SIMCOM X Voice application

Suggestions, ideas and general discussion about JoinFS.
ATC Roo

Re: SIMCOM X Voice application

Post by ATC Roo »

Thanks Tony.

It's something I'll double check in a version I'm about to release (once I get some time to myself).

I think I know what this is already, so I'll have a double check.

I'm assuming it works ok with SCX mode ticked?
kc10b747fe

Post by kc10b747fe »

Roo,

Thanks for the quick response,

What we have found so far is, in join or group server, once a frequency has been used, and then select a different frequency,
the previous frequency is no longer able to be retuned. (ie 123.450 - 118.750 ok, but going from say 124.400 - 118.750
frequency 118.750 will not retune), or any other frequency that had been successfully tune since the system was started.

In SCX Mode, both of our status lights show green, and both show tuned to the same freq, but we are unable to communicate.
Subsequently selecting another frequency provides same result, no contact. As with the other modes, we are not able to see
ourselves or each other in the on frequency list.

In SCX mode with simulator and auto com switch unchecked, call signs appeared on frequency list intermittently. When
both users were showing in the on frequency list, operation was normal, however when switching to another frequency, there was a delay
and then even though both showed status green and on the same frequency, neither user was in the call sign list and communication was
not possible.

Extra note, My system is running Win7, and my flying partner is Win 10.

Tony J
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

V2.1.0.0 now available.

It's changed a lot!

A quick overview...
The main chage is SimCom X now has both Com radios available to use.
If COM1 is selected you transmit and receive on Com 1.
If COM2 is selected you transmit and receive on Com 2.
If COM1 and BOTH is selected then you transmit on COM1 but will hear comms from both COM1 and COM2.
If COM2 and BOTH is selected then you transmit on COM2 but will hear comms from both COM1 and COM2.

You can not transmit on both COM1 and COM2 at the same time.
If you are acting as ATC always use COM1 for your frequency and use COM2 to listen to others.

If you are connected to a sim then your squawk will show in the squawk box.

Always use COM1 as your main BOX (both ATC and Pilots), COM2 should only really be used for listening in or tuning to frequencies you know are already hosted.
If you tune to a freq with COM2 that doesn't exist, you will become the host of that frequency but nobody will join you.

As always there will be some niggles, so let me know.
TexxasAl

Post by TexxasAl »

Thanks for the update, sir.

Looking forward to using this quite extensively. I hate TS3 running when I'm using a flight simulator. It's like a "cheat".

regards
Al :mrgreen:
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

Thanks Al.

Let me know if it's working correctly for you.

I'll be honest I didn't have much time to test the voice distance feature.

Basically if an aircraft is 100nm from you on the ground they should be quiet.
If an aircraft is 100nm away but at altitude they should still be quiet, but louder than the aircraft on the ground.

The voice quality adjusts based on distance and altitude.

Anything within 40nm of you should be normal volume.
Anything over 200nm from you wont be heard.

This allows for an aircraft 150nm away from ATC ( or another aircraft), to relay a message to another station 250nm away from ATC etc...

If that makes sense?
kc10b747fe

Post by kc10b747fe »

Roo,

I and my flying partner were finally able to do some extensive testing on the latest version with good success. We tried both SCX mode and Host and Join group server modes. Only issue we found was the auto com switch and FSX check boxes does not save after exiting or when switching between modes. Also COM 2 standby radio does not show a frequency in the app control panel, but does swap correctly between active and standby. Otherwise looks pretty solid and stable.

Great app.

Tony J
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

Thanks Tony.
The feedback is very much appreciated.

The AutoSwitch, FSX and FSUIPC tick boxes not saving is intentional.
I found in earlier versions that if they remained selected with no sim running, it would cause Simcom X to slow down and eventually become unresponsive as it continually tried to connect to a sim.

I may look into it again in the future.

All the frequencies should always display in Simcom X when connected to a sim.
Even when an aircraft only seems to have one radio (Trike ultralight for example) there is still a Com2 and Com2 standby, it's just not visible to be tuned.

I'll need to investigate it a bit further, but if it still works but just doesnt display Its at the bottom of my list at the moment.

I wonder if anybody has had any success with the distance feature?
It initially worked great when I wrote it based on distance only.
I've now included Altitude and haven't been able to test it fully.

If somebody has the time to test that, that'll be great.

