Vers. 3.1.7 causes x-plane to freeze?

Report problems with JoinFS.
HeliJoe

Vers. 3.1.7 causes x-plane to freeze?

Post by HeliJoe »

yesterday my XP-co-partner and me installed vers. 3.1.7 to make a fly with x-plane. XP started well but we could not see each other till we activated KI-ACF in XP (long time ago i think joinFS was proud to tell the community, that KI is NOT needed? ;) ).

But:
After a while flying, when were trying to connect again to a hub, XP freezed and did not get back to work.
Closing, restart and restart JoinFS had not effect...
Also loaded apps: flywithlua, little navmap

can you help?
Peter
Site Admin

Re: Vers. 3.1.7 causes x-plane to freeze?

Post by Peter »

I assume you mean AI aircraft. Yes, the new method I was using just wasn't up to it as there were too many issues with certain aircraft not showing correctly so I have had to go back to the old method which involves adding AI aircraft from the X-Plane Flight Configuration.

The reason XP freezes is because it is loading each of the session aircraft into X-Plane. Unfortunately X-Plane does not do this asynchronously which would avoid having freezes. The freeze should not last longer that about 20 seconds depending on how many aircraft JoinFS is injecting. How long did you wait?

There is another way to inject aircraft but requires a bit of work on the plugin. Once the JoinFS development has settled down again I shall take a look at that method, which shouldn't have any freezes in.

Peter
HeliJoe

Post by HeliJoe »

thank you for your reply (and your big good work with JoinFS!!!).
freezing did not stop, i waited about 5 mins.

But let me say, that this is an effect, I could not reproduce every time, sometimes (in another scenery) XP works properly.

Andreas
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Ah, ok. I suspect that the long freeze is causing it to crash. In my tests I had only one or two aircraft and it took about 10-15 seconds to load the aircraft during which time X-Plane pauses. The pauses are undesirable and I would imagine that loading a lot of aircraft during a flight will lead to a very long freeze and probably unstable behaviour. It's a shame that X-Plane doesn't load them in the background.

Does it eventually unfreeze when you join a small session?

Anyway, I will look at the alternative aircraft injection soon. Had to put it off for a while with the recent FS2020 issues.

Peter
HeliJoe

Post by HeliJoe »

thank you!
In the moment I cannot test with my flight partner. Testing alone did not reproduce the freezing.
When freezing appeared the first time, I had activated only 1 AI aircraft.

But thank you, that you are going to look for the second possibility of injecting acf to x-plane.
I will wait patiently ;-)
Jansky

Post by Jansky »

Same issue here. Since upgrading from 3.0.8 to 3.1.5, X-plane freezes when connecting to a server which hosts multiplayers within the
set range in JoinFS. Connecting to a server with multiplayers outside the set range lets X-plane connect with that server without any issues.
Currently v3.1.7 (x-plane variant) and its plugin is installed in the x-plane-resources-plugins-joinfs map.

I did a test to revert back to 3.0.8 and other, older versions but with no success. The freezing is a permanent issue now
and any multiplay attemt results in locking up X-plane. After 20-30 minutes i stopped x-plane via the taskmanager.

In none of the logs i am able to find what triggers it.
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Jansky wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:14 pm I did a test to revert back to 3.0.8 and other, older versions but with no success. The freezing is a permanent issue now
and any multiplay attemt results in locking up X-plane. After 20-30 minutes i stopped x-plane via the taskmanager.
When you went back to 3.0.8 did you install the X-Plane plugin again from the JoinFS settings?

Peter
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

And don't forget if you go back to 3.0.8 you need to run JoinFS from the desktop, not JoinFS-XPLANE.

Peter
Jansky

Post by Jansky »

Hello Peter,

Yes, when installing, always its corresponding plugin will be installed via the settings menu. And when uninstalling i manually remove
the plugins (win.xpl and lin.xpl?) from x-plane/resources/plugins/joinfs. After that a new install can be performed.
Mixing up of different JoinFS versions and plugins is avoided that way

When studying the registry, i noticed multiple entries of joinFS in it. Maybe some entries are obsolete and can be removed
however modifying windows registry manually is a bit too adventurous for me.

