JFS & MSFS2020

Suggestions, ideas and general discussion about JoinFS.
Peter
Site Admin

Re: JFS & MSFS2020

Post by Peter »

Travis wrote:So I have been testing this for a while, but still getting the same results with the release. I can eventually get it to scan and identify 208 models by using the additional folders text, but I am not sure why the simulator does not populate the aircraft in when I substitute someone. You can see Robert Dunn 2 is still red there in the aircraft list, and the usual restarting joinfs does not fix it. Hope we can get this compatible soon so we can fly with others. It seems like the new sim only allows you to see 6 others in close proximity and has other limitations. I am happy to help with whatever I can Peter. Thanks.
Here is a picture of some file structure, etc.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... JoinFS.jpg
Thanks, Travis. I'm actually really surprised to see the file layout is similar to FSX. Looking at the videos over the last few months I was under the impression that 2020 was a completely new simulator, but it appears to be a partial rewrite of FSX, which is actually good for plugins like JoinFS. As long as it still supports the older Simconnect interface then it shouldn't be too difficult to get this working.

Peter
fsatc

Post by fsatc »

Yep, defieniely still SimConnect. We can connect to JFS via MSFS, however, the game then freezes. I know the new version of SimConnect in which they use is inside of The FlightEvents program (side multiplayer program from Microsoft) https://events-storage.flighttracker.te ... Client.zip
edakridge

Post by edakridge »

As long as it still supports the older Simconnect interface then it shouldn't be too difficult to get this working.
Peter, it is really good to see you back active. MSFS Simconnect seems to be broken right now. https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/3r ... ing/135870 I am not 100% sure, but I believe that this is a new version and not an FSX/P3D simconnect. I have been doing a little experimenting with the new sim (For $1.00) and have found that right now any external that uses simconnect causes massive FPS drop and terrible stutters. This is not too say that it will always be this way though. From what I've read the developers are aware of the problem and working on it.
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

One of our members has found that he gets a pause every 3 seconds. This using JFS 1.4.34.
FS20 has it's aircraft in a weird place, so JFS has to be redirected.
If you put the needful directory in the "Additional Folders box, all is good.
We FSX users can see the FS20 users, but this is definitely one mirror!!

B
picnic

Post by picnic »

That's interesting news Grumpy, when I managed to get joinFS to see a FS2020 aircraft so that I could complete the model matching process I still couldn't see any other aircraft in game or on LittleNavMap. Could you be more specific about one of the additional folders you added please?
Travis

Post by Travis »

Grumpy, your flying buddy should not have issues with frame drops after the update comes out sometime next week as shown here:
https://www.flightsimulator.com/august- ... nt-update/
I also get the massive frame drops(and lack of GPU usage). Otherwise I would connect to those that are still using FSX/P3D, etc. so they can join in on our community group flights as well. However, I can not see them.

It is hard for me to understand, but when you loaded the airplanes in the new sim to joinFS, I understand you put the folder in the list at the bottom, but is it like mine? Are you able to see other planes in MSF2020 from other older sims? I can not seem to get model matching/injection working. If this is accurate, can you please detail the steps you did. I, and the community I fly in would greatly appreciate your efforts. As well as Peter's efforts. Thanks.
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

Travis, at the time of writing, our group is experimenting with FS20 and FSX and JFS.
To effect model scanning, do the following, changing the drives directories to suit YOUR setup.
These go in the box labeled "Additional Folders" in the model scanning part of JFS

J:\Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020\Official
J:\Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020\Official\OneStore

Two people are FSX and two are FS20.
The FSX users can "see" the FS20 aircraft, although model matching is still an issue, but not serious. The FS20 people cannot see the FSX people, and our JFS entries are RED.
The FS20 people are in "all players Flight" mode

I suspect that once Peter gets his sticky little fingers on the latest version of Simconnect and the FS20 SDK, all these issues will disappear.
Peter, we are having elevation issues as well, One FSX is default scenery, I have the latest Africa LLC from Orbix, the FS20 people are in their native scenery.

Elevation correction brings the FS20 people to my height. nothing they do helps.
brendantdj

Post by brendantdj »

JFS doesn't even pick up my sim, have FSUIPC7 running and it's working fine with other software. SimConnect is working too as I have been flying on Vatsim today on fs2020
edakridge

Post by edakridge »

I tried yesterday to run model matching with MSFS and was unsuccessful. Perhaps due to the fact that I moved MSFS from the default location to E: drive?
Travis

Post by Travis »

Current status(unless someone says otherwise):
JoinFS does NOT fully work in FS2020.
You can only run JoinFS to allow others to see you in older sims(with some stutters still), you will not see them.

What next?
We wait to see what Peter says.
Hopefully he starts working on it soon and can give us a timeline. It seems the desire to have a server outside of Microsoft's is wanted by a hand full of people for various reasons. Either cross platform or having a little bit more of a private server/setting for some events.
Dave Torkington

Post by Dave Torkington »

Thanks to this forum post my buddy and I were able to replicate the above situations and results with JoinFS. Frankly it's all credit to Peter and this marvellous program that JoinFS appears to be so very close to working properly in MSFS2020.

Fortunately JoinFS scanned and found 208 models thanks to the 'additional folder search' option.

I'd like to add that we found the 'shared cockpit' feature working perfectly. Both of us are using MSFS2020 and were flying default aircraft. All the relevant aircraft animations and control surfaces appeared to be operating just fine.

Dave.
ervski

Post by ervski »

Our Multiplayer Group tried MSFS2020 last week that did not end well; screen freeze, AP went bananas. We sure could use JFS capability!

