to TX and RX, indicate that port 9988 is open?

9. When "Distance" is checked, What is the distance where the comms start to become degraded? Does "Distance" only apply if ATC is checked? and if not checked, am I correct in assuming that anyone on that freq anywhere in the world would hear the transmissions?

This app is a great addition for those of us on JoinFS who just want a simple interface to communicate on the radios without the need to install Team Speak or Discord. Thanks again for taking the time in creating it. I hope the info helps and let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Tony J
ATC Roo
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:24 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: SIMCOM X Voice application

Post by ATC Roo »

kc10b747fe wrote:Hi Roo,


I was able to do some testing this weekend and also today on the latest SIMCOMX app. I tested using only manual tuning at this time. I will try auto switching on another day and report back. Here's what I found.

1. I was able to connect all 3 of my machines on your server. I was able to transmit and receive with no problems. I was also able to see all machine names in the freq box. I did have an occasional stuck TX and RX light with both a joystick button or key selected. The lights did not time out after 15 secs and the only way to get rid of it was to shut down and restart the app. Just turning off the power button did not correct it. However it seemed like this occurred mostly on initialization when first trying to connect. When flying with a friend today, once connected and TX and RX correctly, we flew the entire flight (about a hour and a half) with me using a joystick button and him using a key, and we did not have any problems.

2. In SCX mode I was able to connect all 3 machines to 122.800 and transmit and receive. However if I switched to any other frequency, the app would crash on the machine trying to swap freq, with the same error message in my previous post.

3. I noticed in reference to the ghosting or 0 placed at the end of the call-sign, the call-sign indicates correctly on the transmitting machine and shows call-sign+0 on the receiving machine. So whatever machine I transmitted from, the call-sign on that machine always showed correct, and the receiving machines always showed call-sign+0.

4. I also tested with a friend today, and all of the above findings were consistent with the exception of seeing names in the freq box. Once connected, with both on the initial freq of 000.000 we were able to see each other in the freq box, and in the text box indicating that that person was tuned to that freq. TX and RX worked correctly. However when switching to 123.450, then transmitting, the the receiving persons call-sign would disappear in the freq box, and the "no one else is here" statement would appear, even though in the text box it showed that person tuned
to the correct freq. TX and RX still operated correctly.

5.There were some connection issues that seem to happen. For example one person being able to TX and RX, but the other person only being able to RX. To correct this, the only recourse was to have both shut down the app completely and then restarting. If only one tried restarting, the other person restarting would not see anyone in the freq or text box and was unable to TX or RX. The person that did not shut down would still show the other persons call-sign in his freq box but would not be able TX or RX. (As if the connection was still open).

6. In SCX mode between the two of us, we were able to connect on 122.800, TX and RX, but not on any other freq. Again when switching freq, we both received the error message and the app would crash.

7. In Group Host mode we were unable to connect to either of our listed IP addresses.

Questions:

8. In SCX mode does being on ATC 122.800, and being able to see each other in the freq box and being able to TX and RX, indicate that port 9988 is open?

9. When "Distance" is checked, What is the distance where the comms start to become degraded? Does "Distance" only apply if ATC is checked? and if not checked, am I correct in assuming that anyone on that freq anywhere in the world would hear the transmissions?

This app is a great addition for those of us on JoinFS who just want a simple interface to communicate on the radios without the need to install Team Speak or Discord. Thanks again for taking the time in creating it. I hope the info helps and let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Tony J
Hi Tony,

As always I'll be releasing a newer version shortly with these bug fixes.
I think it might help if I created a diagram too, showing features of the app and what they should do.

The main thing that stands out from yours and Grumpys feedback is the stuck TX/RX.
I think your right with the initializing.
I think it's getting hung up on something or trying to doo too many things at once.
I'll look into that next.

Your feedback.....
1. As above TX/RX needs looking at.

2.I've just fixed this after Grumpy mentioned it.

3. This may be the Nautical Miles your are away from that user?
If it's Zero, you either both have your lat lon set to zero which happens if you have no SIM connected or you have ATC mode ticked and the first 4 characters of or callsign are not an ICAO code (Ie EGLL_TWR or KLAX_APP), or you are both really close to each other.

4. Maybe the same issue Grumpy had with the app lying to you.
Should now be fixed.

5. Possibly fixed when fixing the above.

6. As number 2, now fixed.

7. Sounds like a UDP port 9988 not open or firewall issue.

8. No.
That will still happen even with the port closed or blocked by a firewall.
I'm looking into ways for a user to check if their port is available.
It's proving an issue at the moment as the port is UDP.
I'm working on it.....

