sync any Sim Connect variable

Any questions regarding JoinFS.
DEMON702

sync any Sim Connect variable

Post by DEMON702 »

hello , what i would like to do is have a tacan frequency assigned to a AIRCRAFT CARRIER that others will be able to tune into so that other players can use to get barring and distance ( this can be done by looking in the objects list i know but is less convenient and if any are familiar with the superbug you have the option of selecting the tacan frequency you want ).
what i dont know how to do is use the Sim Connect variables in the newer versions. can detailed instructions be provided on how to do this ?
Peter
Site Admin

Re: sync any Sim Connect variable

Post by Peter »

Hello,

There are some details in the manual already, which I will flesh out a bit more, but essentially they should help you get it working. What you will basically need to do is create a new text file in '[USER]\Documents\JoinFS\Variables' called 'carrier.txt' or 'tacan.txt', the name of the file is up to you. You need to add the variables to the text file, one on each line, for example (this is only an example by the way):

INTEGER||TACAN ACTIVE CHANNEL:1|number|TACAN1_CHANNEL_SET
INTEGER||TACAN ACTIVE CHANNEL:2|number|TACAN2_CHANNEL_SET

Once you have created the text file, launch JoinFS, connect to the sim with the objects loaded. From the main menu select File|Assign Variables. In the popup window find the the carrier model that you are interested in. Click the Add button and open the tacan.txt file that you created. Click OK and then all models in the sim should then have those Tacan variables synced. Everyone in the session that wants to sync those variables will need to do this.

Next, do a search for 'tacan' on the following web pages,http://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv2/LearningC ... ables.html and http://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv2/LearningC ... t_ids.html. The first link are SimConnect variables. The second link are SimConnect events.

You will find that there are quite a few Tacan variables and events. Basically it's up to you to determine which of these need to be added to 'tacan.txt' It might be worth asking someone at VRS which of those SimConnect variables are being used. In the 'tacan.txt' file the second value name is the SimConnect variable name and the last name is the event. If the SimConnect variable from those links says that it is a writable variable then you shouldn't need to specify the event on the line. However, if it is not writable then you should use the corresponding event name.

I hope that makes sense. I would suggest adding one variable at a time and using the JoinFS monitor, right-click, enable variables, to see the sync working or look out for any SimConnect errors.

Just a final thought, there is possibly a problem in the current version which prevents variables getting updated on injected objects. I will get back to you once I've fixed that.

Peter