Uncertain times for JoinFS

Updates and announcements.
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Hi all,

========
EDIT 11th Jan 2021: Good news. The website's Google ads now appear to be working again. 8-)
========

========
EDIT 15th Dec 2020: Although the ads revenue does now seem to have dried up, which is somewhat annoying, I have decided to continue with development thanks to the new JoinFS patrons and generous donations received. Plus I think I would very much regret not doing so. Onwards and upwards. 8-)
========

just when development was picking up again, Google decided to kill all the ad revenue on the JoinFS website, so I'm afraid things are now looking a bit uncertain. I will still continue to work on the current issues, including the failed insertion (red aircraft) bug, the new address system, model masquerading and key/button shortcuts. Beyond that, it's difficult to say.

There's a small chance that Google will review the ad issue at some point, you never know.

Peter
Osy251

Post by Osy251 »

Hi Peter,

I am very sorry about Google's decision and the possible consequences.
If we can be of help in anyway whatsoever, please let me know and will see what we can do.

Kindest regards,

Osy
ATC Roo

Re: Uncertain times for JoinFS

Post by ATC Roo »

I had the same a few years ago Peter. :roll:

For everybody else...
There are donate links on the JoinFS map if anybody would like to say thank you to Peter for his work.

I'm sure he'd appreciate anything that would help his overheads and justifys him sitting in front of his PC for hours, in order to make it easy for others to fly together.
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Thanks, guys. Yeah, it's a real pain. I'll have to think on it for a few weeks. It will likely mean a reduction in the amount of development. Part of the problem is that it's not easy to just tinker with a piece of software. It's much easier to do regular releases and keep the ball rolling. I could possibly come back to it every couple of months and get a few things done each time. That's better than nothing I suppose.

Peter
RotorRick

Post by RotorRick »

Peter,
If you already have a Google Adsense account, simply create a Blog (blogger or similar) link to the forum messages to announce and do your changelogs and other information on that. it will still generate ad revenue.

Rick
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

RotorRick wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:24 pm Peter,
If you already have a Google Adsense account, simply create a Blog (blogger or similar) link to the forum messages to announce and do your changelogs and other information on that. it will still generate ad revenue.

Rick
Thanks, Rick. That sounds interesting. I’ll look into that tomorrow.

And I think I will definitely take you up on your offer of Web hosting when this one runs out in about 12 months. That will actually make quite a difference now.

Peter
RotorRick

Post by RotorRick »

No problem at all Peter :)

Rick
Seatime

Post by Seatime »

Peter,
I have sent some funds.
Seatime, 91st
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Seatime wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:10 pm Peter,
I have sent some funds.
Seatime, 91st
Thank you very much.

And with the web hosting now sorted for next year, things ain't looking so bad.

Thanks all,
Peter
twotonemurphy

Post by twotonemurphy »

Hi Peter,

I am just new here. I love the product. I have been looking for somthing like this for some time now. I livestream over on YouTube and we usually get 50-80 other live pilots with us for the group flight.

If there is anything I can do to help things let me know. I am happy to help with publicity and would be happy to share it with my community.

www.youtube.com/c/twotonemurphy
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

twotonemurphy wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:19 pm Hi Peter,

I am just new here. I love the product. I have been looking for somthing like this for some time now. I livestream over on YouTube and we usually get 50-80 other live pilots with us for the group flight.

If there is anything I can do to help things let me know. I am happy to help with publicity and would be happy to share it with my community.

www.youtube.com/c/twotonemurphy
Hello,

Thanks for your kind comments. I like the look of your channel, FS2020 is really taking things to the next level. 8-)

Sure, anything you could do in the future to promote JoinFS will be fantastic. I basically do zero marketing myself, it's all word of mouth, so the more mouths the better. Perhaps give it a couple of weeks as I'm just making some slightly critical changes at the moment after a long hiatus, but things should be stable pretty soon.

Thanks,
Peter
BF Bullpup

Post by BF Bullpup »

Hi I just saw this. I don't think people would see it in the SUPPORT forums. If they are using it just fine they wouldn't know that overhead has been higher than revenue at the moment, you know? Heck, I only found out about this because I came here to report a bug. Perhaps a "please donate to help cover costs and keep this going" message and not just "Become a Patron" would be more effective? I know revenues are better now but for the future.

That said, I have been using this for years for free. I had a bad experience with another service that screwed up my FSX installation. In addition the rules and regulations of popular flying networks do not interest me at all. So JoinFS has been PERFECT for me! It just needs more users! Now that I am aware the need to cover expenses, I am happy to set a reminder to myself to donate a small amount monthly to cover the cost for JoinFS and also Roo's map.

I occasionally send news heads-up to FSElite. Would you object if I tell them when the next update comes? It is how I find out about many add-ons and services even though I still use plain ol' FSX. I may consider Twitching my flights and adding "using JoinFS" somewhere in the title. I would love to see more people using this and compatibility with the new MSFS will only help.
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

BF Bullpup wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:26 pm Hi I just saw this. I don't think people would see it in the SUPPORT forums. If they are using it just fine they wouldn't know that overhead has been higher than revenue at the moment, you know? Heck, I only found out about this because I came here to report a bug. Perhaps a "please donate to help cover costs and keep this going" message and not just "Become a Patron" would be more effective? I know revenues are better now but for the future.

That said, I have been using this for years for free. I had a bad experience with another service that screwed up my FSX installation. In addition the rules and regulations of popular flying networks do not interest me at all. So JoinFS has been PERFECT for me! It just needs more users! Now that I am aware the need to cover expenses, I am happy to set a reminder to myself to donate a small amount monthly to cover the cost for JoinFS and also Roo's map.

I occasionally send news heads-up to FSElite. Would you object if I tell them when the next update comes? It is how I find out about many add-ons and services even though I still use plain ol' FSX. I may consider Twitching my flights and adding "using JoinFS" somewhere in the title. I would love to see more people using this and compatibility with the new MSFS will only help.
Hi, thanks very much. Yes, if you are able to mention JoinFS whenever and wherever you can then it will definitely help to grow the product, which can only be a good thing for everyone.

In fact, just in the last couple of days the Google ads, which is what this topic was originally about, have been reactivated. I think their algorithms are quite sensitive so I'm basically just going to leave them as they are and hopefully they will stay on, because they do make quite a difference.

Peter
BF Bullpup

Post by BF Bullpup »

Sounds like a plan Peter. You have my bug report, I'll wait for a fix before I send FSElite a tip. No problem!
AllFlightSim

Post by AllFlightSim »

Hi Peter, hope you're well. I'm the treasurer at the Gatwick Flight Simulation Group and we would like to donate to help you out or we may consider donating monthly...I just need to consult our membership first. We'll be in touch soon. Regards Jason
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Thanks, Jason. That is very kind of you. It's all appreciated.

Peter
AllFlightSim

Post by AllFlightSim »

Hi Peter, do you haver an email I can contact you on?

Regards Jason (Gatwick Flight Simulation Group)
AllFlightSim

Post by AllFlightSim »

..or you can contact our group here if you prefer: https://www.gfsg.co.uk/contact.aspx?SubMenuItem=contact
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

AllFlightSim wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:41 pm Hi Peter, do you haver an email I can contact you on?

Regards Jason (Gatwick Flight Simulation Group)
Hi Jason,

Sure. peter @ pmem.uk