Unable to see public hub in list

Report problems with JoinFS.
vgbaron

Unable to see public hub in list

Post by vgbaron »

I have a public hub using version 3,14. Users outside my network can see and connect to the server.
I have two systems, one is a laptop running a VPN, the other is wired to ,my network. I hjave a dedicated server which is connected to the network.

on local laptop running VPN - I see and connect to hub. If I disable the VPN, I cannot see or connect.
on local PC wired to network - I cannot see or connect

Up until this week, I have always been able to connect.

Now here's the kicker, if I manually enter the ip address and port of the my server - I connect even though the server is not displayed in the hubs.

Do you have any explanation for this behavior? In testing I disabled all anti virus and firewalls and uninstalled and reinstalled JoinFS 2020. I tried with versions 3.14, 3.17, 3.26 and 3.28 - all had same results.
Fortunately the ip address workaround works but I'd like to resolve the issue.
Peter
Site Admin

Re: Unable to see public hub in list

Post by Peter »

If you are using more than one instance of JoinFS behind the same router then you will need to set up port forwarding. There are some details about this in the manual. Basically you need to set your hub machine to use a static IP address, change the port in the JoinFS settings and then set a port forward on the router for that port, UDP-only to the static IP address. It should work doing that on the one machine, if that fails try doing the same process for both machines.

The reason your VPN was working is because that will be using an external public IP address that isn't related to your router. Effectively it is somewhere else on the internet.

Peter