Scan for Models problem

Any questions regarding JoinFS.
somiller

Re: Scan for Models problem

Post by somiller »

I don't know if it's of value to know, that longpathnames is NOT enabled on my system; all drives are NTFS.

I was curious whether we were approaching the 260 character path limit for a system with longpathnames NOT enabled so I wrote a little JS script to count ALL characters in a path name.

Below is the longest pathname Mike has provided, and it is only 140 characters(including all special characters and backslashes), so even if the path were almost twice as long it still would be within the 260 character limit of a system with longpathnames NOT enabled. I really doubt that, in most cases, if the issue is longpathnames.

F:\WpSystem\S-1-5-21-2268996188-221557149-865940393-1001\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\Community
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

somiller wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:07 pm I don't know if it's of value to know, that longpathnames is NOT enabled on my system; all drives are NTFS.

I was curious whether we were approaching the 260 character path limit for a system with longpathnames NOT enabled so I wrote a little JS script to count ALL characters in a path name.

Below is the longest pathname Mike has provided, and it is only 140 characters(including all special characters and backslashes), so even if the path were almost twice as long it still would be within the 260 character limit of a system with longpathnames NOT enabled. I really doubt that, in most cases, if the issue is longpathnames.

F:\WpSystem\S-1-5-21-2268996188-221557149-865940393-1001\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\Community
Sure, but it is not just the length up to the Community folder, it's everything else that is appended during the search, all the way down to the aircraft.cfg file. There is a chance that some of those hit 260.

Peter
MacKuen

Post by MacKuen »

Peter (and Steve),

I tried copying the MB-339 here:

F:\Addons MSFS\A_Aeromacchi MB-339_IFE

The JoinFS scan produces 36 models as before. Not picking up the MB-339.

Then, to keep the pathway really short, I copied the Vertigo here:

F:\Vertigo

(the full address of the aircraft.cfg is
F:\Vertigo\SimObjects\Airplanes\GotGravel_Vertigo\aircraft.cfg)

while giving JoinFS the explicit scan address "F:\Vertigo" and still my scan yields the same 36 Asobo (and Carenado) models as before.

I am running JoinFS with Administrator Rights set to yes (and another test with it set to no) and with a Windows 10 group policy enabling long path names.

So it is not obvious that our problem is the long path. Worth a try, though.

Mike
(PS, If you want us to try the "long path enabled" version before release, then that would be great.)
somiller

Post by somiller »

Peter,

Try this: (note the dots at the end of the path)
"E:\WpSystem\S-1-5-21-2798140993-778685438-1837869802-1001\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\.."

I know there was discussion about possible problems reading from directory links versus discrete path, so I did a test and found no difference between selecting the link source or link target. Both paths scanned 32 models, no addons. For these scans I had boxes checked only for Asobo Standard, Deluxe, Premium and declared no paths in "Other folders to scan". (Seems to me that something in the logic is telling the scan to ONLY include what is specifically requested)
Ex.:

Source (LocalCache is the link):
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages

Target (contains the live assets):
E:\WpSystem\S-1-5-21-2798140993-778685438-1837869802-1001\AppData\Local\Packages

The really weird thing is if I add paths to "Other folders to scan" and use the above paths I get no models from the paths in "Other folders to scan".

If I change the default directory to "E:\WpSystem\S-1-5-21-2798140993-778685438-1837869802-1001\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\Community\aerosoft-crj\SimObjects\Airplanes"
then I get the original 32 models + the CRJ + addons included in entries in "Other folders to scan".

It seems that the default scan directory does nothing, unless it targets a specific aircraft directory.
somiller

Post by somiller »

Peter,

Try this:

"E:\WpSystem\S-1-5-21-2798140993-778685438-1837869802-1001\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\*.*"

and add specific addons to "Other folders to scan" such as:
"E:\WpSystem\S-1-5-21-2798140993-778685438-1837869802-1001\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\Community\aerosoft-crj\SimObjects\Airplanes"
MacKuen

Post by MacKuen »

Steve and Peter,

Well, Steve's partial solution now works (mostly) on my heretofore resistant file system.

First, I pointed the 'Flight Simulator Packages' folder as Steve suggested "...\LocalCache\Packages\*.*"

Then I can paste into the "Other folders to scan:" box the explicit link to the specifically appropriate "...\Airplanes" folder and get JoinFS to scan and add the model. This is true for one aircraft actually in the "Community" folder. And it is also true for several aircraft that are in another ("F:\MFS Addons\Aircraft") folder and symbolic-linked to the "Community" folder. I retrieved the address for the specifically appropriate "...\Airplanes|" folder through the symbolic link in the Community folder. [That is, I did not go directly to the "F:\MFS Addons" folder but instead clicked through the symbolic link as though it were the real thing.]

And I was similarly successful in pointing to a number of additional addon liveries, which constitute additional models for JoinFS purposes. Again, these are stored physically in a "F:\MFS Addons\Liveries" folder and their addresses were retrieved through the specific symbolic link.

So far, my only recalcitrant airplane is the ATSimulations P.149D folder (which is physically in the "F:\MFS Addons\Aircraft" folder and linked to the Community folder). Not sure why JoinFS cannot scan that address. Will look more closely at that specific problem.

This a great step forward, Steve.

Not sure what it implies for Peter's coding...but that is above my pay grade.

Mike
somiller

Post by somiller »

Mike,

Does the name of the "ATSimulations P.149D folder" for this aircraft contain the "." in the name as you typed it here?

If so, try a copy of that folder with the "." removed from the name and see if that makes a difference.

As a side note, did you try the path too the "Packages" directory with "\.." added on the end? If not try it...I think you'll be surprised - not that it works, but it provides an interesting result - Hint: look at the "subfolder" window after adding \..
MacKuen

Post by MacKuen »

Peter,

Sorry to report that the new "long path enabled" JoinFS 2.2.3T did not do the trick.

Steve's workaround (3 posts above), ending the Packages pointer with "...\*.*" and then inserting into the additional search box all the aircraft packages and addon livery packages does get the scan to read the models. (At least in my tests. Cannot say for sure on all instances.)

So apparently JoinFS can read the aircraft.cfg if the user points directly to the folder. Well, this seems to be the case.

Still hoping that we can get this to work.

Mike
Jerichoid

Post by Jerichoid »

Hello Peter,

I have to take up this topic again.
I am aware that you do not display models from others if you do not own them yourself. That's where the replacement method comes in.

Nevertheless, there seems to be a problem with standard aircraft.For example, variants of aircraft are not displayed, such as the Shock Ultra with skis, or the JU52-modern. In these cases it shows the replacement model, even though those own the aircraft.

Do I now have to make a long list of all the aircraft it does not display? Or will there be an update that solves the problem?

Cheers
Jeff
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Hi Jeff,

I am not sure what you mean by "In these cases it shows the replacement model, even though those own the aircraft."

Which simulator are you working with?

Peter
Jerichoid

Post by Jerichoid »

MSFS2020

For example, my friends have the KitFox, me neither. I have to replace it with another aircraft. Thats ok so far.

But in case of JU52, XCub or ShockUltra JFS won't use the variant, for example with ski or floats. It uses the replacement what I have choose for standard turboprop or single propeller aircraft.
But my friends have also the JU52, XCub and ShockUltra, so why we don't see the aircrafts?

Last week case: Friend#1 choose the Ju52-modern, friend#2 saw a standard turboprop (guess it was a bonanza), I was sawing a Ju52-livery from the community folder instead of the Ju52-modern standard livery.

Hope you understand my problem...