JoinFS Installer Issues

Report problems with JoinFS.
canuck21a

JoinFS Installer Issues

Post by canuck21a »

I have been trying to assist a friend with a problem that he has run into of late. When he tries to install a new version the installer is very unhappy about things and refuses to play.

I tried to remove the app using Control Panel but it always seem to go back to the missing file issue in the Edge temp folder. That folder file was removed during a normal cleanup and as such the file that it is complaining about no longer exists.

Perhaps the resolution is to have the msi for the exact version that is trying to be removed located somewhere that the jnstaller is happy with; otherwise, we seem to be stuck.

Hoping for some help....
Steve_JoinFs_InstallError.jpg
Steve_JoinFs_InstallError.jpg (79.83 KiB) Viewed 13470 times
Peter
Site Admin

Re: JoinFS Installer Issues

Post by Peter »

A couple of thoughts. Does he have some extra antivirus software installed. Perhaps that is removing the installation file.

It seem to be installing directly from the browser's temporary downloaded file. Rather than opening the downloaded file straight away, how about manually moving JoinFS-FS2020.msi to a chosen folder on his drive, and then running it from there?

Peter
canuck21a

Post by canuck21a »

-Antivirus turned off
-UAC disabled
-New installer file was put in a new folder on a different drive with full permissions
Also tried to install in a non-MS folder (outside of Program Files; e.g C:\JoinFS).
Always the same result.
Is it possible, as I wondered earlier, that we need to get the original installer for the presently installed version and substitute that for the missing previous installer file? All that is there now ins the newest installer.
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

I would not have thought that you would need the original installer. Everything required to uninstall should already be on the machine.

Have you tried uninstalling all instances of JoinFS from the machine in the Windows control panel?

Peter
canuck21a

Post by canuck21a »

We shall try a that and perhaps use something like CCleaner if all else fails. The 3.1.6 version is still installed.
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

The 3.1.6 shouldn't interfere with the JoinFS-FS2020 one. They should be able to coexist on the system.

Peter
canuck21a

Post by canuck21a »

Finally got it resolved. I had to revert to using the Microsoft pgm fixer

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/top ... f927e1eb4d

That did find issues, resolve them and the removed the pgm from the system. I was then able to install the latest version without issues.
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

canuck21a wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:25 pm Finally got it resolved. I had to revert to using the Microsoft pgm fixer

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/top ... f927e1eb4d

That did find issues, resolve them and the removed the pgm from the system. I was then able to install the latest version without issues.
Great. Thanks for posting the link.

Peter