FS2020 Airplane flies sideways with SU6

Report problems with JoinFS.
Ryan

Re: FS2020 Airplane flies sideways with SU6

Post by Ryan »

Has anything been worked on relating to this issue?

I help manage and administrate with a few groups that rely solely on JoinFS and we've been grounded for the past few weeks. Hoping something gets pushed out soon!!
TechnicAl

Post by TechnicAl »

Hi Peter,

for info I've just checked recording a flight after installing the latest sim update (SU7) sadly the heading/orientation issue is still present
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Situation update:

JoinFS uses the following SimConnect variables to update the aircraft orientation:

ROTATION VELOCITY BODY X
ROTATION VELOCITY BODY Y
ROTATION VELOCITY BODY Z

Unfortunately since SU6, these variables no longer have any effect on the simulator objects, so the orientation doesn't get updated. It might be possible to update the actual orientation directly, however this will cause the aircraft to constantly snap to the orientation which will look pretty ugly.

Hopefully Asobo will fix this at some point.

Peter
Speedpig

Post by Speedpig »

Have you revisited the question regarding JoinFS automatically switching NETWORK off and on periodically to try resolving this?
It's a great shame that a great program is remaining unusable at the present if it is just a question of initiating this seemingly simple, albeit temporary fix.
Worth a try, surely?
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Switching the network off and on will just remove and re-add the aircraft with SimConnect so its initial position will be set to the correct orientation. However, from that point the ROTATION VELOCITY BODY variables are not able to update it.

Could just set the orientation each time but it would no longer be as smooth and may snap quite a bit. Perhaps it wouldn't be that noticeable.

Peter
Speedpig

Post by Speedpig »

Perhaps give it a try Peter?
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I would also second the request to attempt the fix. I’m not sure the logistics or limitations, but in theory if the connection could rapidly update, it’d be a similar effect. However, I can imagine network limitations being the main factor stopping that.

Nonetheless, having a big reliance on JoinFS, I’d also greatly urge you to check out this issue. Hoping you stumble on a fix!
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

v3.1.3 has an attempted fix for this problem. Please keep an eye on how the orientation looks especially in sharp banks. There may be some snapping visible.

Peter
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Looking forward to it!!

Anything is a step up and I, among many others, are super thrilled to see a fix coming together. Looking forward to the release of 3.1.3!
Dieter

Post by Dieter »

I'm really looking forward to an upcoming new version of JoinS! Thanks for all your ongoing efforts, Peter !!!

Dieter
Mac@BathUK

Post by Mac@BathUK »

Posted at 19:30 Sat 27/11/21 (UK)
WELL DONE. PETER !!!
Installed the 3.1.3 update and ALL on-line (BFSG) club fliers are now back to landing/flying .....with the sharp/pointy bit facing forwards!!!
Brilliant work, buddy......your efforts and dedication are very much appreciated - at least by the serious fliers!
I'm sure that Asobo will find (yet another) way to delight X-Boxers.....and frustrate the rest of us long-standing PC fraternity!!
Thanks again!
Barry
I truly CAN be a "Happy-Chappy"...
But only when my :oops: * :mrgreen: * :evil: * :!: :!: 'Puter behaves itself!!
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Great, that's a relief. Given that the orientation changes relatively slowly it may well appear just as smooth as the previous method. Anyway, as you say, let's hope there are no more surprises in future updates.

Peter
Speedpig

Post by Speedpig »

Thank you Peter.
I haven't yet had a chance to check it out online, but the recorder function appears to almost work perfectly. Out of 6 hawks, 5 flew really well but one was standing on 1 wing and it's tail when taxi-ing in.
Don't mean to be fussy, but can you explain why spitfires and Junkers 52 appear as Caravans?
I haven't had chance to go through my entire hangar yet, but will have a look. (no airliners tried yet)
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Speedpig wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:05 pm Thank you Peter.
I haven't yet had a chance to check it out online, but the recorder function appears to almost work perfectly. Out of 6 hawks, 5 flew really well but one was standing on 1 wing and it's tail when taxi-ing in.
Don't mean to be fussy, but can you explain why spitfires and Junkers 52 appear as Caravans?
I haven't had chance to go through my entire hangar yet, but will have a look. (no airliners tried yet)
Looks like there is still an anomaly with the orientation somewhere. Should be able to sort it if I can repeat it.

Re: Caravans. Have you tries substituting the aircraft in the aircraft window. If you don't own those exact models in your simulator you can change them for something appropriate.

Peter
Speedpig

Post by Speedpig »

Well, thank you very much for your efforts Peter.
I host ATC nights with MyAir on Tuesdays and Thursdays. We have just finished a session with some pilots in P3D, but the majority in MSFS.
Guess what? The issue has now gone to P3D. I was using P3D as it had always been stable and orienting correctly. Every aircraft I saw, no matter which sim the pilot was using was either backwards, sideways or some weird orientation.
Those in MSFS reported seeing normal orientation mostly.
I changed to MSFS for the arrival and most aircraft were ok, but pilots using P3D appeared in weird orientation. I could rectify this by clicking "network" off and on.
When using airliners in recorder, they appear in weird orientation .
Have you had any conversation with MS per chance?
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

That's even stranger that using the different variables should be different between the sims. They should behave in exactly the same way. That's the whole point of having a common interface. Anyway, worst case scenario I could just do each method separately depending on which flight simulator you are connected to.

No, I haven't contacted MS. Feel free if you wish to do so, the relevant variables and details are in this thread.

Peter
Dieter

Post by Dieter »

Peter, thanks for your permanent work on your software!

Here is my report using your latest JoinFS version 3.1.3 in MSFS/SU7:
This Monday my flightsimmer group did a multiplayer flight and we experienced following problems, see attached links for screenshots:
https://abload.de/img/screen1jjjri.jpg
https://abload.de/img/screen2gpjgx.jpg
I'm afraid the problem of airplanes flying sideways still exists.
It could be solved just for a short moment by clicking "ignore" but as soon as the aircrafts begin to move or to fly again the problem comes back.

Regards
Dieter
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Version 3.1.4 contains a fix for P3D/FSX which should be back to normal. FS2020 aircraft should now be in the correct orientation as well.

However, while investigating this problem it has shed light on another issue that affects the aircraft orientation. Looks like it has been a little bit wrong since I first wrote it :oops: . I will attempt to fix that as it should improve aerobatic flight in particular.

Peter
canuck21a

Post by canuck21a »

Greetings Peter,
I was awaiting 3.1.4 and you have kindly made it available.
Today I ran a rather full test with my setup; 1 hub PC, P3Dv5.3 PC, FSX-SE PC, MSFS PC.
All aircraft appeared as positioned at start.
Re-orienting one aircraft appeared correctly on all running sims.

I then re-ran the test with the hub and two MSFS (Steam and Store) running. The aircraft did orient correctly during slew on both sims and they looked correctly aligned when using Little Navmap.
The only thing that I noticed was the "bunny-hop" that the remote aircraft seems to do during taxi but that may be what it has done all along.
I also noted that sometimes an aircraft when presented is jumpy but that seems to be resolved by selecting another model?

The acid test will be next weekend with a group flight.

Looking forward to your next improvements.

All the best,
Darryl
Dieter

Post by Dieter »

Yesterday evening my group did another multiplayer flight with MSFS (Store version) including JoinFS 3.1.4 (and PlanG/LNM).
All aircrafts were displayed correctly in the correct orientation and position on the ground and in the air.
Thank you, Peter !!!

Regards
Dieter