Problem with .msi installer under wine (Linux)

Report problems with JoinFS.
Flap

Problem with .msi installer under wine (Linux)

Post by Flap »

Hey, I would love to try out JoinFS on Linux, but I can't complete installation. I installed net framework 3.5 with Winetricks, but still get the error. In the manual wine is mentioned as system requirement, so I guess I did something wrong?

Although the installer doesn't work, that doesn't mean JoinFS itself doesn't work. So would it be possible to make a standalone version of JoinFS? That would make things a lot easier for Wine. Or maybe someone could install it under windows and share the JoinFS folder with me. If that works of course.

This is the error it gives me in the terminal and I included the error of the installer itself.

0009:err:msi:ITERATE_Actions Execution halted, action L"WixSchedInternetShortcuts" returned 1603
0009:fixme:msi:internal_ui_handler internal UI not implemented for message 0x0b000000 (UI level = 5)
0009:fixme:msi:internal_ui_handler internal UI not implemented for message 0x0b000000 (UI level = 5)
0009:err:msi:ITERATE_Actions Execution halted, action L"ExecuteAction" returned 1603

Thanks, Flap
Attachments
Screenshot from 2019-01-08 14-00-45.png
Screenshot from 2019-01-08 14-00-45.png (18.72 KiB) Viewed 18782 times
Peter
Site Admin

Re: Problem with .msi installer under wine (Linux)

Post by Peter »

Not all that surprised that there's a problem, especially with the installer. Looks like something to do with installing the shortcut. It's a shame that it terminates rather than skipping over that part.

Can't you just install JoinFS on a Windows machine and then copy the installed files as you need them. Effectively making your own standalone installer? When there's a new version, just copy the files over again.

Peter
Flap

Post by Flap »

I don't have a windows pc around sadly. But I will install a virtual machine of windows, that should be able to install JoinFS. Maybe I can even run JoinFS from the virtual machine to connect to X-plane Linux? I'm not sure how JoinFS 'talks' to X-plane, but if its over network, it should be possible.
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

JoinFS will install under WINE with the JoinFS installer.

I do this on a Centos 7 system.

Although I use Playonlinux to run the installer and the App, I did originally just run it under WINE.

If you do run the installer through PlayOnLinux, you can use the Debug option to see where it gets hung up.

1.Install the appropriate dotnet (I use 4.5 off the top of my head).
2.Install the XPACK version of Simconnect.
I know JoinFS checks for Simconnect, but Linux likes to have it installed for some reason.
3.Install JoinFS.
Flap

Post by Flap »

I got JoinFS running now, I had to use Windows (virtual) to install JoinFS. But I copied over the folder and it runs just fine under Wine.

Although, I noticed that the JoinFS plugin only includes the win.xpl and not the linux version lin.xpl. So this plugin won't work at all, unless I run X-plane itself under Wine.

Is there a workaround for this? Maybe an other way to connect to the sim? Or is this the part where I need XPACK. I have never heard of this, but I will try to install it as well.
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

If JoinFS is running fine and you use Xplane, you won't need the XPACK version of Simconnect.

I never thought of simply copying the folders over.
That might save me some issues during the next update.

The issue you now have is that there is no linux Xplane Plugin (AFAIK).

You can run FSX under wine, so JoinFS under linux can work that way.

But without a lin.xpl, the linux version of Xplane and JoinFS won't work.
Flap

Post by Flap »

I can confirm that running X-plane under wine, it can connect to JoinFS. I just tested it with a X-plane 11 demo version.

I did notice some performance loss when running X-plane under Wine. The best solution would be to have a Linux plugin so I can run X-plane under native Linux. I don't know how much work that would be for the developer to compile, but its just a suggestion. I would love to help testing it.
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

Good stuff.
Its nice to see another linux user in the mix.
markay

Post by markay »

Linux user here too who would love to get JoinFS working on X-plane Linux version. Using Openesuse 15 here and X-plane runs like a dream.
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

Hi Markay

You'll need to run both Xplane and JoinFS under WINE.

You won't be able to run Xplane on Linux and JoinFS under WINE.

