Strange problem

Any questions regarding JoinFS.
vgbaron

Strange problem

Post by vgbaron »

Ran into something that seems strange. I have an idea on the problem but want your opinion

Set up a closed session using a server as "host" on port 2400. Have 3 users, P3D4, FSX +Accel, FSX Sp1.

All connect just fine. Under users and aircraft all are shown. Now here's the issue

P3D4 can see all player aircraft in Sim
FSX + Accel can see all player aircraft in sim
FSX Sp1 can see NO player aircraft in sim.

The joinfs "host" and FSX ACCEL is running xpack simconnect, my P3D4 system actually has four different simconnect versions. I'm thinking the problem MIGHT be the FSX sp1 system simconnect might be the issue. Won't have time to test until Thursday.

Do you have any insights? Only errors showing in monitor were simconnect 3 and 24.

Thanx,

Vic
Peter
Site Admin

Re: Strange problem

Post by Peter »

Hi Vic,

I have several versions of Simconnect on my machine, which isn't a problem as long as you have the correct version installed for JoinFS, which you must have otherwise you'd get an error message on startup.

Is one of the users (yourself) behind the same router as the server? If so, then that is likely to be the problem. I still need to do a little bit of work to allow mixing of internal and external connections to the same session. A temporary solution for now is to have the external users connect to the server as normal, but the client behind the same router as the server should join the IP address of one of the external users currently in the session. That should get around the issue.

Simconnect error 3 is quite common, and althoug I haven't looked into that yet, I don't think it has any known side effect. However, error 24 is likely as issue. Could you post the error along with some of the previous lines in the output, please?

Peter
vgbaron

Post by vgbaron »

Hi Peter -

ok when we run it again I'll get a log for you.

*I* am connected to the same router as the server so I use the 192.168.xx.xx address of the server to connect to the session as MY IP address is the same as the server. The externals connect to the external IP. I'm puzzled though, I (P3D4) can see everyone and external FSX+Accel can see everyone but external FSX SP1 cannot. So you think that my connection is blocking him from being seen? I would think that if it connects it would be seen.
I'm pretty sure we tried it with me disconnected and he still couldn't see the remaining user but he was visible to that user.

LOL, a lot I don't know about simconnect.

I'll try connecting to one of the external IP's and see if that changes anything.

Thanx,

Vic
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

I know that FSX SP1 uses an earlier version of Simconnect.
I believe Peter has written JoinFS based on the same version FSX Acceleration uses?

Can the user that is connecting with SP1 Install the Acceleration Simconnect Version?

www.fspassengers.com/?action=simconnect
vgbaron

Post by vgbaron »

ok, a followup - everyone is running multiple versions of simconnect so we have that covered.

In further testing, we all connected to Grumpy's Flybywire Hub (thanx Grumpy) and went to the same airport. Eventually we were all able to see each other but it took a bit of dropping out nd coming in and repeat that until we got the timing right. At all times the Users window showed us all connected with lag times running 50, 150, 250ms respectively. I am in Southern California, another is in Northern California and our third tester is in Australia.

We're getting together to try again this weekend - so just to clarify - I should have everyone enable logging and then get the log files to you - correct?

This flight will be about an hour which could make for large files, I'm thinking the first 5 or ten minutes would suffice or do you need more?

Thanx,

Vic
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Hi Vic,

Locations shouldn't really be important, unless someone is connecting via 3G or a connection that isn't as reliable as a good cable broadband connection.

Yes, if you could PM the logs to me. The logs shouldn't get too large unless perhaps there are some error messages. If you get most of the problems in the initial setting up then yes, you could trim the logs down and that will help, and let me know what the main problem is and when it occurs.

Thanks,
Peter
vgbaron

Post by vgbaron »

Just like when you take your car to the mechanic - three of us joined Grumpy's hub and took a flight around Japan in severe weather provided by AS16 - no problems whatever. We all saw each other and when we got to our destination, Grumpy and a friend joined us there. We could see all five of us. Had no voice with Grumpy cuz we were on ventrilo. So for now, all is well. I did notice in my monitor I was getting a ton of simconnect error3 messages but had no issues.

Vic