Finally for all the budding ATC...
If you select the ATC tickbox on the config screen and you have a valid callsign (ICAO_POS eg: KLAX_APP) the JoinFS map will show a tower symbol in green letting pilots know you're active.
If the symbol is clicked, it will display your COM1 frequency and latest METAR.
You will also display to anybody using Simcom X so they know you are available.

I added this as I know there are ATC looking for Pilots and Pilots looking for ATC.

A pilot would need the JoinFS Global tickbox ticked (unless in the same session as ATC) to be seen on radar.

ATC would need to select the Global Tickbox in JoinFS and either use the default radar, VRC or EuroScope as detailed in other posts on the forum.

I'm off to concentrate on other programs on my list so hope the above helps.
kc10b747fe

Post by kc10b747fe »

Roo,

Thanks for the response.
ATC Roo wrote:The AutoSwitch, FSX and FSUIPC tick boxes not saving is intentional.
I found in earlier versions that if they remained selected with no sim running, it would cause Simcom X to slow down and eventually become unresponsive as it continually tried to connect to a sim.
Understand and not a problem.
ATC Roo wrote:All the frequencies should always display in Simcom X when connected to a sim.
Even when an aircraft only seems to have one radio (Trike ultralight for example) there is still a Com2 and Com2 standby, it's just not visible to be tuned.
I believe this is an indication problem only. On the previous version, standby COM 2 displayed a frequency, but did not indicate swapped when selected to active. (although in reality it actually swapped). On the current version, standby COM 2 does not display a frequency, but the app does swap to the correct frequency when selected active. (See pic)
Screenshot 2019-12-07 14.03.03.jpg
Screenshot 2019-12-07 14.03.03.jpg (147.32 KiB) Viewed 12841 times
ATC Roo wrote:I wonder if anybody has had any success with the distance feature?
It initially worked great when I wrote it based on distance only.
I've now included Altitude and haven't been able to test it fully.
I'll try and test this function out on Monday with my flying partner. We usually fly formation, so we don't use that particular feature, but happy to give you some feedback. I'll let you know what we find out in a couple of days.

Thanks for the support and a great app.

Tony J
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

I believe this is an indication problem only. On the previous version, standby COM 2 displayed a frequency, but did not indicate swapped when selected to active. (although in reality it actually swapped). On the current version, standby COM 2 does not display a frequency, but the app does swap to the correct frequency when selected active.
It's annoying me already, but I dont know when I'll get the chance to correct it.
It will be in the next update though.

Curious....
If you switch Com 2 again (from standby to active), does the Com2 standby correct itself?
kc10b747fe

Post by kc10b747fe »

ATC Roo wrote:Curious....
If you switch Com 2 again (from standby to active), does the Com2 standby correct itself?
As far as the digits showing up in standby COM2, no it does not correct itself. However I know it sees the frequency, because when switching between standby and active, the correct frequency shows in the active window.

A question about the voice distance feature. Does this only work in SCX mode or across all modes? We tried some quick testing today, and my flying partner was hosting. We both took off from the same airport in opposite directions. Crossing around the 50 NM point he said he noticed my voice getting quieter, however for me his voice seemed to not to change. Do you have a document that gives the parameters and good instructions on what to look for? We'll continue doing testing this week and give you an update.

Tony J
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

Last update before Christmas (Merry Christmas to everybody).

I found an issue that would stop people connecting to the SCX network, so fixed it.
Fixed the issue that Tony found with the standby display, it should now update as soon as it's changed in the sim.

And I downloaded the Demo of Xplane 11 to give that a whirl.
SimCom X does work with Xplane 11 by using XPUIPC from Pete Dowsons site.
The only thing it can't do is listen to both Com 1 and Com 2 whilst COM 2 is the Transmit box.
It will listen to both Com 1 and Com 2 whilst Com 1 is the Transmit box.

Else everything else should be fully working.

In response to the distance parameters Tony, they are as follows...

Anything 40nm or less from you will be heard as normal.
Anything 200nm or greater from you will not be heard.

Inbetween those distances the volume is decreased by one as below...

Distance in Nm..

Then we factor in the stations altitude and increase the volume by one each time....
Altitude in feet....

Example:

Everybody starts off with a volume of 20 Decibels.

