ATC with JOINFS

Suggestions, ideas and general discussion about JoinFS.
pilotdeviation

Re: ATC with JOINFS

Post by pilotdeviation »

I'm facing the same issue, getting the "Error getting Whazzup positions" when trying to use Euroscope with JoinFS and ESJFS.

Edit:
As a little bit of added detail, both euroscope.txt and whazzup.txt are present in %appdata%\Local\joinFS and being actively refreshed when connected via joinFS to e.g. the global network.
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

Vulkaistos wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:08 pm Thanks for the quick suggestions!

I enabled the debug mode and ran the whole thing again.

The debug window just alternatingly displays "Added METAR" and then "Error getting Whazzup positions" which I assume is the key error here.
I have the whazupp.txt enabled in the JoinFS settings and checked for its existence in the appdata folder, it is there and its being written to.

Does that give you any idea on how to fix it?
Yup that definitely sounds like the culprit

The bad news is after just moving house, my ISP has failed to enable a connection to my new home.

So I'm not able to fire everything up at the moment to see why there's an error.

I will fix it, but I'm afraid you'll have to bere with me for (hopefully) a few more days.
Vulkaistos

Post by Vulkaistos »

ATC Roo wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:23 pm
Vulkaistos wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:08 pm Thanks for the quick suggestions!

I enabled the debug mode and ran the whole thing again.

The debug window just alternatingly displays "Added METAR" and then "Error getting Whazzup positions" which I assume is the key error here.
I have the whazupp.txt enabled in the JoinFS settings and checked for its existence in the appdata folder, it is there and its being written to.

Does that give you any idea on how to fix it?
Yup that definitely sounds like the culprit

The bad news is after just moving house, my ISP has failed to enable a connection to my new home.

So I'm not able to fire everything up at the moment to see why there's an error.

I will fix it, but I'm afraid you'll have to bere with me for (hopefully) a few more days.
Thanks for the quick heads-up! I'll just wait until you fix it. No worries!
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

I managed to get a mobile signal/mobile internet.

So I've uploaded a fix.
It looks like the METAR feature is having issues also.

But give me a few days for that fix.
Vulkaistos

Post by Vulkaistos »

ATC Roo wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:05 am I managed to get a mobile signal/mobile internet.

So I've uploaded a fix.
It looks like the METAR feature is having issues also.

But give me a few days for that fix.
Perfect! Just tested the new release and traffic is now displayed as expected. :)
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

I've just corrected the METAR issue and updated it to look at the new JoinFS Whazzup file location too.

So all updated and working again.
pilotdeviation

Post by pilotdeviation »

Thanks alot!
Djeez2

Post by Djeez2 »

I am using ESJFS but I am confused if I should check the "Euroscope" checkbox or the "Whazzup" checkbox in JoinFS.

Anyway, I can see my own aircraft in Euroscope, but not the flightplan that I filed in JoinFS so something is not correct.

Is there a way to figure out what is wrong?

Thanks!

Djeez2.
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

You should check the Whazzup in JoinFS as ESJFS reads the Whazzup to show the info on radar.

You should see if your flight plan is in the Whazzup file.
The Whazzup file is in your My Documents folder.
Djeez2

Post by Djeez2 »

Thanks for the reply.

The more I try, the less I understand :?

I do see the Whazzup file with what seems to be correct information.

If I disable ATC mode in JoinFS, my plane does not show up in Euroscope, although it is listed in the whazzup file.

Code: Select all

!CLIENTS
PHEVG:::PILOT:112.4.:51.4531699195504:5.37955239415169:77:0:/C172::EHEH::EHSE:JoinFS:::706::::VFR:::::::::VWAARD::::::::036:::
If I enable ATC mode in JoinFS, my plane does show up, but without the flight plan (NOFP)

Code: Select all

!CLIENTS
EHEH_TWR:VBV814:VBV814:ATC:132.80:51.450138092041:5.37452793121338:0:0::::::::::4:276:::::::::::::::::::::::::::
PHEVG:::PILOT:112.4.:51.4531699195504:5.37955239415169:77:0:/C172::EHEH::EHSE:JoinFS:::706::::VFR:::::::::VWAARD::::::::036:::
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

It's been a while since I've been able to join in, so bear with me.
ATC mode in JoinFS was added at the start of JoinFS to show aircraft on the default FSX radar, when it was used in Free flight mode. So ignore that feature if using Euroscope.

All you need selected in JoinFS is the Whazzup.
If you want to see users using the Global option, tick Global Whazzup too.

ESJFS can show data from the JoinFS Whazzup or directly from your SIM.

In ESJFS have you tried ticking either the Simconnect option or UIPC option and selecting show user aircraft?

Do you see anybody else on Euroscope?
kaleid

Post by kaleid »

Hi,

I noticed when using ESJFS and EuroScope, you cannot assign a SID/STAR to anyone.

I’m not sure if it’s a JoinFS thing or a ESJFS thing but I think it should just act like an FSD server?

Squawk codes don’t register either.

Regards,
Brady
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

Hi Brady.
ESJFS won't act like an FSD server, as it's not meant too.

It simply gains information (from JFS or a sim) and sends it to Euroscope to display.

With the exception of asking for a METAR, ESJFS doesn't listen to anything Euroscope sends out.

In this respect, it acts like a real world radar display.
You ask on the RT for an aircraft to squawk a code, the squawk code is displayed. The aircraft has been identified.
You ask the aircraft to climb, descend, turn left/right and Euroscope shows this. Job done?

When you say assign a SID/STAR, what are your intentions. ie what would you like to happen on the display?
What do you mean by squawk codes don't register?
Are they not displayed correctly?
kaleid

Post by kaleid »

Hi Roo, thanks for the reply.

I mainly control my friends in Australia, and I've gotten the client we use in Australia to work by blocking connections to VATSIM and filtering the request for the servers to my own web server which returns only localhost.

The client is called vatSys and receives data in the same way Euroscope does. Except, when I try to assign the aircraft a SID/STAR for my personal reference (see https://imgur.com/a/S7dzTqr), I get a general error which I think is related to the fact I cannot edit an aircraft's flight plan. I thought we would be able to edit flight plans locally and not on the server itself.

Another thing with the squawk, JoinFS must not be receiving the right squawk thru SimConnect because when an aircraft squawks the right code, I still cannot identify them properly and only have what looks to be ADS-B coverage.

Please take a look at how we can get vatSys to work. It has no encryption so It's fairly simple to see how it interprets data. I've even managed to get the source to read through myself.

Cheers,
Brady
kali#1337
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

I'll try and have a look to see if there is anything I can do to help you out.

One thing to try is not have the GET Flight Plans Automatically (or whatever I called it) selected and manually click the get flight plans button.

Everytime ES receives the flightplan info from ESJFS it will overwrite what was already in ES.

Could that be the issue?
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

I'm sure you could add a SID/STAR in the JFS flight plan section too. I'll have a look at that too.
kaleid

Post by kaleid »

Sweet! No rush whatsoever