Our group continues to use JFS/P3D/FSX with outstanding results, so for time being it appears we will be sticking with this capability until programs are fixed.

We do appreciate JFS, if there is anything we can do of value, please let us know. Thanks much!
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

I have just updated the TEST version of JoinFS with some fixes for FS2020 support.

For details on installing the TEST version see this thread, viewtopic.php?f=2&t=491

To get this working I just had to do a workaround for enumerating the aircraft titles that FS2020 needs to inject new aircraft. You should now be able to scan for the aircraft models by choosing the simulator folder as the folder where you have your packages installed. The old workaround of using the additional folders is no longer needed.

There are just a couple of minor annoyances. First, the substitute window doesn't combine the variations into each aircraft, so all variations are listed in the type option, and the variation option is just a duplicate of the type selected. Second, in FS2020 there are some aircraft that are locked down by DRM and so JoinFS is unable to enumerate these during a scan. However, I have done a workaround so that at any time JoinFS sees an aircraft in the simulator that it doesn't know about it will add the aircraft to the list. The effect of this is that when another network player connects with an aircraft that you have never loaded yourself, it will use the default substitution. All you need to do is load up yourself in that aircraft temporarily then you should find that it now appears in the JoinFS model list. Then just re-substitute. You should only need to do this once for each aircraft type that is DRM protected.

Hopefully this should all work fairly well. Keep an eye out for any other odd behaviour. I'm assuming that you no longer need to limit to 35 fps with FS2020. Please let me know your findings here.

Peter
picnic

Post by picnic »

Will give this a go this evening, thank you VERY much for your efforts Peter :)
BG2518-Bob

Post by BG2518-Bob »

Peter wrote:I have just updated the TEST version of JoinFS with some fixes for FS2020 support.

For details on installing the TEST version see this thread, viewtopic.php?f=2&t=491

To get this working I just had to do a workaround for enumerating the aircraft titles that FS2020 needs to inject new aircraft. You should now be able to scan for the aircraft models by choosing the simulator folder as the folder where you have your packages installed. The old workaround of using the additional folders is no longer needed.

There are just a couple of minor annoyances. First, the substitute window doesn't combine the variations into each aircraft, so all variations are listed in the type option, and the variation option is just a duplicate of the type selected. Second, in FS2020 there are some aircraft that are locked down by DRM and so JoinFS is unable to enumerate these during a scan. However, I have done a workaround so that at any time JoinFS sees an aircraft in the simulator that it doesn't know about it will add the aircraft to the list. The effect of this is that when another network player connects with an aircraft that you have never loaded yourself, it will use the default substitution. All you need to do is load up yourself in that aircraft temporarily then you should find that it now appears in the JoinFS model list. Then just re-substitute. You should only need to do this once for each aircraft type that is DRM protected.

Hopefully this should all work fairly well. Keep an eye out for any other odd behaviour. I'm assuming that you no longer need to limit to 35 fps with FS2020. Please let me know your findings here.

Peter
Hi Peter (long time since we spoke last, hope you are well !),

Superb progression with MSFS 2020 support mate!

A small bunch from our group tried this version last evening.

I have a version of JoinFS running on a separate pc dedicated to acting as a server for the rest of us. Then I connect (same location on another pc with the same external IP address). After that, external users (our flying group members) connected. Then we all started our sims (MSFS2020 x 4 and ONE P3Dv3 member). Each had successful NETWORK and SIMULATOR green connections. Each had successful scans for models. We ALL could see each other in the sim in the correct aircraft and we had a stable connected flight, no issues.

There was NO NEED to create or use GROUPS within MSFS 2020 - EXCELLENT !!!!!

The P3D user could see labels of the other aircraft.

The MSFS 2020 users see no labels (understandable). However, a way of doing this would be useful.

We did not look at the MSFS 2020 map to see if we could see other users (I suspect that would not show up). Will do next time !!

We all use Plan-G and the latest Alpha Version 4.0.0.232. That was not showing any other users (but to be fair this version was not doing that anyway even in MSFS 2020 group flights as yet, as it also is in early stages of adaptive development too). Will there be anything from your side that would need to be done to allow Plan-G to "see" the local and remote users in the sim? I suspect not and that this is still a Plan-G issue?

To be fair..... this early version has functionality that does allow our group to all fly together (we only have P3D and MSFS 2020 users).

So, WELL DONE sir. Many thanks from us at MDA Flights :)
picnic

Post by picnic »

@BG2518-Bob, not sure what version of PlanG I'm using, will check and report back, but it was working fine for me last night. Well a little too well as I had the ground vehicles at the airfield all showing up in addition to my multiplayer friends.
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Hi Bob, very well thanks. It certainly has been quite a while. :)

That's a bit annoying that 2020 doesn't show labels. Do you know if they show when using vPilot? I assume you see labels with 2020's own multiplayer?

The PlanG issue is likely to be related to PlanG. I'll have to check in my old version 3.2.0. As picnic says his old version is working.

Nice to hear that it is all working well. Hopefully I'll be able to get the release version updated if nothing else crops up.

Peter
Dave Torkington

Post by Dave Torkington »

Fantastic news Peter - a big thank you!

My buddies and I will test the Beta version tomorrow evening and put feedback in the Bugs forum.

Best regards, Dave.
stevieb

Post by stevieb »

I'm getting this error message with Scan For Models. Please can anyone suggest what I'm doing wrong?
Screenshot_190.jpg
Screenshot_190.jpg (38.37 KiB) Viewed 9911 times
picnic

Post by picnic »

Might be the same as this?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1046