Query 1: Missing Bookmark

Any questions regarding JoinFS.
Hazza

Query 1: Missing Bookmark

Post by Hazza »

Hi,
I am new to JoinFS but we are looking to use it for our small VA because of its cross platform compatibility. I have set up (on a spare PC that I use to host our FSInn/FSCopilot Server) a JoinFS session which is available 24/7. It works very well and even though we only started using it this past weekend we are very happy with most aspects of JoinFS. However, I do have a couple of queries and will post them separately so that any assistance can be targeted to a particular issue.

The first query is about Bookmarks. I have tried to create one to connect to the "server". However when I close JoinFS and restart it the Bookmark list is empty. Have I missed something? Maybe a related thing I have noticed is that when starting JoinFS, in the Join box is a pre-populated series of numbers (2 groups of 4 digits) and if I click Join it connects to my "server". I'm guessing this is a session ID?

I am using JoinFS v1.3.6 and P3DV4 on Win10. I do have a slightly unusual network setup (see attached jpg) but as I mentioned earlier most everything is working well. During testing two other members of our VA were connecting and experienced the same issue.
Attachments
Home Network.jpg
Home Network.jpg (59.79 KiB) Viewed 6805 times
Peter
Site Admin

Re: Query 1: Missing Bookmark

Post by Peter »

Hi,

Thanks for trying out JoinFS. I'm glad that you have found it useful.

The two groups of five digits (I assume that you meant five digits, not four?) represent an address. You should see an address in the 'Me' box which represents the address of that JoinFS client. Please see this part of the manual which explains addresses, http://pmem.uk/joinfs/manual.html#addresses

When you run JoinFS the Join box will be filled with your previous connection address. Which is why you saw your server address in there.

I just checked and you're right. It's a bug that affects new installations. I've now fixed it for the next version, but as a temporary fix, you can create an empty file called c:\users\<user>\App Data\Local\JoinFS\bookmarks.txt. Then run JoinFS and you should be able to add and save a bookmark.

Thanks for posting the bug.

Peter
Hazza

Post by Hazza »

Thanks for the quick reply Peter!

Just went to that location and there is a file there called bookmark2.txt and that had the necessary info in it. I will change the name and report back via this thread.

Cheers

Harry
Hazza

Post by Hazza »

OK, just tested and the rename worked, not sure how the name had the 2 added to it?

And yes, you are correct! It was 5 digits - need to put my reading glasses on!! :oops:

Cheers

Harry
ttin1man

Post by ttin1man »

having the similar prob. had to reinstall and now when i add a bookmark it tells me the name is already there but i cant see it and it adds a new bookmark. bookmark(1)text bookmark(2) How can i start from scratch with my bookmarks?
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

ttin1man wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:10 pm having the similar prob. had to reinstall and now when i add a bookmark it tells me the name is already there but i cant see it and it adds a new bookmark. bookmark(1)text bookmark(2) How can i start from scratch with my bookmarks?
Which version of JoinFS are you using?

Is the address book completely empty?

You can clear entries by selecting them, right-click and choose Remove.

Peter
ttin1man

Post by ttin1man »

Just updated to 1.7.3 hoping the prob would fix itself. Still there. I have one person in my address bood and when I try to enter the additional names i get a message already there which of course I cannot see. I have completely deleted the joinfs and reinstalled with revo and cant cure the problem.
before I updated I deleted the bookmark file to try and start from scratch but same thing. Im assuming it is in the registry but not sure?? Noticed that it makes no differance who I add first. the second name will not add and gives me the"already there" message.
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

The bookmarks are stored in a file in your User folder. <User>/AppData/Local/JoinFS/bookmarks2.txt

I think I may know what the problem is. Are you trying to add them as IP addresses rather than JoinFS addresses? My recent to changes seem to have broken support for IP addresses in the address book, so I'll get that fixed in version 1.7.5.

Thanks for letting me know.
Peter
ttin1man

Post by ttin1man »

Thanks Peter. Look foreward to it.