In x-plane's plugin manager i always disable Livetraffic and Xpilot(vatsim) before starting JoinFS. Meanwhile i have removed
several airplanes from the "AI-planes" folder to keep it as default as possible.

Yesterday the 3.1.7 was installed again with its plugin. Also JoinFS runs now with admin rights. But unfortunately no improvement.
The way X-plane stops (FPS counter stops abruptly) looks like data is written to an illegal address or strange value is injected in the sim;
normally x-plane picks up where it left after a while, but it just sits there, rock solid frozen.
After a restart of X-plane, for comparison, the Xpilot(vatsim) plugin is was tested with its CSL models. That runs stable. Also the Livetraffic plugin
shows the traffic in the sim correctly.

What puzzeles me is that when reverting back to an older version (which worked previously) and installing its plugin, one can expect the
sim to run again. But that doesn't happen. It also freezes as soon a connection is made and traffic is within the set radius.
Thinking about that, maybe something deeper in the sim code has been modified when installing 3.1.5? (just speculating here).

With friendly greetings, Wim
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

The only thing stored in the registry now is the Windows installer values. The JoinFS settings are now stored in user.config in the AppData\Local. I some of that registry data must be obsolete as you say.

You shouldn't need to run JoinFS as administrator. I've never had to do that to solve an issue with JoinFS.

Just wondering if it related to the aircraft that it is trying to inject. What happens if you fly with just C172s?

Yes, that doesn't make sense going back to 3.0.8. If you make sure the X-Plane JoinFS plugin folder is definitely empty and using the correct plugin I can't see why you would still get any issues. The only things that are changing are the version of JoinFS and the .xpl file.

I've just started working on including the XPMP2 code so hopefully that will fix whatever the issue is there.

Peter
Jansky

Post by Jansky »

Hello Peter,

Your question regarding the C172; yes: to rule out as much as possible out, i switched from aerobask's DA62 (building a nice cockpit for that one by the way) to Laminar's C172 -default, steam gauge variant- and again, no improvement.
The rest of the AI planes are mostly variants/different liveries of the B58 and a few others. When an incompatible aircraft is selected,
a warning is shown. That way i now only select planes which do not generate such a warning.
In JoinFS/airplanes i try to optimize the substitution list. However before the freezing behaviour of the sim i never encountered problems,
even with a variety of substituted planes, exept for some visible oddities sometimes, but it always worked.

It's good to read you're working on that new version. And am crossing fingers, hoping also the airplane registration and/or traffic names will become visible in Little Navmap, but i'm getting off-topic here.

Wim
Jansky

Post by Jansky »

Peter wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:08 am The only thing stored in the registry now is the Windows installer values. The JoinFS settings are now stored in user.config in the AppData\Local.

Hi Peter,

I've checked the directory c:\users\pcname\AppData\Local\JoinFS for the "user.config" file, but it isn't there.
9 Other files are, but the one you mentioned isn't there. Could that be of influece?

Wim
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Jansky wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:28 pm
Peter wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:08 am The only thing stored in the registry now is the Windows installer values. The JoinFS settings are now stored in user.config in the AppData\Local.

Hi Peter,

I've checked the directory c:\users\pcname\AppData\Local\JoinFS for the "user.config" file, but it isn't there.
9 Other files are, but the one you mentioned isn't there. Could that be of influece?

Wim
Sorry, it's under the publisher name. Now "AppData\Local\Peter_Memmott". It was "AppData\Local\Simfuture" before 3.1.7.

Peter
Jansky

Post by Jansky »

Thanks Peter,

Yesterday a thorough cleanup of various related and obsolete directories was done. Read in the other post v3.1.4 should work and installed it, along
with it's x-plane-plugin. And it works!
To be sure it would perfom stable a testflight was made in a session with multiple traffic within the set range and all kept working. Had a bit of a choppy
representation (traffic leapfrogged somewhat) but later it became clear windows updater was active at the same time.
Probably a bit too much for the ADSL connection here (haven't got fiber yet).

Wim
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Jansky wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:25 am Probably a bit too much for the ADSL connection here (haven't got fiber yet).
In JoinFS there is a "Low Bandwidth" option. It's a long time since that option originally went in, but it should still work and may be worth experimenting with.

Peter