Network not Active issue

Any questions regarding JoinFS.
rpmc

Network not Active issue

Post by rpmc »

Hello,

I am trying to connect two machines on the same home LAN. I can create create Network on machine 1, but machine 2 never connects. JoinFS is an allowed app (Private) in Windows Security Firewall on both machines.

Ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Bob

Here are my details:
Attachments
Untitled-75.png
Untitled-75.png (215.8 KiB) Viewed 7589 times
ATC Roo

Re: Network not Active issue

Post by ATC Roo »

Have you tried using your internal IP address instead of your external address?
rpmc

Post by rpmc »

Yes, I did try my internal ip address. Same result, no success.

I wonder, is there an issue connecting two different versions of P3D? Or, has anyone gotten JoinFS to work with P3D v5.0 or v5.1?

I have also tried running both of the sims and both JoinFs instances as Administrator. Again, no success.

Another clue is that I have not been able to connect the two sims using P3D Multiplayer.

The only thing that works for me, so far, is running FSX on both machines and connecting them using FSX Multiplayer.
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

Well if they were my PCs I'd rule out the different SIM versions, as both JoinFS clients say they are connected to a SIM.

The issue is the network on one client.

Have you specified different ports for both JFS clients?

I would use the default 6112 with client 1 and 6113 with client 2.
Then input client 1s internal IP into client 2 and try to connect.
I'd use internal IPs first incase your router doesn't support NAT loopback(going out of your LAN and coming back on WAN).
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

And looking at your picture again...

You're trying to connect client 1 to client 2 (success).

But then tring to connect client 2 to client 1?

That's not needed as the 2 machines are already talking on the first connection.

Connect client 2 to somebody else, like a hub or the global network.
rpmc

Post by rpmc »

I tried your suggestions but again, the two pcs do not connect.

However, if I connect each JoinFS client by clicking "Join Global", then I can see the other aircraft in each sim.

At the moment, I don't understand the issues I have with my LAN, but my immediate problem is solved. I still want to figure out how to connect using a LAN only ... so, I will work on that.

Thanks for your assistance!

Bob
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

Peter can correct me where I'm wrong, it's his baby.
But...

Your first picture would be a LAN only connection.

If they're not connecting in that configuration you'd need to start looking at firewalls etc.

LAN only setup....
Client 1 connected to SIM only (network not green).
Client 2 connected to client 1s internal IP (Both Network and simulator buttons green).
Each client should be using a different port to the other.

If you use your external IP you will need to forward the 2 different UDP ports to the respective machines, else JoinFS won't know which client to speak too as it comes back in from the WAN side.

I recommended using Internal IPs only for a LAN setup.
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Hi Bob,

There shouldn't be a problem connecting over the LAN. I do that here without a problem.

First, I would ignore the simulator connection completely. The simulator doesn't need to be connected in order for JoinFS to connect over the network to other instances. So you could leave the Simulator buttons red.

The simplest case is to click create on one machine. The network button goes green. Then type in the local IP address of that machine on the other machine. Click Join and it should link up. Check the View|Session window to see each other in the session.

By default, JoinFS uses port 6112 for network connections, so just check your JoinFS settings to make sure you haven't enabled an alternative port number.

I don't think it's a Windows firewall problem since you have both connected via the global session.

Also, it's a good idea before trying anything else to ping the other machine on the Windows command line to make sure there is a valid connection there.

Peter
rpmc

Post by rpmc »

Hi Peter,

I believe that I just solved my problem, and it reveals my lack of understanding of networks.

My connection configuration had been:

PC#1 - ethernet connection hard wired into my router. This pc also had a USB wireless adapter plugged into it to communicate with a remote printer and that adapter was connected to my wifi LAN.

PC#2 was connected via wifi transmitted from mesh access points plugged into the router.

That combination did not work for a JoinFS LAN connection but it did work when both JoinFS instances were connected via Join Global.

So, I unplugged PC#1 ethernet cable and disabled the ethernet adapter in BIOS. I left the USB wireless adapter plugged in and connected to wifi.

With this configuration JoinFS connects right away using LAN, as does native P3D Multiplayer which also had not been connecting before. Before the switch, both machines had been showing connection to wifi, but I guess I didn't appreciate the complication caused by the ethernet connection.

Thanks for your assistance and concern!

Bob