Forum common words

Any questions regarding JoinFS.
PilotWim

Forum common words

Post by PilotWim »

Hi,
I wanted to search the forum for info about the "copy weather" function in JoinFS but unfortunately, the word "weather" is considered too common and is ignored.
I tried quoting "copy weather" but that didn't work either (seems that phpBB only indexes words and not phrases so quoting won't help).
However, phpBB has a setting called:
Common word threshold:
Words which are contained in a greater percentage of all posts will be regarded as common. Common words are ignored in search queries. Set to zero to disable. Only takes effect if there are more than 100 posts.
A solution would be to increase the common word threshold value (or disabling it altogether) and reindex.
(the above could make one think that I'm an expert on phpBB but I'm definitely not, quite the contrary. I just googled it) :-)

Is there any chance that a forum administrator would consider to implement this? It would make the forum search feature way more useful...

Regards
-=Wim=-
Peter
Site Admin

Re: Forum common words

Post by Peter »

I've just changed that setting to zero. Not sure how to "reindex" though.

Peter
PilotWim

Post by PilotWim »

I googled a bit and found this advice...:
all of those settings are in the admin panel, main page,
left menu at the bottom.
you can change the minimum /maximum characters needed, the common words settings and the type of
search index you wish to use.
then to reindex look under the maintenance tab last link in the left menu.

I believe you have to delete the current index and the create a new one. there is no "reindex" button as such.
...to which the reply was:
Well, here is the latest. I deleted the index and created a new one. I was preparing to go to bed and let it run. Was about to set my computer not to go to sleep after a certain period of time, and then suddenly the whole thing was done in less than 60 seconds. That was fast!
keep in mind:
once you start it you need to leave the page and the small box open until you get a success message.
don't interupt the process or it will start over.
as usual, make a database backup before you start and if anything should go wrong you are only a few clicks away from a complete recovery.
Hope this helps
-=Wim=-
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Hope it works better now. Thanks for letting us know about this.

Peter
PilotWim

Post by PilotWim »

Oh yes, it sure does!
I already got 120 matches for "weather" :D

Now I only have to check them all and see whether I can find an answer to the "copy weather" problem I'm facing. If not, I'll create a new topic.

Thank you so much!
-=Wim=-