Formation flying in X Plane

Any questions regarding JoinFS.
Tregarth

Formation flying in X Plane

Post by Tregarth »

I am trying to learn to fly in formation. I have created a flight in JoinFS and now want to follow the original plane.

The trouble is it turns before I am ready so I loose it. My question is: Whilst flying the first flight could I use/broadcast a message in SimCom "Turning onto 270 in 3 - 2 - 1 Now" which would be heard during the play back so I would be ready to turn?

Thank you.
Otisair

Re: Formation flying in X Plane

Post by Otisair »

What type of aircraft are you flying? JoinFS will pick up elevator movements and rudders and such. If you’re flying something with speed brakes, you can engage speed brakes and immediately disengage them letting you know your commencing the maneuver.
Peter
Site Admin

Re: Formation flying in X Plane

Post by Peter »

One solution is to record your voice using any voice recording program (for example you can record voice in TeamSpeak). The following procedure is a good way to sync the voice with the JoinFS recording.

1. Start the voice recording.
2. Verbally count into the start of the JoinFS recording. "JoinFS recording starting in 3....2.....1...now". Hit the JoinFS record button as you say "now"
3. Speak your instructions during the recording.
3. Complete your flight.
4. Stop both the voice and JoinFS recordings.
5. Start playing back the voice recording and listen for the "3...2....1...now", and be ready to press play in the JoinFS recorder.
6. On "now", press play in JoinFS.
7. Follow the aircraft in the simulator and listen to your recorded instructions which will be in perfect sync.

Hope that helps,
Peter