9. With the distance box ticked, you will not hear anything 200nm away or further.
190 -200 miles will be quiet.
180-170 will be a bit louder.... and so on.

Within 40nm (off the top of my head) there is no restriction.

With the tick box UNTICKED you can hear everything worldwide.

Ticked or UNTICKED you still transmit worldwide.
It's only YOUR receive that gets limited.

Hope that helps.
Last edited by ATC Roo on Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ATC Roo
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:24 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: SIMCOM X Voice application

Post by ATC Roo »

I'm hoping that there'll now be a message when people fire up the app.
Please let me know how it all goes.

The out of range exception should be fixed.
The Active Freq now displays the channel you're in.

The app lying to you should be fixed.
The TX/RX may have inadvertently been fixed.
ATC Roo
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:24 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: SIMCOM X Voice application

Post by ATC Roo »

And good news.... sort of.

I've just experienced the TX/RX stick.

I think/hope it's just the light sticking on and that the person isn't still transmitting, hence no timeout.

If it does happen to a somebody, can you try and check my theory.

Ie if you have a stuck RX, can you still hear the other person.
Else a stuck TX light, can the other person still hear you?

Do comms still work regardless of what the light says?
ATC Roo
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:24 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: SIMCOM X Voice application

Post by ATC Roo »

Here is an explanation of what the App should do.

https://dotdash.space/scx/
User avatar
Grumpy
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:30 am

Re: SIMCOM X Voice application

Post by Grumpy »

ATC Roo wrote:Here is an explanation of what the App should do.

https://dotdash.space/scx/
Quite unashamedly copied and posted on flybywires.net web site forum.
(Plagiarism has never really bothered me!!!)

Roo, we are going to embrace this, for we can see many benefits to the flightsim community.

-.- . . .--. ..- .--. - .... . --. --- --- -.. .-- --- .-. -.-



I am old(ish) too.
ATC Roo
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:24 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: SIMCOM X Voice application

Post by ATC Roo »

Good stuff.

I'm assuming everybody's client showed there was an update to v0.1.1.1 ?
Keep letting me know of the bugs so I can fix them.

- .... .- -. -.- ... .-.-.- / ... .... --- ..- .-.. -.. / .. / -... . / ... .- -.-- .. -. --. / --... ...-- / .- ..-. - . .-. / -- -.-- / .--. --- ... - ... .-.-.-
User avatar
Grumpy
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:30 am

Re: SIMCOM X Voice application

Post by Grumpy »

We are now 3, Grumpy, Raymond and Stevie.

We did not get an advisory of the update from SCM X on initial start. We are using version

V0.1.0.2

Where do we get THAT version?

Still working with .0.2

After lots of buggerising about, and not actually getting anywhere, Experimentation lead us to...
shutting down JFS and FSX.
SCM X is the main form of comms.
It works, and fairly rapidly.
in the absence of FSX we tried different freqs, from 100.00 to 400.00 SUCCESFULLY
We are now running up FSX.

(what is the key mapping to use fsuipc? can you let the user allocate a joystick button to activate and control sent when button released?
We have now got simcom running, fsx and JFS running.

SCX lost connection.
See picture below.
Image

We cannot now get connection.
Is this a fault of this version?

We are trying every configuration and then...

Image

Closed every application open, restarted FSX, JFS and Teamspeak and SCX in that order.
Still nothing. Time to reboot puter.....

Saving this post.......
Restarted puter.
Only thing running is SCM X and TS.
SCM printing to its status screen ONE letter at a time, about 7 seconds between letters....

Time to cold start puter.
About that latest version... ???
See yuh.......
ATC Roo
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:24 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: SIMCOM X Voice application

Post by ATC Roo »

Try the latest version Grumpy.

Latest Simcom X version

The download link always hosts the latest version which is v1.1.1.1 at the time of writing this.

I wrote an update checker in version 0.0.1.5.
Which means if you install the latest version now, or any future versions the app will let you know when there is an update and download it for you.
This saves everybody checking if they have the latest version, as Simcom X does it for you.

