JoinFS and changing IP number

Report problems with JoinFS.
Derek317

JoinFS and changing IP number

Post by Derek317 »

Greeting,
I would have written earlier but wanted more symptoms to become apparent... I use JoinFS on 2 PC's, one is used as a server hub for JoinFS, the other as a day to day / games PC with JoinFS, both on the same network. Both softwares work fine until there is a change of IP number at my end (I have a dynamic IP address).

When there is a change of IP number JoinFS on the server hub shows offline and no-one can connect to it, not even me. The only way I can resolve this is to first reset the server hub PC and restart JoinFS, I then have to do the same with the normal PC. Only once I have reset both machines can others join my network, myself included. I think what is happening is that JoinFS is 'seeing' the change of IP number but that it does not match the IP number that the software was first started with.

In future I shall have to monitor the IP number for changes but unless I spot a number change this will be an ongoing problem.
Regards,
Derek Haselden, UK317.
Peter
Site Admin

Re: JoinFS and changing IP number

Post by Peter »

Hi Derek,

Do you mean that your router's public IP address is changing?

I think usually a router will keep an IP address unless it is restarted. Are you switching it off every night?

Peter
Derek317

Post by Derek317 »

Hello Peter,
Yes, the router's IP number (is that what you mean by address?) changes periodically, typically every 4 weeks, but sometimes one or twice a fortnight. This is something that is out of my control, it is done by my phone provider, and no, I never reset it, when the IP number is re-issued and changes the router resets itself. This typically results in about a minute or two of being offline but when the router has sorted itself out the IP number changes and everything else works normally. But it is as if Join FS has not 'seen' the updated IP number.
Derek H.
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

I should be able to fix this by rechecking the IP address regularly. Although it can't be too frequent because is uses the services of an external website which may have a limit, but I will give it a go.

Peter
Derek317

Post by Derek317 »

Hello again Peter,
Thanks for looking into this. I shall be making a point of regularly checking my IP number and going through the reset process. But if you are able to fix this glitch that would be great. (A while back, on an FSX only software suite, there was a similar problem which was resolved by instructing the software to cross report IP numbers and update.) I've checked back over records and a new IP is issued to me typically every 4 weeks.

Thanks again.
Derek H. UK317
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

- Tricky
Derek317

Post by Derek317 »

Hello 'Tricky'
Mmm, I had a peek, seems useful/interesting, thanks. At the moment I get alerts sent to me of IP changes and have learnt what I need to do to fix things for now. Also, I gather Peter has made an update that checks the IP number.
Derek317