Feature Request List

Any questions regarding JoinFS.
Peter
Site Admin

Re: New Feature List

Post by Peter »

Hi,

as requested earlier in this thread, I've now added a set of command line options to aid in the running or deployment on a server.

Version 1.1.2, http://pmem.uk/joinfs/development.html

Best regards,
Peter
Pilote334

Post by Pilote334 »

Hi Peter,

Great things about command line but JoinFs will ask to scan model when list is empty. It wil always empty on a server standalone. So you have to add "-noscan" on the list of commandline. Sorry for the work to do...

Regardless of that point, the 1.1.2 version is a really good job ! Greetings !

Yves
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Hi Yves,

good point. Not a problem and thanks for the heads up.

I could add a -quiet and start the window minimized, or how about making it go to the system tray?

Peter
Pilote334

Post by Pilote334 »

Hi Peter

For the tray options, no matter about it when JoinFs is running as windows service because it is invisible (background task).

Another point is about -join command : it make sense to have the ability to add a specific port with the IP address as value. Actually, it work one time on two, it's not reliable. Could you see that point ?

Thanks for your work. Do you know ? Your work make the buzz in the simmer community. Well, I think it's a good thing for you, and for us too.

It's always a pleasure to read you,

Yves
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Hi Yves,

I've added support for the system tray for version 1.1.3, so you can close to the system tray and reopen it. The "-tray" option will start it in the system tray. I believe you can get tools that can run any program as a Windows service, so I suppose something like "StartAsService JoinFS.exe -tray" will do the trick.

Yes, I just tried the -join option and it's doesn't seem to work properly. I'll look into it. Thanks.

Thanks for your last comment as well. :D

Peter
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

Peter I hope you don't mind but I've listed a couple of features below which may help people not a part of a flight sim group who just want to join in the fun.
  • 1. A html hyperlink in the Hubs menu Voice server section, as this will allow hub admin to input their voice server address (ts3://aserver.com or a discord link etc etc) and users then only need to click it to join.
    2. The Nearest airport of a node already in a session, (maybe in the nodes list?) as people then know where everybody else is flying in the world.
    3. In the Hubs list display ATC along with Airplanes, Helicopters, Boats etc as this will allow those looking for ATC to see which hubs have an ATCO online.
    If the nearest airport was also included as above they could see where that ATC was controlling too.
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

1. I was thinking about that recently. That should be quite easy to do.
2. That's pretty much already on the todo list.
3. Interesting. I could use the ATC Mode, however some people use that to show aircraft on the GPS so that wouldn't quite work. How about I check if the user has no aircraft and has ATC Mode enabled. Would that cover it? Do you ever do ATC while loaded up with an aircraft?

Thanks,
Peter
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

Peter wrote: 3. Interesting. I could use the ATC Mode, however some people use that to show aircraft on the GPS so that wouldn't quite work. How about I check if the user has no aircraft and has ATC Mode enabled. Would that cover it? Do you ever do ATC while loaded up with an aircraft?

Thanks,
Peter
Would it be Even easier if you implemented it the same as Aircraft, Helicopters and Boats?

Ie Aircaft Helicopters Boats ATC
! 2 ! 1 ! 0 ! 1 !

and in the Aircraft list (I think it is?) Where it lists Nicknames = Roo Aircraft = Cessna 172 etc it could list Air Traffic Controller instead of Cessna?

If Nearest airport was also in that list it would put that against the Air Traffic Controller player anyway.
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

ATC Roo wrote: Would it be Even easier if you implemented it the same as Aircraft, Helicopters and Boats?
What I meant was how does JoinFS know that you are acting as an ATC? I can't just use the ATC Mode because some people use that for GPS radar. I can check that you don't have an aircraft loaded up as well and use that to imply that you are doing ATC.

Peter
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

Ah I Misunderstood.
That's the problem with reading posts quickly whilst on a tea break. ;)

FSX would know you're ATC the same way it knows your a Cessna.
The title in the cfg file.
Ron Attwood

Post by Ron Attwood »

Hello Peter. A little thing came up yesterday evening (Oo er missus!) re: name tags.

Scenario: people have spawned at different ends of the runway, i.e. 0.5-7 miles away. Name tags cannot be seen until we are at 0.3 miles when they come on again. In the air they are visible 6,7,8 miles away.
Where it is a 'concern' is when the clans are gathering "Is everyone in?" " I can't see anyone" " Leave and rejoin then". You get the picture.
Is there a way this can be rationalised?
Really looking for stuff to complain about now! :D
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Hi Ron,

I'm fairly sure that the absence of the label when stationary is purely an FSX thing. I don't think there's anything I can do about it. I could be wrong and perhaps there's a way of making it show all the time, perhaps I'll investigate at some point. Doesn't this problem also occur in FSX multiplayer?

