Multi PC Setup

Any questions regarding JoinFS.
webstalle

Multi PC Setup

Post by webstalle »

New to joinFS and this forum.
I run a xplane based sim made of 4 PCs: 1 running the XP master and 3 others driving 3 external visuals.
Does joinFS support such a multi pc setup, e.g. joinFS running on the master pc, but broadcasting any traffic to the other PCs to joinFS running as a "client"?
Or does joinFS support other traffic plugins like XMTP remote which displays any traffic coming from LiveTraffic or other data sources?

Friedhelm, Germany
Peter
Site Admin

Re: Multi PC Setup

Post by Peter »

Hi,

Sure. Just run JoinFS on each machine. Create a session on one of them, and on the other machines just join the session you created. On a local setup, you can just specify the local IP address of the first machine and they will all be joined into the same session.

You can share aircraft from other plugins, but it may or may not work depending on how the other plugin works. If you look at the aircraft window in JoinFS you might see the aircraft listed from XMTP. If so, then you can click the broadcast option and they should then appear for everyone in the session. You will need to select the main user in the JoinFS session window on the other machines and allow multiple objects for this to work.

Peter
webstalle

Post by webstalle »

I just installed joinFS on all 4 PCs and created a session.
Joining that session from the PCs running the external views forced a change in the cockpit view. That is not something I expected nor is it of any use to me. My assumption was/is that joinFS is showiung me any airplanes/traffic; e.g. updating what I see outside of my plane but not how the plane itself with it's view points etc is looking. I even changed the way the aircraft is displayed by xplane (adjusting the aircrafts objects using plane maker) in a way specific for each view (left, forward, right) to get an almost "natural" visual impression when sitting in my handcrafted U-shaped sim.
Is it possible to setup joinFS client not to change xplane's aircraft representation? That might be of some use if running a shared cockpit but that's not I'm aiming for.
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

I've no idea why your view changed in the flight sim. JoinFS doesn't do anything to manipulate your view. The only thing it can do to change your position is if you select another aircraft and choose Follow, but I assume you haven't used that. I can't think why your view would have changed?

Peter
webstalle

Post by webstalle »

I'll check again the various options joinFS provides. I'm new to that stuff. If I can't manage to get the problem solved, I'll start a recording via OBS and post it on YT. That way you're able to see what happens.
webstalle

Post by webstalle »

Ok, as I promised I made a short video illustrating the problem I described above.
The YT video can be found at https://youtu.be/wj00PJgNnos.
Maybe Peter can have a look on this.
I really want to use joinfFS in the future, but it must be made sure that the views on my sim are not affected.
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

webstalle wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:47 pm Ok, as I promised I made a short video illustrating the problem I described above.
The YT video can be found at https://youtu.be/wj00PJgNnos.
Maybe Peter can have a look on this.
I really want to use joinfFS in the future, but it must be made sure that the views on my sim are not affected.
Your view position has not changed but it looks as though you are sat on the tarmac at the exact same parking spot as another pilot in the session. Another aircraft is being drawn in X-Plane at your exact location and orientation. If you look at the aircraft window in JoinFS you will probably see another aircraft in the session at a distance of 0.0nm.

I would either ignore it and move your aircraft forward a bit, or consult with other people in the session to make sure that you are all starting on different parking slots.

Peter
webstalle

Post by webstalle »

Peter, thanks for investigating.
I was the only one on the tarmac at this time. However, in the sessions window joinFS showed multiple aircraft joining the session. Those aircraft are just copies of my skyhawk.
The problem might be that joinFS on the external views is assuming that it runs on a separate sim rather than being part of a sim made of 4 PCs.
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

You could remove those aircraft from the list and the simulator by ticking the 'ignore' option on the aircraft list. Or it might be better to do it by user in the session window. Select the other users and click ignore. This should remove any aircraft that are coming from the other instances of JoinFS.

Peter
webstalle

Post by webstalle »

High Peter,

Checking the 'Ignore' option did the trick. Thanks.
I'll buy you a coffee.