You will (should) hear...
An aircraft 30nm from you and at ground level @20db (its within 40nm of you).
An aircraft 65nm from you at ground level @15db (we lose 1 db for each range, its gone through 45, 50, 55, 60 and 65).
An aircraft 65nm from you at an altitude of 8000ft @20db (the same as the line above, but we now re add 1db for each altitude range. So 15db + 1000, 2000, 4000,6000 and 8000).

So when testing if you are both on the ground and 190nm away from each other you will be very quiet, slew up to FL200 still 190nm away and you will be louder.

I hope that makes sense?
kc10b747fe

Post by kc10b747fe »

Thanks for the explanation. We'll give it test and report back. Merry Christmas to you and yours, and thanks for a great product.

Tony J
rkantos

Post by rkantos »

Would it be possible to add an ATIS mode to the application? Basically that would allow transmitting without interruption. Even better would of course be, if one could directly connect the ATIS and even normal Voice comms from EuroScope to Simcom X. Currently the "We can't get a word in edgeways" prohibits transmitting for more than 30s. I have cirumvented it with AHK by using a "Mail" virtual key to keep the PTT pressed for 29s and repeat.

Maybe there could be a setting for the user side, which would still allow blocking constantly transmitting people? Though I think the banlist is already enough if someone was to abuse it.
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

rkantos wrote:Would it be possible to add an ATIS mode to the application? Basically that would allow transmitting without interruption. Even better would of course be, if one could directly connect the ATIS and even normal Voice comms from EuroScope to Simcom X. Currently the "We can't get a word in edgeways" prohibits transmitting for more than 30s. I have cirumvented it with AHK by using a "Mail" virtual key to keep the PTT pressed for 29s and repeat.

Maybe there could be a setting for the user side, which would still allow blocking constantly transmitting people? Though I think the banlist is already enough if someone was to abuse it.
The current Simcom X is the pilot client.

I'm working on a Simcom X VCCS for Controllers.
I'll look into adding an ATIS function, but I want to primarily be able to voice(Phone) call other controllers whilst also being able to talk to pilots on the Radio.
kc10b747fe

Post by kc10b747fe »

Hey Roo,

When starting SIMCOM now I've been getting this update message even though the current version is installed. If I accept it the update, it downloads and installs, but come up with the same message. I've done a complete uninstall and did a registry clean of any simcom additions but it keeps reappearing. Any ideas?

Thanks

Tony J
Attachments
Simcom.jpg
Simcom.jpg (23.14 KiB) Viewed 10955 times
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

kc10b747fe wrote:Hey Roo,

When starting SIMCOM now I've been getting this update message even though the current version is installed. If I accept it the update, it downloads and installs, but come up with the same message. I've done a complete uninstall and did a registry clean of any simcom additions but it keeps reappearing. Any ideas?

Thanks

Tony J
Hi Tony,

Apologies it's my fault.
Ignore it for now, whilst it says the installed version and current version are the same.

I've written another program recently called Quick start, that looks in the same place as SimCom X for updates.

I'll get it corrected shortly and I'll be releasing an update to SimCom X soon.

Roo
kc10b747fe

Post by kc10b747fe »

Roo,

Thanks for the info.

Tony J
edakridge

Post by edakridge »

Roo, overall the app is working fantastic. But one question/request: Is there a way to make it retain/remember the server address from one session to the next? Our group uses it's own private server and each time that you start Simcom the server box is empty.
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

It's funny you should say that.

I'm tidying a few things up on it at the moment, ready for the ATC client and I also thought of that.

It will be in the next update.

Although finding the time to do it at the minute is hard.
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

New version out.
edakridge wrote:Roo, overall the app is working fantastic. But one question/request: Is there a way to make it retain/remember the server address from one session to the next? Our group uses it's own private server and each time that you start Simcom the server box is empty.
Fixed that.

The main thing that people may (or may not) notice is that all frequencies will now tune to the nearest 25khz frequency.
I did this as aircraft now use 8.33khz frequencies in real life and as such so does the new Microsoft Flight Simulator.
If you've no idea what I'm talking about or want to know more, google 8.33khz or start a new thread on these forums and I'll explain.

But basically users of the newer sims wouldn't be able to autotune to the same frequencies as users of the older sims like FSX.

So if your mate is on 120.050 in FSX and you cant tune to that frequency in you brand new FSXX, tune as close as you can too it (120.055 for example) and you'll end up speaking to each other.