X-Plane to P3D5 elevation issues

Report problems with JoinFS.
captainmoose

X-Plane to P3D5 elevation issues

Post by captainmoose »

Hi Peter;

We've been encountering an elevation issue that wasn't there in the past. I read all posts regarding this and implemented suggested fixes with no luck. Here is some background:

- The same issue is encountered in both the C172 and BE58
- Scanning and model matching are working fine
- Server hosting the session, instructor, and student all three running JoinFS 2.2.6 and the SimConnect version from https://joinfs.net/SimConnect.msi
- Tested both Elevation Correction ON/OFF with unsatisfactory results (see screenshots here: https://imgur.com/a/IO97Rz8)
- Weather: X-Plane/Clear and P3D5/Clear Skies (no weather engine enabled)
- Changing the pressure setting in both aircraft didn't make a difference
- No VA client connected vPilot, xPilot, nor IVAO
- There's a (D) extension on the other aircraft submodel in the Aircraft list, I don't know if this is of any relevance!

This was also encountered in MSFS <=> FSX sessions, not sure if the problem is related.

As usual, your help is greatly appreciated.

Mustafa
Peter
Site Admin

Re: X-Plane to P3D5 elevation issues

Post by Peter »

Hi Mustafa,

have you tried adjusting the height? Select the aircraft in the aircraft list, right-click and choose adjust height. You can then place the aircraft on the ground. It will remember this setting from then on.

The '(D)' means that a default substitution was made because you haven't set one manually.

Peter
captainmoose

Post by captainmoose »

Thanks for the quick response,
I just did and I got the height within 2feet showing in the Aircraft list Alt column but no change in X-Plane, the C172 still shows around 5meters hovering over the runway (EC OFF) or beneath the ground (EC ON). Also, I tried adjusting the height on both sides, separately; and restarted JoinFS on both sides after each change, but no use.

Mustafa
captainmoose

Post by captainmoose »

Hi Peter;
Is there anything else I can try out? Still no luck with Adjusting Height with both Elevation Correction ON and OFF. What am I miss? https://imgur.com/a/hnbJptB

Thanks,
Mustafa
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

captainmoose wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:02 am Hi Peter;
Is there anything else I can try out? Still no luck with Adjusting Height with both Elevation Correction ON and OFF. What am I miss? https://imgur.com/a/hnbJptB

Thanks,
Mustafa
So what happens when you adjust the height? You should see the aircraft move downwards as you click the buttons. Does it move at all?

Peter
captainmoose

Post by captainmoose »

Nothing happens, the only thing that changes is the elevation value in the Altitude column in the Aircraft list but the aircraft itself doesn't move. I tried switching Elevation Correction On and Off, restarting JoinFS, restarting both simulators on both machines, and running JoinFS as an administrator for good measure but nothing happens.
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Well something is not right there because you should see the aircraft position change when you adjust the height.

So just to check, you are opening the aircraft window, selecting the other aircraft so that it is highlighted blue. First, just try right clicking, and substituting the aircraft temporarily just so you can see that you are changing the correct aircraft. If it changed correctly, substitute it back or use the "Original" button on the substitute window. Then right-click and select Adjust Height. Confirm that the model name is correct. Then when you click the "+50cm" button you should see the aircraft move upwards.

Does that work?

Peter
captainmoose

Post by captainmoose »

I think I have a clue, it all has to do with Shared Cockpit. The Adjust Height function works fine and I can adjust the other aircraft's height to whatever I need, but once I Enter Cockpit, it jumps up in the air like no height adjustment was applied. I tried to close JoinFS and start it again and connect to the network as it will remember the height adjustment, and it did, but the moment I enter the cockpit it jumps back to the original height. And the other aircraft Distance cell background turns Orange from Green.
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

captainmoose wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 10:36 am I think I have a clue, it all has to do with Shared Cockpit. The Adjust Height function works fine and I can adjust the other aircraft's height to whatever I need, but once I Enter Cockpit, it jumps up in the air like no height adjustment was applied. I tried to close JoinFS and start it again and connect to the network as it will remember the height adjustment, and it did, but the moment I enter the cockpit it jumps back to the original height. And the other aircraft Distance cell background turns Orange from Green.
Ah, ok, I see now. I thought it was working even in shared cockpit, but I have probably overlooked something or it is particular to X-Plane. I should be able to fix it.

Peter