Phantom Aircraft at 250,000ft - 0Kts

Any questions regarding JoinFS.
Bluebird1

Phantom Aircraft at 250,000ft - 0Kts

Post by Bluebird1 »

We are a group of four T-33 aircraft. Three of us are FSX Boxed and one is FSX Steam - which is the very reason that we have begun using JoinFS.
When the Steam pilot joins the session, for some unknown reason to other aircraft (UOs) are with him at 250,000ft and are stationary at 0Kts.
We cannot figure out what is causing this.
I suspect that they are disrupting the system somewhat because my wing pilot is complaining about me "jittering". Also during loops, some aircraft seem to be tumbling and spinning.
I am sure that it is the Steam version causing the condition because if he leaves the session everything is as smooth as silk.

We are hoping someone can help us with fixing whatever is wrong.

Thanks in advance...FSX Bluebirds
Peter
Site Admin

Re: Phantom Aircraft at 250,000ft - 0Kts

Post by Peter »

It sounds very much like one of the pilots has Tacpack installed and enabled. Have a look at who the owner of the object is and ask them if they have Tacpack installed.

Re: tumbling aircraft. Which version are you seeing this on?

Peter
edakridge

Post by edakridge »

The 250,000 ft msl aircraft is indeed a Tacpack respawn point. Each player running Tacpack brings several of these into the session with them. This is where you go when you "Die".
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

The current version broadcasts Tacpack objects by default, but this will change in the next version. You'll have to enable it in the settings or in the objects windows.

Peter
Bluebird1

Post by Bluebird1 »

Waiting anxiously for our flight session this evening to see if TacPac is the offending add-on.

According to the 600+ page documentation wiki (aparently too large for a pdf) there is a way to disable TacPac. This may be of some use to other groups thar are or at some future point will be experiencing this phenomenum.

In the TacPac Manager - Options
You can set TacPac to:
1. Always load with FSX
2.Never load with FSX
3. Ask to load with FSX

I am hopefulbthat Option 3 will fix our problem. Will post the result
sgraypgh

Post by sgraypgh »

Option 3 works fine, been using it for years.
RCFlyer

Post by RCFlyer »

Peter:

I flew yesterday and joined a hub with another helicopter active on the hub. I noticed that I too had the phantom aircraft at 250K and 0 kts hanging around. I do not have TacPac installed on my system. I checked the JoinFS setting to ensure the TacPac selection was not checked. Not certain what would cause the phantom to show, but, I provide this information as just another data point for your trouble-shooting.

Danny
P3DV3.4
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Hi Danny,

They we're probably still transmitting their tacpack objects. Even if you turn off the Tacpack option in your JoinFS client, it doesn't stop someone else transmitting theirs objects.

Actually, I could change this so that if you have the option deselected it ignores other people's objects. That should solve it.

Peter