Authentication in JoinFS

Any questions regarding JoinFS.
aenbacka

Authentication in JoinFS

Post by aenbacka »

Hello,

Are there any ways to use authentication / login with JoinFS? For instance, to only allow authorised members to use a certain hub?
Peter
Site Admin

Re: Authentication in JoinFS

Post by Peter »

Password entry will be coming in a future version. However, it won't be available for hub clients because the idea is that hubs are public, so it wouldn't make sense to close it off. Is there are particular reason why you want to restrict a hub? If you want a private dedicated server there's no reason to enable the hub mode for it. Simply have your users add a bookmark for your private server.

It's not the first time that this has come up. Is it that you wish to advertise your group in some way on the hub list, but still restrict entry?

Hope that makes sense. Please let me know if you think to the contrary.

Peter
aenbacka

Post by aenbacka »

Thanks for the answer:) I think the idea would be able to advertise easily the address to potential members, but have the security that the hub / server will not be used inappropriately. However, I think that generally the current solution works fine for most use cases.

By the way, great work:)
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Actually, having said all that, it sounds like a reasonable idea now. Perhaps the About label could include a sign-up or contact link for joining. Looking a bit further down the road, once the chat system is in place, that could be extended to include things like message boxes or something like that so a mechanism would be available for joining a private group/hub.

I'll definitely give it some more thought.

Peter
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

Are you working on a chat system Peter?
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

ATC Roo wrote:Are you working on a chat system Peter?
Haven't started any coding yet, but there's definitely some design work going on in the old grey matter. ;)

Why, any suggestions?

I'm basically thinking about a channel based chat window:
  • Global wide, Session wide, Com1 or Com2 radio channels.
  • Enable/disable each channel from being shown.
  • Special commands for joining, so for example if you're chatting to someone you can do 'Join Joe' and connect immediately to their session.
  • Possibly a message box system for leaving messages for people.
  • Contacting hub owners.
  • Custom aliases for ATC instructions. 'rpd G-ABCD' would send 'G-ABCD, report downwind', and 'w' sends 'wilco'. etc.
It's got a lot of potential for new features I think.

Peter
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

I think you've covered it to be honest. :)
RCFlyer

Post by RCFlyer »

Will the system allow one to change channel by changing the radio frequency within the sim? This capability would be similar to a addon program written for TS.

Danny
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

RCFlyer wrote:Will the system allow one to change channel by changing the radio frequency within the sim? This capability would be similar to a addon program written for TS.
That's exactly it. JoinFS will pick up your currently tuned Com frequency and the chat window will start showing that text. It'll probably have custom colours for each channel so you can more easily keep track of what's happening.

Peter
RCFlyer

Post by RCFlyer »

Outstanding! Ready to test if you need someone to do so. I fly in VR with Flyinside, so would be able to test presence of window import into VR cockpit as well.

Danny
sgraypgh

Post by sgraypgh »

I hope the dust has settled a bit with v.9 now out. I was wondering where the login or password function might be at this point? Thanks again for all you have done thus far Peter!!!
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Still quite a few things on the list I'm afraid, so can't make any promises.

Peter
sgraypgh

Post by sgraypgh »

As long as it still on the list, we will get there eventually.