I have fixed a lot of what you mention in your previous post so let me know how everything works once you are all running v1.1.1.1
(what is the key mapping to use fsuipc? can you let the user allocate a joystick button to activate and control sent when button released?
We have now got simcom running, fsx and JFS running.
The only thing FSUIPC is doing in Simcom X is reading from your sim.
Specifically your Com radio info and your latitude and longitude.
Nothing else is needed for Simcom X, so I'm not setting or getting anything else.

FSUIPC is there so FS9 and Xplane users can use Simcom X.
FSX/P3D can connect with Simconnect but FS9 and XPlane users can't, which is why I added FSUIPC (although I'm still waiting for somebody to confirm if they have used it successfully with XPlane/FS9).

That said there is nothing to stop a P3D/FSX user using the FSUIPC option if thats what they prefer, but theres no difference in using FSUIPC than using the FSX/P3D option.

Hope that helps.
kc10b747fe
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:04 am

Re: SIMCOM X Voice application

Post by kc10b747fe »

Roo,

I've been doing some testing with the latest version 0.1.1.1. Prior to upgrading, I did receive the notification that an upgrade was available.

I also had the same issue as Grumpy, with the text box typing only one character about every 7 seconds. Once that happens, the problem remains even after uninstalling and reinstalling. Not sure how to clear it out except for doing a system restore.

Here are the results from my testing.

1. Join Group Server Mode (PTT - joystick button main computer, other computers PTT - key selected)

On initial startup, 3 computers, with app on, no freq set - When transmitting from RT computer (using PTT key) RX light stuck on other 2 computers. TX light on transmitting computer NOT illuminated. RX light did NOT timeout at all. Transmitting from the other computers, you could hear only on the computer without the stuck RX light. (the initial transmitting computer).

Power off on all 3 apps, RX light remained on. Restarted all 3 apps - TX and RX works. Changed freq to 123.450 and 118.750. No issues.

2. SCX Mode (UDP 9988 indicates open on main computer)

When changing config and saving from your server to SCX, (app NOT restarted), App shows Voice Online - Green, SCX - Green. (Your server still shows in server box). Unicom 122.800 shows in Online ATC on all 3 computers. Transmitting from RT computer, RX light stuck on Main and LT computers. Same indications as above. Power off on all 3 apps, RX light remained on. Restarted all 3 apps, server box now clear, power on - Voice Online - Green, SCX - Green, No call sign in freq box (save each individual call sign). Unicom shows on all 3 computers. Tested on 122.800 all computers show in freq box and and test ok. Switched all apps to 123.450, no communication possible, and freq box empty, save each individual call sign on their respective computers.

3. Changed back to your server, (Powered off, no restart of app) transmitted, from LT computer and the other computers got stuck RX light. On restart of app, all communications good.

4. Host Group Server Mode.

Still unable to connect via external IP address even though my port 9988 indicates open. I'll have to check my friends computer to see if it is indeed open and I'll report back.

Hope the info helps,

Tony J
ATC Roo
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:24 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: SIMCOM X Voice application

Post by ATC Roo »

kc10b747fe wrote:Roo,

I've been doing some testing with the latest version 0.1.1.1. Prior to upgrading, I did receive the notification that an upgrade was available.
Ah, That's good to know.
Thanks.
kc10b747fe wrote: I also had the same issue as Grumpy, with the text box typing only one character about every 7 seconds. Once that happens, the problem remains even after uninstalling and reinstalling. Not sure how to clear it out except for doing a system restore.
This sounds like a piece of code hasn't complete what I've told it to do or is stuck in a loop.
I'm looking for it at the moment.
kc10b747fe wrote: Here are the results from my testing.

1. Join Group Server Mode (PTT - joystick button main computer, other computers PTT - key selected)

On initial startup, 3 computers, with app on, no freq set - When transmitting from RT computer (using PTT key) RX light stuck on other 2 computers. TX light on transmitting computer NOT illuminated. RX light did NOT timeout at all. Transmitting from the other computers, you could hear only on the computer without the stuck RX light. (the initial transmitting computer).

