X-Plane: Bogus model variations offered for C172

Any questions regarding JoinFS.
Daikan

X-Plane: Bogus model variations offered for C172

Post by Daikan »

While trying to substitute the default singleprop model with something for ICAO code "C172" I noticed the field "Select a variation" is offering me a huge list of totally unrelated models to choose from:

jfs_01.jpg
jfs_01.jpg (90.69 KiB) Viewed 1785 times
jfs_02_2.jpg
jfs_02_2.jpg (142.49 KiB) Viewed 1785 times

Among the models in the list are also Laminar's default aircraft such as the F-4.

I presume this is caused by a missing ICAO code in the scanned .acf's as seems to be the case for example for the default F-4 when its "Author" info is displayed in Planemaker:

jfs_03.jpg
jfs_03.jpg (109.08 KiB) Viewed 1785 times

Now, I didn't have the patience to verify this for all the models in the list but assuming my conclusion is indeed correct it looks like the only way to fix this would be to open each .acf and fill-in that missing bit of info by hand and re-save - which could take a loooong time and is at risk of getting overwritten with each X-Plane or custom aircraft update...

Frankly, if my conclusion is indeed correct I think it would be much better if JFS assigned a unique and potentially "fictional" type code to generated CSL models whose source models don't provide that info in their metadata as this would prevent the C172 to serve as a "catch-all" container for misconfigured/lacking .acf's...

So, 3 questions:
  1. Is anybody able to reproduce this behavior on their end?
  2. Does JFS indeed assign default ICAO "C172" when it can't find that info for scanned models?
  3. Ideas for a better workaround than hand-editing the acf's one by one?
Tested with JFS 3.2.8 / Windows 10.
Peter
Site Admin

Re: X-Plane: Bogus model variations offered for C172

Post by Peter »

Hi, yes you are right, some models do seem to have a missing ICAO. That's really the fault of the model maker neglecting that information. I could add a different catch-all instead of C172, however I don't really think that solves anything. You still end up with a list of non typed models.

It's a fairly minor issue, if somewhat untidy. If you can't find the model you are looking for just check the C172 list.

If you manage to find the ICAO code elsewhere in the model files let me know and I might be able to use that if it is missing in the .acf file.

Thanks,

Peter
Daikan

Re: X-Plane: Bogus model variations offered for C172

Post by Daikan »

If it would be possible to automatically update the list of ICAO codes during model scanning IMO the best solution for these cases would be if JFS generated a fictonal "ICAO" based on the model's X-Plane UI name (e.g. "F-4 Phantom II" in the above case) or the aircraft's file/folder name for that matter - optionally prefixing it with something to mark it as a special case...