Scan for Models problem

Any questions regarding JoinFS.
aeronauta

Scan for Models problem

Post by aeronauta »

MSFS scan for models only shows the models ticked and nothing from the "Other folders to scan " like "Community" .

If I do not tick any box with the packages folder path at the top I do not get any aircraft at all..>

tried different folders but nothing.. any help please...

Jorge
Peter
Site Admin

Re: Scan for Models problem

Post by Peter »

Hi Jorge,

Are you using the correct packages folder? In my 'Flight Simulator Packages' folder I have two folders, 'Community' and 'Official'. If you do a scan with that packages folder set at the top of the window then it should find quite a few aircraft.

You do not need to add 'Community' to 'Other folders' since the scan will pick up everything under the packages folder.

I just tried adding the H135 to my Community folder and it found it without any problems.

Are you using the packages folder that contains 'Official' with all the main aircraft inside it?

Peter
aeronauta

Post by aeronauta »

Hi Peter thank you, I copy and paste the path from the explorer where the packages folder is , it contains both Official and Community folders in it , I then add the same path but with the \community at the end in the Other folders to scan , if now I scan without ticking any of the boxes in the add-on window I get "No models Found" and as you I have installed the H135 there...if I tick the boxes I get 50 models but not the H135.
It recognizes that I am flying the H135 and the correct livery but cannot see my friend in the H135 as is not in the list of models...
Tried start normal and as Admin..same.

This is my problem I know but cannot find a way to solve it, thank you for your help...

Jorge

ps using 2.1.5 and 2020 1.14.6.0
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

The only reason that it finds model when you tick the add-ons is because those are added automatically and not actually scanned from the file system. So basically it it not finding any of the models in your packages folder. Have you tried using the 'Browse' button in the scan window to choose the packages folder. I wonder if the copy/paste from explorer is not giving you the correct path format?

Peter
aeronauta

Post by aeronauta »

Thank you Peter, I did a browse selection and still failed to find the extra H135 , one thing I just thought is , as I was going through the folder path I noticed some folders that indicate on the icon that they are either a shortcut or a link ...anyway they get to the community and Official folders , just for a test I copied the path and paste it in a windows explorer and took me to the Comm and official folder...my 2020 is installed in G:\ drive so when you look in user ... it is all links or shortcuts..

Jorge
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Hi Jorge, have you tried using the additional folders option to add the folders where the aircraft actually reside?

Peter
aeronauta

Post by aeronauta »

NAILED IT!!!!

Peter , it has to do with the way the path is in my system, what I did was to first create a folder Packages in a drive , then add Community and Official|OneStore folders to it , nothing in the add folders, all boxes ticked , in the community folder added my community AC (H135)...run the scan and found 38 models (32 asobo and 6 h135) .

As I suspected something to do with this funny looking folders that redirect the path...I don't know how you can reproduce this , maybe create a folder and link to it and place the path in the scan...

Well my problem is somehow solved , thank you for your help...

regards Jorge
Last edited by aeronauta on Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Well done, Jorge. So you are basically saying that JoinFS does not search into shortcut/link folders. I think I should be able to fix that.

Thanks for persisting and finding the cause of the problem.

Peter
aeronauta

Post by aeronauta »

Thank you Peter, always good to find a solution , although in this case the problem did not seem to be very common...

Whenever you try any fix I will try it and report...

Jorge
Epic

Post by Epic »

Hi all,

Can't seem to get this to work at all, regardless of which way I lay out the link to the folder
.....\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_***********\LocalCache I get a list of subfolders I can tick, ticking these makes no difference as I still only get 50 aircraft

.....\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_***********\LocalCache\Community shows nothing in the subfolders and only finds 50 aircraft

However if I go right down to the aircraft level, (here showing the MB-339) I get a folder in subfolders called aircraft, ticking this means I get 57 aircraft
.....\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_***********\LocalCache\Community\indiafoxtecho-mb339

I've removed some of the link details pasted above
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Epic wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:04 am Hi all,

Can't seem to get this to work at all, regardless of which way I lay out the link to the folder
.....\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_***********\LocalCache I get a list of subfolders I can tick, ticking these makes no difference as I still only get 50 aircraft

.....\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_***********\LocalCache\Community shows nothing in the subfolders and only finds 50 aircraft

However if I go right down to the aircraft level, (here showing the MB-339) I get a folder in subfolders called aircraft, ticking this means I get 57 aircraft
.....\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_***********\LocalCache\Community\indiafoxtecho-mb339

I've removed some of the link details pasted above
Hi Eric,

are any of those subfolders shortcut or link folders?