Power off on all 3 apps, RX light remained on. Restarted all 3 apps - TX and RX works. Changed freq to 123.450 and 118.750. No issues.
Might have just fixed the stuck RX.
It's nothing to do with the type of PTT being used, so don't worry about that.
I'm testing the fix at the moment.
kc10b747fe wrote: 2. SCX Mode (UDP 9988 indicates open on main computer)

When changing config and saving from your server to SCX, (app NOT restarted), App shows Voice Online - Green, SCX - Green. (Your server still shows in server box). Unicom 122.800 shows in Online ATC on all 3 computers. Transmitting from RT computer, RX light stuck on Main and LT computers. Same indications as above. Power off on all 3 apps, RX light remained on. Restarted all 3 apps, server box now clear, power on - Voice Online - Green, SCX - Green, No call sign in freq box (save each individual call sign). Unicom shows on all 3 computers. Tested on 122.800 all computers show in freq box and and test ok. Switched all apps to 123.450, no communication possible, and freq box empty, save each individual call sign on their respective computers.
Tricky one to explain this... but I'll do my best.
With SCX mode enabled...
If you are the channel host, you are added to the SCX list.
If you change freq or close the client, you are removed from the list.
To be removed from the list SIMCOM X looks for your IP and removes everything associated with that IP.

So if you have 3 clients running..
Client 1 hosts 123.450
Client 2 then connects, looks at the list, finds your IP already in the list and replaces that with Its frequency (let's say 111.222).
Client 1 is still hosting, but is no longer on the list.
Client 2 then tunes to 123.450, doesn't find it so hosts it.

Client 3 jumps in and does the same thing, resulting in 3 clients all tuned to 123.450 but none of them using the same server.

Confused yet????

Basically if you are testing with 3 clients, use group mode and connect with internal IPs.
kc10b747fe wrote: 3. Changed back to your server, (Powered off, no restart of app) transmitted, from LT computer and the other computers got stuck RX light. On restart of app, all communications good.
As above I'm hoping I've just fixed this and am testing.
kc10b747fe wrote: 4. Host Group Server Mode.

Still unable to connect via external IP address even though my port 9988 indicates open. I'll have to check my friends computer to see if it is indeed open and I'll report back.

Hope the info helps,

Tony J
Could be a NAT loopback issue were you can't connect to a service running on your LAN with your External IP.

Connecting with your Internal IP will work.
Asking somebody from outside of your LAN should also work, if the port is open and the program allowed in your firewalls.

I'm still working on a way to show users their port is accessable.

Thanks for the feedback, it helps a lot and hope I've explained what is happening.
kc10b747fe
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:04 am

Re: SIMCOM X Voice application

Post by kc10b747fe »

Roo,

Thanks for the reply and explanation. I'll check the NAT loopback in my router, and see if that does the trick or try the internal ip address. All this network stuff makes my head spin!!! :lol: :lol:

Question in regards to the firewall, in the window firewall there is an entry for SIMCOM_X Server selected only for private. Does the public side need to be checked also? or do I need to create an inbound and outbound rule for port 9988?

Thanks again for your help. Its amazing the minds that are out here developing things for a product that's been given up by its original developer and cost only $29.00. :lol: :lol:

Tony J
ATC Roo
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:24 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: SIMCOM X Voice application

Post by ATC Roo »

kc10b747fe wrote: Question in regards to the firewall, in the window firewall there is an entry for SIMCOM_X Server selected only for private. Does the public side need to be checked also? or do I need to create an inbound and outbound rule for port 9988?
I would (and have/do) personally open both Private and Public.
I've had issues with the windows firewall in the past, so that's what I've always done since.

You obviously know where to access the windows firewall settings, so the easiest thing to do IMO is to remove Simcom_x server from it.
Then when you run SIMcom X the next time, it will ask if you want to add a firewall exception for the app.
You can then tick both of the boxes.
User avatar
Grumpy
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:30 am

Re: SIMCOM X Voice application

Post by Grumpy »

ATC Roo wrote:
kc10b747fe wrote: Question in regards to the firewall, in the window firewall there is an entry for SIMCOM_X Server selected only for private. Does the public side need to be checked also? or do I need to create an inbound and outbound rule for port 9988?
I would (and have/do) personally open both Private and Public.
I've had issues with the windows firewall in the past, so that's what I've always done since.

You obviously know where to access the windows firewall settings, so the easiest thing to do IMO is to remove Simcom_x server from it.
Then when you run SIMcom X the next time, it will ask if you want to add a firewall exception for the app.
You can then tick both of the boxes.
I tried that, it completely ignored me, Its like being married....

So Into the Firewall, advanced settings, Inbound AND outbound rules.
deleted ALL simcom entries, Created two new ones, one in each section, with settings as above, public, private pointed the rule to the install directory and rebooted the computer.
This morning, started FSX, as one does, kicked Simcom into life, saw that there IS indeed, an update. Updated, and rebooted.
All I need now is someone to test it with.

