I run two hubs, is this still possible with latest update

Any questions regarding JoinFS.
ianhammond

I run two hubs, is this still possible with latest update

Post by ianhammond »

HI Guys,

Firstly, thankyou to Peter for coming back to joinfs to update it. Great piece of software.

I run a couple of Hubs, one for a local FS Group and another for a group of grounded/redundant pilots (i'm the latter!) Until now the separation was taken care of by port forwarding.

I have held off on updating both instances of joinfs (running on 2 separate machines) I have the club one on the latest as a password protected hub and the other less used one on 1.5.4.

So my question is: can I run two password protected hubs behind my external IP with different names?

Many thanks in advance

Ian
Peter
Site Admin

Re: I run two hubs, is this still possible with latest update

Post by Peter »

Hi Ian,

Thanks.

Yes, the password protection is not affected by the port forwarding, so you should be able to leave the port forwarding as it was. Which usually means choosing a different local port for the second machine and then forwarding both ports on the router, UDP-only, to their respective machines.

Both hubs should show up separately in the list and be accessible. If you are flying yourself on a third machine, then you'll need to use a third port and configure all three ports on the router as above.

Let me know if you discover any issues with it.

Best regards,
Peter
ianhammond

Post by ianhammond »

Hi Peter,

Thanks ever so much for the prompt reply. I shall give all that a go, and report back in case anyone else is in a similar situation

Cheers

Ian
ianhammond

Post by ianhammond »

Hi Peter/All,

Just to update this, I'm unable to broadcast two hubs from one external IP.
The original hub, which I named GFSG shows up in the public hub list, that's on the default port of 6112, the second hub called FlightPad (port 6000) sadly doesn't show in the list, however it can be connected to using the Machine ID number. Interesting note is that when connecting to the second hub (flightpad) during testing (non-LAN, got a friend to test from their home) rather than showing the numbers or the name flightpad in the join box it shows the name of the first hub (GFSG).

If you can help, great! If not then this workaround will do for now!

Many thanks,

Ian
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Hi Ian,

Actually, I designed it so that only one hub would be allowed per external IP address. This was just a precaution to prevent spamming the hub list with lots of hubs. I might be able to change this to use a limit instead, for example, a maximum of three hubs or something like that. I'll need to have a little think about that, but I think it would be useful to allow more than one.

Peter
ianhammond

Post by ianhammond »

Hi Peter,

Many thanks indeed! About time I donated I think.

Cheers

Ian