tacan frequency

Any questions regarding JoinFS.
DEMON702

tacan frequency

Post by DEMON702 »

hi there .
i need some help . currently i can add carrier tacan frequencies to my carrier but others flying with me(in join fs ) are unable to pick them up in there aircraft and use them to navigate to the carrier. is it possible to use the variable syncing feature to achieve this ? if so could you please, pretty please provide a simple step by step guid on how i can get them to work ,thanks
Peter
Site Admin

Re: tacan frequency

Post by Peter »

Hello,

yes, it should be possible. Have a look here for SimConnect variables http://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv2/LearningC ... ables.html and here for SimConnect events http://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv2/LearningC ... t_ids.html

Do a search on those pages for "tacan". You basically need to find which variables you need to add to the variable lists in order for the correct information to be synced. For example, I can see a variable "TACAN ACTIVE CHANNEL". Notice that this variable is not writable, so you will probably need to specify the event as well, looks like "TACAN1_CHANNEL_SET"

So the variable line to add to a new variable text file might be:

INTEGER||tacan active channel:1|number|tacan1_channel_set
INTEGER||tacan active channel:2|number|tacan2_channel_set

Try getting these variables working on your own machine by watching the monitor window and enabling the variables option. You should see notification when the Tacan changes. Don't forget to apply the new text file to the object in question.

Once you see things updating correctly on your own PC, apply the variables in the same way on another machine in the same session. Again, see if you both get notifications when the Tacan changes in the monitor window.

There are some other Tacan values like 'standby', but you may not need to sync those.

Peter
DEMON702

Post by DEMON702 »

thanks Peter i will give this a try
spitfire

Post by spitfire »

I fly the FA18E superhornet FSX SE using joinfs but have never been able to share tacan frequencies with other players.
Has anyone ever been able to get it working using the variables as above. If so could someone please explain it in simple terms how to do it.
Perhaps with an example giving the text lines to add in the variables or better still a tutorial video.
It would make such a difference if it were possible

Thanks in advance
Spitfire
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

spitfire wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:02 pm I fly the FA18E superhornet FSX SE using joinfs but have never been able to share tacan frequencies with other players.
Has anyone ever been able to get it working using the variables as above. If so could someone please explain it in simple terms how to do it.
Perhaps with an example giving the text lines to add in the variables or better still a tutorial video.
It would make such a difference if it were possible

Thanks in advance
Spitfire
There is a more recent thread about this here, viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1337&p=7557&hilit=tacan#p7557. It appears they got it working.

Peter
spitfire

Post by spitfire »

Hi Peter
Thank you for your reply, I and a friend have followed the link you gave me and copied the plane.txt and renamed it planeCOMS.txt and edited the line NAV ACTIVE FREQUENCY:2 with |INJECTED .
We placed a carrier using tacan 27x, both tuned to that but only the player that spawned the carrier was able to pick up the tacan the same as usual.
When we edit the line is it just with |INJECTED or should we be adding the 27x somewhere in that line ?
I don't know where we are going wrong do you have you any suggestions ?
Spitfire
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

It sounds like you need to link the variable on the carrier that is using that frequency. Does the carrier show up in the aircraft window or the objects window. If it is in the objects window, you need to edit the variables on the carrier. Add a file like carrier.txt containing a new line with the ACTIVE FREQUENCY, assuming that is the variable that the carrier is using? Everyone in the session will need to do this for the carrier object.

EDIT: I just noticed that objects window doesn't have a variables option. I would have to add that to enable it to work.

Peter
spitfire

Post by spitfire »

Thank you again Peter for your quick response, yes the carrier does show up in the objects window and it is a Tac pack carrier with a frequency is 27X other carriers have different tacan frequencies. We will try it again next time we are flying, or as soon as you are able to add the variables option.

Thanks again
Spitfire
spitfire

Post by spitfire »

Hi Peter
As the objects variables are not working until you enable it, we tried to do it with a Tacpac air refueling tanker the tacan set to 17Y but it's still not working. I have copied and pasted the text with |injected on both lines, does this look correct or am I missing something out, do I need to add 17Y somewhere on that line ?
INTEGER|sim/cockpit/radios/nav1_freq_hz|NAV ACTIVE FREQUENCY:1|frequency bcd16|NAV1_RADIO_SET|INJECTED
INTEGER|sim/cockpit/radios/nav2_freq_hz|NAV ACTIVE FREQUENCY:2|frequency bcd16|NAV2_RADIO_SET|INJECTED

Regards
Spitfire
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Not sure what 17Y is but you only need to specify the SIMCONNECT variable on that line, not the actual value. Those lines look fine if that is the variable you are trying to change. You could try removing the NAV1_RADIO_SET part, for example,

INTEGER|sim/cockpit/radios/nav1_freq_hz|NAV ACTIVE FREQUENCY:1|frequency bcd16||INJECTED

That will make it update the variable directly rather than trying to use an event to do it.

Are you monitoring the monitor window for variable updates? That is the best way to test this. If you right click in that window and enable variables you should be able to see any variable changes as they happen. Test it by switching the lights on/off or something to make sure you are seeing the changes in the monitor window. Then change the frequencies you are trying to update. If it's working then you will see the update happen in the monitor window. If you are not using X-Plane you could simplify that line further,

INTEGER||NAV ACTIVE FREQUENCY:1|frequency bcd16||INJECTED

Just to check, are you adding these line to a separate text file and using the Assign Variables option to update the file list for a particular aircraft?

Peter
spitfire

Post by spitfire »

Hi Peter
17Y is a channel paired to frequency 108.05, there are over 200 channels from 17X -17Y up to 126X -126Y frequency 117.95, and it is the way to input tacans in the FA18E.
I have simplified the line as you suggested, also tried the monitor window, it is updating some of the things like throttle heading of the tanker as it turns, But not the lights or tacans etc.

Yes I have have copied the plane .txt and renamed it plane COMS.txt as per your earlier suggestion and it shows up in the assign variables window.

Thanks again for your help and patience
Spitfire