Illegal characters by repaint authors

Report problems with JoinFS.
spokes2112

Illegal characters by repaint authors

Post by spokes2112 »

Hi Peter,
Happy New Year to you!
Hope you had a fine holiday season.

Not really the fault of JoinFS (moreso the repaint author) and am unsure if anything can be done about it.
If a repaint author supplies the readme with rich text in the [flightsim.xx] section for copy/paste your excellent program hiccups a bit.
It takes inventory correctly and shows exact in the models <simulator>.txt.
It is when time for injection that it fails.. JoinFS cannot find the model and it is not available in the substitution list.
The only way we could correct it is by everyone shutting down the sim, modding the aircraft.cfg, restarting and doing a reinventory.
An example is here.

I think all the guys over at the Saturday Evening MP Session @ Avsim will echo my thoughts..
Cannot thank you enough for the contribution to flightsim - a game changer!

Cheers,
Roman
Peter
Site Admin

Re: Illegal characters by repaint authors

Post by Peter »

Hi Roman,

And a happy new year to you all at 'Saturday Evening MP Session @ Avsim'. :)

Looks like the quotation symbols are the culprit here. Should be able to fix that. Keep an eye on the change logs.

Peter
spokes2112

Post by spokes2112 »

Hi Peter,

More of a query than a bug. Thought I would put it here since we are talking about text and matching.
JoinFS uses the aircraft.cfg title= as the primary source to inject aircraft - correct?
Found something again and it just may be more of a repainters blunder - comments on the same line as the title.

In aircraft.cfg -
[fltsim.0]
title=Beechcraft Duke-Royal Turbine//Paul Craig

In models - <simulator>.txt -
Beechcraft Duke-Royal Turbine//Paul Craig|Beechcraft|Duke|Royal Turbine|SingleProp|0|

Does joinFS pre-process the models - <simulator>.txt, getting rid of comments prior to searching / injection?
If not it may never find it, maybe it will, but the simulator will never inject it because it's true name is -
Beechcraft Duke-Royal Turbine

This one is not really a big deal - using the models - <simulator>.txt it was found that I have about 20 (of 3000+ ) of such cases and with information in the text file it is easy enough to find the aircraft.cfg and correct them.

Just FYI if you are going to pursue this - the 2 most used, valid, comment separators in FS are the double slashes or a single semi-colon.

Cheers!
Roman
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Thanks, Roman, I'll check the comment issue.

I've just checked the previous problem with the quotation marks, however, I couldn't find an issue with it. I changed one of the aircraft in my hanger to use the same title as the one in your post. I was able to scan the models and use the model substitution in JoinFS without issue. What is the nature of the problem you are experiencing with that aircraft?

Peter
spokes2112

Post by spokes2112 »

My apologies Peter,

The example with the quotes may have worked, we never got that far to even try it. Just modded the aircraft.cfgs before hand.
It was my assumptions that all extended characters may not work.
The one that got us was this one from Jan Kees Blom (many of his are like this) for the Manfred Jahn C-47.

The hyphen in the title is actually a long hyphen (following C-47, 0x96? or 0x97), similar to what microsoft word automatically does at times.
In the aircraft list it would show up red and IIRC it couldn't be found as a substitution either. If it could be found as a substitution it would still come back red and not show up in sim. The simulator loads it fine as a user aircraft.

Code: Select all

[fltsim.xx]
Title = Douglas C-47 – RAAF FD-H
Sim = Douglas_DC3_V1.5
Model = C47_2
Panel =
Sound =
Texture = JK_RAAF_FD-H
kb_checklists = Douglas_DC3_check
kb_reference = Douglas_DC3_ref
atc_id = VH-CTN
ui_manufacturer = DOUGLAS 
ui_type = C-47 Skytrain 
ui_variation = RAAF FD-H
ui_typerole = Twin Engine Prop 
ui_createdby = Microsoft Corporation 
description =  C-47A-20-DL c/n 9592 42-23730/A65-12 in the colors it wore when flying with RAAF 345 Sqn in Tarakan during 1945. It later became VH-TAN with TAA and finished its flying career in PNG as VH-MAS in the late '60's. Repaint by Jan Kees Blom, based on the paintkit by Gman5250.
Roman
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Hi Roman,

a very belated fix I know, but I've found a way of handling the long hythen in the aircraft names, so this aircraft should now work in v2.2.1.

Peter