Which Version for standalone Server ?

Suggestions, ideas and general discussion about JoinFS.
fl95

Which Version for standalone Server ?

Post by fl95 »

Hi,
with V3.1.7 there are different Versions for each Simulator.
Which Version should we use as standalone JoinFS Server ? No simulator. Only a Host directly connected to the internet.

BTW: It would be wonderful, if we had a standalone Server-Version for linux... :-)

Achim
Peter
Site Admin

Re: Which Version for standalone Server ?

Post by Peter »

A very good question. You can use any of those versions for a server and just configure it in the same way as usual.

While separating them out I realized that it would make sense to do a cut down JoinFS-SERVER version, so that will be coming soon.

And yes, I'm looking at doing a linux specific build and maybe even an ARM version compatible with the Raspberry PI. That would be very useful.

Peter
dvincent

Post by dvincent »

Hi Peter,
a Linux version would indeed be great. That way I can leave out the JoinFS virtual Windows server which is running on Linux.
Thanks anyway for JoinFS, our members are enjoying it very much, especially during the corona troubles.

Regards,
Dirk
Dieter

Post by Dieter »

Peter, thank you for your ongoing development of the JoinFS software!
A standalone Linux version would help many users who are running JoinFS via a server, and of course the many players who join a session.

Regards
Dieter
fsgg

Post by fsgg »

In our club, we fly online with members that use MSFS and others P3D . Untill version 3.16 that was OK, but now with separate versions 3.17 , how do P3D and MSFS pilots connect with each other ? And wich joinfs must be the server ? For now we keep 3.16 untill you give us the answers. , greeting Joop
Last edited by fsgg on Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

fsgg wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:36 am In our club, we fly online with members that use MSFS and others P3D . Untill version 3.16 that was OK, but now with separate versions 3.17 , how do P3D and MSFS pilots connect with each other ?, Joop
Exactly the same as before. Those using MSFS install the MSFS version. Those in P3D install the FSX version. Connect to each other in exactly the same way that you always did. Perhaps the release notes should have been worded better.

Peter
fsgg

Post by fsgg »

Thanks Peter , But wich version must be the server , FSX or MSFS ? , Joop , fsgg.nl
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

fsgg wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:42 am Thanks Peter , But wich version must be the server ? , Joop
For now, you can use any of them as a server, configured in the usual way, i.e. "-nosim" etc. At some later date I will be adding a new JoinFS-SERVER, which will be tailored for that purpose. And maybe even a full Linux version, but one step at a time. :)

Peter
fsgg

Post by fsgg »

Thanks Peter,
Joop ; fsgg.nl
fl95

Post by fl95 »

Something new from the Linux-server Front ? We will loose our Windows server in 4 weeks.. ;-(
Achim
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

fl95 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:10 pm Something new from the Linux-server Front ? We will loose our Windows server in 4 weeks.. ;-(
Achim
That's not good. I can bring it forward and certainly have an initial go at it. With a bit of luck it will build quite easily now that JoinFS has moved to the latest .NET Framework version. I don't think there are any major dependencies on anything else since the simulator stuff will be inactive in the server version of JoinFS.

I will keep you informed.

Peter
Dieter

Post by Dieter »

Thanks Peter for your hope awakening messge.

Regards
Dieter
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

For all those awaiting a Linux server....

You can run JoinFS under wine.
No need for a virtual machine.
Just install wine and the JoinFS installer with wine.

You will need a desktop environment and I've also found you need the simconnect X pack (downloadable from various places).

It's a good alternative while Peter finds the time to build a specific Linux server.
fl95

Post by fl95 »

ATC Roo wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:08 am For all those awaiting a Linux server....
You can run JoinFS under wine.
Our Linux Server is a real "Server" without a desktop enviroment.
I tried "wine" on my home ubuntu and the installation nearly trashed my computer. :roll:
Achim
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

fl95 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:33 pm Our Linux Server is a real "Server" without a desktop enviroment.
I tried "wine" on my home ubuntu and the installation nearly trashed my computer. :roll:
Achim
I have just migrated JoinFS-SERVER to .NET 6.0 and it's looking good so hopefully there will be a native linux JoinFS coming very soon. You can use the -nogui option to run it in the background from the command line.

Peter
fl95

Post by fl95 »

Peter wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:08 pm I have just migrated JoinFS-SERVER to .NET 6.0 and it's looking good so hopefully there will be a native linux JoinFS coming very soon.
Peter
Hip Hip Hurray ;)
Achim