Both will need to be run under WINE.
markay

Post by markay »

Thanks Roo. I may give it a go but it seems a backward step. Thanks for the input though.
VBV001

Post by VBV001 »

Good evening,

I just started with JoinFS and because we have a server running on Linux I test everything out on Linux.
I having troubles with installing X-plane with Wine. Is always comes back that there is an error.

Can somebody help me with this issue. I am using the latest Wine.

Regards,

Cor
Popfly

Post by Popfly »

ATC Roo wrote: You'll need to run both Xplane and JoinFS under WINE. You won't be able to run Xplane on Linux and JoinFS under WINE.
This is very sad :( . I use Ubuntu 18.04 under which X-Plane 11 works well, and I was able with some fiddling with PlayOnLinux (which uses WINE) to get JoinFS installed and running very well! The settings panel is excellent which allows for the installation of the JoinFS plugin for X-Plane, which alas has only the win.xpl module. :cry: I then clicked the box in JoinFS settings to download and install VC_redist.x64.exe , but the link is broken. I thus found and downloaded VC_redist.x64.exe , but ... it won't install under WINE! :o I did an internet search and found that VC_redist.x64.exe is not able to be installed under WINE.

There appear to be a few others using Linux who would also like to use JoinFS, but installing both X-Plane and JoinFS using WINE or VirtualBox is not an acceptable method; it slows X-Plane. WINE converts Windows commands to Linux commands, thus the converted program actually uses Linux. So JoinFS works, and X-Plane works, but the plugin connecting them doesn't. What a shame.

There must be some achievable solution to fixing this so that the JoinFS plugin works in Linux. Is there another method besides using VC_redist.x64.exe? Would building the plugin that works in Linux be too difficult? I have seen others on this forum who have volunteered to help. Is this not a possibility? :?

Please ... :)

Bill
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

Being a Linux fan, I'm happy to look into it.

The only problems are.....
I dont own X Plane and I dont have much spare time.

So when I do come up with something, people would need to test and report back, which might make for slow progress.

Roo
Popfly

Post by Popfly »

ATC Roo wrote:Being a Linux fan, I'm happy to look into it.

The only problems are.....
I dont own X Plane and I dont have much spare time.

So when I do come up with something, people would need to test and report back, which might make for slow progress.

Roo
Most excellent! Progress is the key word here, I'm thinking. :D

Bill
foo

Post by foo »

Hi I've got JoinFS working in WINE but the JoinFS X-Plane plugin is not compatible with the Linux or Mac versions. running X-Plane in WINE is not a solution unfortunately
Last edited by foo on Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

I'm working on a 64bit plugin at the moment.

I'm not far off but have very limited time to complete it.

I'll post it here once complete.
Fred Stegmann

Post by Fred Stegmann »

Hi Roo,
I am new on this forum and a vivid Linux user; obviously flying X-Plane 11 on Linux.
Proudly member of the Aeroworx team who designed the well known Douglas C-47 / DC-3 and the Tiger Moth DH82 for X-Plane.
If at all possible it would be absolutely awesome if you could amend JoinFS to install directly into Linux and X-Plane!
I am willing to assist you in beta testing for what it's worth?
The time factor seems to be an issue for all developers which I well understand...

Kind regards,
Fred Stegmann
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

Hi Fred,

I'm afraid JoinFS isnt my baby, it belongs to Peter and any credit should be given to him.

As for making JoinFS an Xplane plugin (is that what you meant?), I believe it's not possible with out a lot of work.

JoinFS is written with .Net and changing everything to work with .Net core would cause Peter a whole world of pain IMO.

I should have a working linux plugin for Xplane available soon, but JoinFS will still need to be run under wine.
foo

Post by foo »

Thank you for your work Roo!!

Running the JoinFS client in WINE is no problem really, it's just the JoinFS XP plugin that's the missing link for us Mac/Linux pilots! (no lin.xpl or mac.xpl included)

Welcome to contact me if you need testers, also no stranger to GCC, GNU/Linux and Makefiles, be happy to help if I can :-)