I've also heard the phrase "I can't see anyone" plenty of times, usually quickly followed by either "Oh, you're way over there", or "you're behind that building", or "I'm using default airport scenery" (actually this last one should no longer be a problem in 1.1.7 if my height adjustment code works).

The quickest way to check if aircraft are actually in the simulator or not is to right-click in FSX and look at the menu for the local traffic. For me, that's always been an accurate way to quickly determine if aircraft are actually present or not.

Hope that helps,
Peter
Ron Attwood

Post by Ron Attwood »

Sitting there waiting for posts? :D
If it is an 'FSX thing' it's one I've not seen in FSX MP before. I did wonder if there was a slider I'd missed, but no.
It's not important but if you stumble upon something it would be nice to fix.
Cheers

EDIT: Just noticed this "height adjustment code". Eek! Murky waters methinks. :shock:
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

Ron Attwood wrote:Sitting there waiting for posts? :D
If it is an 'FSX thing' it's one I've not seen in FSX MP before. I did wonder if there was a slider I'd missed, but no.
It's not important but if you stumble upon something it would be nice to fix.
Cheers

EDIT: Just noticed this "height adjustment code". Eek! Murky waters methinks. :shock:
I see it a lot during our group flights with JoinFS and other platforms.

I believe it is an FSX thing.

I think the default distance for a label to be shown when aircraft are airborne is 10nm and less than 0.5 nm when on the ground.

This is apparently to stop lots of labels showing and overlapping each other (making them unreadable) when there is lots of traffic on the ground.

The distances are apparently hardcoded into FSX and unable to be changed easily, like in a cfg file.

A work around might be the default GPS which shows traffic on it similar to TCAS.

I can send you one to show only ground traffic, only airborne traffic or both airborne and ground traffic if you'd like?
Ron Attwood

Post by Ron Attwood »

Hey Roo. Like I said, it's not a big deal. I do have a GPS 530 that has TCAS and 3D terrain. Do you know Bliksimpie? :D In the normal course of events enabling ATC in JoinFS results in aircraft being on the skew/tilted over to one side. Not good if you're flying close formation. ;)
Thanks for your input.
511Flyer

Post by 511Flyer »

This is something that our small group of VFR Flyers have noticed with JoinFS, but not seen using the usual FSX Multiplayer connection. We will be running further checks to confirm this.

It can be a nuisance when following an aircraft in to land, because as soon as that aircraft touches down, the flag disappears. It means that if the pilot hasn't declared "runway vacated", you have to go around or run the risk of a ground collision.

Den.
Ron Attwood

Post by Ron Attwood »

Not just us then. :)
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

This seems to be the New feture thread so Ill post my idea.

I've noticed the hub list growing as more groups learn of JoinFS.
I know pilots/ATC like to join their groups hub when they get time to fly/control, but I see a lot of hubs only have 1 or 2 users when that group are not enjoying an organised flight.

Would a way for those users to be able to join a general hub be a good idea?

It would be nice to fly on route and see a pilot from another group fly past or another groups ATC online.

Maybe a tickbox allowing a groups hub to join a general network?
That way all hubs and users could be connected when joining their groups hub.
If a group has an organised group only event the box could be unticked and then reticked after the event?
Or even left ticked to see other groups flying the other way?

I know I've made it sound easy with a tick box and I'm sure it's not, but it's an idea.
Last edited by ATC Roo on Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

ATC Roo wrote:Would a way for those users to be able to join a general hub be a good idea?
Since I started on the hub network, I've wondered about having a single live network either instead of or as well as having separate ones. After all, the hubs are designed to be public so that anyone can join in. People can still create their own private networks so I don't think there is a down side to somehow having a larger scale public network.

Originally it was a choice between having separate hub sessions, as it is now, or combining them all into one session so that whichever hub you join you will see everyone who has joined via a hub. You can of course still do your own thing as a group in whatever location, but you would be able to see others in the aircraft list. I quite like that idea because it effectively becomes a single world network, like VATSIM.

Another alternative is to have a tick box for the pilot to use on the main form, which automatically connects to a hub, either a general one like you suggested or it applies some logic such as which hubs are most populated or which has activity closest to where I am.

I may also be able to add a general session as you suggested, but rather than a 'general hub', it's actually a general session managed by the hub network, but still appears as a 'virtual hub' at the top of the hub list, called something like 'Global session'. That would also mean the existing hub list can stay much as it is.

Peter
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

I'm all for anyway people can fly together.

We all enjoy the same hobby, we've just picked different groups to be a part of.

I like the idea of a one world with different groups flying different sorties past each other.

As you can hide users I can't see a problem with undesirable lunatics wanting to cause problems.

But I know not everybody would like that, so maybe the virtual hub suggestion?