Using JoinFS in an airshow

Any questions regarding JoinFS.
Bluebird1

Using JoinFS in an airshow

Post by Bluebird1 »

I do not know how I can use JoinFS in an airshow where a person designated as the cameraman does the "pick-up" via the ORBX 1st Person BOB or similar to either stream the show or even simpler, display it on a large monitor connected to his computer.

Can someone help me with this please?
Deano1973

Re: Using JoinFS in an airshow

Post by Deano1973 »

There's only really way that you could do this "live";

1) Have the cameraman as Bob and yourself as the pilot in the same JoinFS session, with the cameraman using FSX's AI view to maintain a track on your position in the sky while filming. He then broadcasts the footage live at the same time.

If the cameraman has TrackIR or similar it would look more realistic that the perfect tracking of an FSX camera view. You, of course, would have to ensure perfect flying to avoid any live mishaps being broadcast to your viewers :)

Finally, you could edit the FSX .cfg file to remove all text notifications from the screen ( such as zoom level, Parking Brakes etc ) and have your cameraman film in full screen view to make things as realistic looking as possible.

Cheers,
Dan-TXHills

Post by Dan-TXHills »

An alternative is this modified camera.cfg file - link below. This allows you to be outside of any aircraft, pivot around using hat switch or TrackIR or whatever you like for changing your view - you can also zoom in and out using the +/- keys. (The original version has a viewpoint from inside your cockpit - basically worthless IMHO).

This replaces the original camera.cfg file in the AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/FSX folder and contains a backup of the original version so if you have made no changes to the original camera.cfg file you need not worry about making a backup. Just copy both into the folder and overwrite the original. .pdf file with installation and use instructions included in the zip folder

Aircraft Camera View Modification

Dan
Bluebird1

Post by Bluebird1 »

Thanks for the replies and this unfortunately confirms my suspicion that views such as spectator view and special tower views are not available?
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Unless I've misunderstood your original question, can't you connect to a JoinFS session, load up ORBX BOB and watch the other pilots in the session?

Peter
Bluebird1

Post by Bluebird1 »

Deano1973 wrote:There's only really way that you could do this "live";

1) Have the cameraman as Bob and yourself as the pilot in the same JoinFS session, with the cameraman using FSX's AI view to maintain a track on your position in the sky while filming. He then broadcasts the footage live at the same time.
OK - i understand this

If the cameraman has TrackIR or similar it would look more realistic that the perfect tracking of an FSX camera view. You, of course, would have to ensure perfect flying to avoid any live mishaps being broadcast to your viewers :)
Yes, mishaps would not be good, and by the way there are at least four of us in the airshow. Is it possible to switch from one plane to another?

Finally, you could edit the FSX .cfg file to remove all text notifications from the screen ( such as zoom level, Parking Brakes etc ) and have your cameraman film in full screen view to make things as realistic looking as possible.
OK

Cheers,
Bluebird1

Post by Bluebird1 »

Peter wrote:Unless I've misunderstood your original question, can't you connect to a JoinFS session, load up ORBX BOB and watch the other pilots in the session?

Peter
:D iI do not know, Peter...thats why I asked the question ;) guess what I need to do is to try this during our session tonight
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Yes, I think this should work out well for demonstrating a live airshow. If you're able to coordinate a schedule with the cameraman, they'll be able to switch to the correct aircraft at the right time. As mentioned you don't need to have an aircraft loaded in order to take part in a session, you can be loaded up in the BOB or even an FSX tower controller.

Just to throw some extra ideas in. The show schedule could include live pilots, mixed with previously recorded routines. For example, you could have just one real pilot, who does the first pass, then anyone in the session can play back a recording for the second part, meanwhile the pilot prepares for the third part, and so on.

Lots of possibilities here I think.

Peter
Bluebird1

Post by Bluebird1 »

Well, during last night's practice, I stepped away from my T-33 and took up 1st Person Bob as the "camera". I can now confirm that Bob works very well as a camera, but need to slow down and smoothe out the FSX panning from the hatswitch. The zoom works very nice and allows zooming in on a particular aircraft when needed. If that becomes an issue with distance then the ,cfg file replacement will allow picking any aircraft you want out of the formation. (Wouldnt it be great if there could be a forward/back Hotkey for that feature). I also like the idea that Bob can wander around and thereby get some unique shots. He is ideal for placing somewhere in a strategic location as a "spectator".
Because our routines are centered on a 3 - 5 NM radius from the airport, I suspect that a "spectators view" from bob will suffice our needs using the zoom as necessary.
Once again, I want to extend a thankypu to you, Peter on behalf of the FSX Bluebirds for JoinFS - a software that allows FSXSE to bfly with us FSX -Acceleration users