Software integration query/permission request.

Any questions regarding JoinFS.
ballen

Software integration query/permission request.

Post by ballen »

Hi Peter,

I wondered if there was a way in which I can contact you regarding an "optional user integration" that I've worked on and would like to check that you are happy for me to include it into a free piece of software that I also work on and provide free of charge to others.

To be clear this isn't and would not be the "main feature" of my software but was requested by a Virtual Airline that uses my platform to have the ability to provide optional integration into my software so that they can fly together and see each other on the map - I'm essentially just automating the startup of JoinFS and logging into our public community server.

After looking over the software I feel that it could potentially be a great optional feature for other users of my platform too if they wanted to "fly online" across different simulators.

I fully require the user to download and install your software separately (if they want to use the optional integration) and nothing is "hidden" (eg. not trying to pass it off as my own work or anything like that), and from the included license agreement appears that what I've done is perfectly acceptable and probably don't even need to bother you but... I thought it would only be fair to contact you first in order to:

1) Send you screenshots as to how it will look/level of "optional user integration" into my software - You can "block" me from releasing it in the next release too if you wanted (at the moment I'm just testing it with a few of my volunteer support and test users).

2) Generally check if you're happy for me to integrate and automate it - as opposed to just telling people to join our own "public hub" with an address - I will provide details in a PM if you want. - From the work you've put in on the CLI options and your manual seems to indicate that maybe you want people to use such features for this purpose which is great!

3) I guess *warn* you that in theory you could see a raft of new users and support requests but I'm more than happy to try and document the basics (once I work them out too) which should mean you shouldn't be too bothered/hassled.

In addition to the above, if there was any other way in which I can help you in return eg. maybe you need aircraft label data or other data that I can provide out of my database.... I have a lot of data :D - I'd be more than happy to help.

From my initial testing of your software (and the very recent release of your Linux server - which is the main reason I even considered hosting a community server in the first place), this seems like a great piece of software and as a fellow freeware/open-source software developer I can appreciate how much time this has taken you to develop :+1

So maybe you could (if you did want to talk/know more) allow me to PM you (it's not allowing me to do that due to needing to post more posts) or email me at: bobbyallen.uk[at]gmail.com and I can provide further details and screenshots (if required) but if not - I would just like to pass on my congratulations and appreciation for your time and effort.

Many thanks,
Bobby
Peter
Site Admin

Re: Software integration query/permission request.

Post by Peter »

Hi Bobby,

Thanks for getting in touch. I am happy for you to use JoinFS as you wish in its released form. As you say, the license prohibits distributing any of the contents of the installer separately, or charging for it. But if you want to automate things to make life a bit easier for the user then that's fine, and entirely up to you.

If they are installing from the JoinFS website release page then that's great, as I will get the benefits of the extra web traffic.

I will see if I can give you access to the PMs. I think it takes at least one post to gain access.

Regarding the code, yes indeed, I have put about 5000+ hours into JoinFS so far. Must be dedication I suppose... :)

Peter
ballen

Re: Software integration query/permission request.

Post by ballen »

Fantastic Peter - Many thanks for confirming and essentially granting permissions as per the above.

I'll send you a PM with further details (as opposed to what may appear as "advertising" on your site) :D

Kind regards,
Bobby