Is happy founders day in the US , or something like that. So they are all practicing being turkeys.
No worries, Roo, once we Kiwis finish taking over the world, things will settle down heaps.
ATC Roo
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:24 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: SIMCOM X Voice application

Post by ATC Roo »

ATC Roo
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:24 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: SIMCOM X Voice application

Post by ATC Roo »

I should have resolved the stuck RX in this latest version (v0.1.1.5).

The client window now shows the Correct distance from others.

The main window text being slow, should also be corrected.

I also corrected a few issues I noticed.

Let me know as always.
Else Im not planning to change anything.
ATC Roo
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:24 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: SIMCOM X Voice application

Post by ATC Roo »

I'm not going to touch the code for a bit, Honest....
Version 0.1.1.6 out now (and untill somebody tells me it's not working correctly).

Full details on the simcom X Voice App can be found at https://dotdash.space/scx/

This time I've played with the Status light.
5. Status Light (Still a work in Progress).
Red = Nobody can connect to you.
Orange = People may be able to connect to you.
Green = You are hosting the frequency.


What I've done is set the status light to Green if you are hosting the frequency in SCX mode.

As I've mentioned before...
The first person to tune to a frequency on the Simcom X network, is the frequency host and they are added to a list of frequency hosts.
If somebody comes along and tries to connect to a frequency and can't (port 9988 not open or firewall has blocked inbound traffic to scx), the frequency host for that frequency is removed from the list and the person trying to connect becomes the host.

The problem this caused was if a host was replaced, they would not know and would end up sitting around waiting for people to join them.
When in fact, these people would be joining the person that replaced the original host.
Lost yet?
I hope not.

What I have done in this version is added a status to show if you are still hosting the frequency.
If you are then your status Light will show green.
If you are replaced on the hosting list your Status Light will change to Orange, showing that you are not hosting.
Simcom X will then also automatically recheck for a frequency host, will find the person that replaced you and connect you to them.

The next problem I face...
If the frequency host that replaced you is not accessible, you will both go around in a loop replacing each other until somebody else joins that can host properly.

I'll have a think about that one....
But for now
If you can't maintain a green light whilst hosting, you have port 9988 closed in your router or your firewall is blocking the simcom x server.
If your green light stays lit, you are still hosting and all is good.
If your green light stays lit and people join your frequency, everything is setup correctly and again all is good.
kc10b747fe
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:04 am

Re: SIMCOM X Voice application

Post by kc10b747fe »

Roo,

I had a chance to test out ver 0.1.1.9. with another person. Here are the results.

1. Group Host - As host, my test partner was able to connect to my external ip address and when he was host, I was able to connect to his. :D Communication was normal. We did get a stuck RX light, but I believe it may have been self induced by talking over each other. Only other problem we had was the FSX selection and Auto COM Switch do not remain saved. For example (FSX not running) I opened the app, go to config and select Host Group Server, FSX and Auto Com, save, then power on, both check marks disappear on the config page and have to be reselected. Once powered off again, both check marks deselect again. (FSX running) same indications except, initially the Auto Com switch would stay selected, but be greyed out and FSX was deselected. If you power off, close and restart the app, both selections deselect. This occurs the same way in SCX mode also.

2. SCX Mode - We first confirmed via Port Forward Utilities that both computers indicated that UDP port 9988 was open on both computers. We then deleted simcom_x server in the windows firewall and started the app to make sure it was picked up by the firewall. We then selected both public and private to make sure we both had the same entries.

We then went to the config page selected FSX, Auto Com, SimCom X and On Freq Change, saved and powered on. As indicated above FSX and Auto Com had deselected. All other selections remained checked. When trying to connect, when one computer tried selecting Auto Com, power dropped on the app (indicated by red OFF), and wait 60 secs showed in the text box. After 60 sec nothing occurred and the app remained in the off state. My status light showed orange and PWR OFF, The other computer showed PWR green, Status light green and "selecting, could not get data" in the text box.

When trying without the Auto Com Switch selected, we could both power on, however when we tried joining on 123.450 one of us would get knocked off,with the above indications.

We tried different combinations of frequencies but could never get to the point where both of us were on together because we would get knocked off by each other.

I assume these indications are because even though port 9988 indicates open, something may be blocking the connection?

We were able to communicate on 122.8.


Hope the info helps.

Tony J
Post Reply