Peter
Epic

Post by Epic »

No they are all normal
somiller

Post by somiller »

I am having the same problems with model scanning for MSFS. When using Packages as the scan target only stock aircraft with no addon liveries show up.

However, after selecting "Packages\Community\aerosoft-crj" folder rather than the Packages folder, the CRJ and all stock aircraft scan correctly.

I have the JustFlight Piper Arrow III (in the Community Folder), but the only way I could get it to scan was to add "...\Packages\Community\justflight-aircraft-pa28-arrow-iii\SimObjects\Airplanes" to the Other Folders to Scan window.

I am able to get addon liveries to scan by adding the parent directory that contains all my livery sub-directories to the Other Folders to Scan window..

There's clearly something not working with the logic when using the Packages folder as the scan path.

Kind Regards,
Steven Miller
Last edited by somiller on Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
RCFlyer

Post by RCFlyer »

There is still an issue with scanning MSFS2020 models. As other have said, I can't get a successful scan without checking the addon boxes and then only get 36 models and none of my community aircraft. I have tried various folder changes with no success. I am using the most current version of JoinFS and of MSFS2020.

Regards,

Danny
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Thanks, Danny. Yes, it looks like there is definitely an issue with the Community folder scanning in the current version. I am sure it will something simple.

Peter
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

somiller wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:00 am I am having the same problems with model scanning for MSFS. When using Packages as the scan target only stock aircraft with no addon liveries show up.

However, after selecting "Packages\Community\aerosoft-crj" folder rather than the Packages folder, the CRJ and all stock aircraft scan correctly.

I have the JustFlight Piper Arrow III (in the Community Folder), but the only way I could get it to scan was to add "...\Packages\Community\justflight-aircraft-pa28-arrow-iii\SimObjects\Airplanes" to the Other Folders to Scan window.

I am able to get addon liveries to scan by adding the parent directory that contains all my livery sub-directories to the Other Folders to Scan window..

There's clearly something not working with the logic when using the Packages folder as the scan path.

Kind Regards,
Steven Miller
Hi Steven,

could you check to see if either the Community or the 'aerosoft-crj' folders are special shortcut/redirected folders?

Peter
somiller

Post by somiller »

Peter,

Depends on what Community folder I check. I installed MSFS to E: which is a non-system drive.

"E:\WpSystem\S-1-5-21-2798140993-778685438-1837869802-1001\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\Community"
The path above is all normal directories, no links or redirects.

"C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\Community"
The above Community directory is a normal directory, however, the parent "LocalCache" directory is a link/redirect.

Kind Regards,
Steven
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

For anyone still having problems with scanning, could you check your hard disk volume to see if it is FAT32 or NTFS? It also seems that people that are having the problem appear to have particularly long file paths. I am just wondering if they are exceeding a limit in the path length and may need to be handled in a special way.

Peter
MacKuen

Post by MacKuen »

Hi Peter,

I am the same situation as Danny (RCFlyer). When I point to the " ... \Packages" folder, I get the 36 models.

F:\WpSystem\S-1-5-21-2268996188-221557149-865940393-1001\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages

When I explicitly add the "...\Packages\Community" folder, the same.

F:\WpSystem\S-1-5-21-2268996188-221557149-865940393-1001\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\Community

When I add other specific folders to which symbolic links point, no additional models are read. For example, I have the IndiaFoxtEcho Aermacchi MB-339 located on my F Drive in a separate folder and it is symbolic-linked from the Community folder:

F:\Addons MSFS\Aircraft\A_Aeromacchi MB-339_IFE

Or I can add an addition livery for a an aircraft (even a default one):

F:\Addons MSFS\Liveries\Daher TBM\L_Daher_TBM_N889JG Blue-Red uW_Jan Kees Blom

None of these extra file locations given to JoinFS have any effect.

Note that my experience is different from Steve's above (somiller) where he is able to get JoinFS to scan and recognize a model by giving JoinFS specific information.

In all cases, these folders are readable and have an accessible "aircraft.cfg" file.

The "F" drive is NTFS. (And recall that I have enabled long path name support in Windows 10.)

Hope this helps. Please let us know what more we can do.

Mike MacKuen
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

MacKuen wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:55 pm The "F" drive is NTFS. (And recall that I have enabled long path name support in Windows 10.)
Hi Mike,

Ah, that's interesting. I have now read that JoinFS needs to specifically enable support for long path names, so I suspect this could well be the root of the problem.

As a test, could you try copying one or two of the aircraft into a temporary folder much higher up on that drive, at the root for example, and see if JoinFS can scan it from there?

I will try enabling long path names in v2.2.3.

Peter