Audio distortion

Report problems with JoinFS.
charic

Audio distortion

Post by charic »

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum, and I've been using JoinFS for quite awhile now, and have been very happy with its concept and silky smooth performance so far, however, only last night did I upgrade from version 1.4.34 to 1.7.4 but this has not cured my issue and I'm wondering if anyone could shed a light my way as to what could be causing this problem ?

I've looked through the existing pages here but nothing similar has been reported.

So for some time now I get a dalek type distortion with my audio when talking over Skype, which is pretty frustrating especially when it gets so distorted, I cant understand my friend.

We have been banging our heads trying to resolve the issue for some time, but to no avail, and it appears that it's only my Skype audio that's affected, not the sim, so just last night we discovered something new, hence the upgrade to see if it would fix the issue ( it did'nt) but it appears that when my friend connects JoinFS, that's when my skype sound gets distorted and subsequently, as soon as he disconnects, sound returns to normal over skype.
Some sessions its barely noticeable but when it occurs its really annoying and even seems to get worse as time passes. I've even used Skype from a Macbook to ascertain that its not something on my own pc that could be an issue

Were both using FSX Gold Edition with all the add-ons, both using W10 and all drivers and updates are in good order, so slightly puzzling to me how after all the time we've spent searching for a solution, there appears to be for me, some issue when my friend connects JoinFS and were on -line, in-game.
Is there a fix, I do hope so.
Peter
Site Admin

Re: Audio distortion

Post by Peter »

Hi. Have you tried opening Windows Task Manager and monitoring the bandwidth usage? Try using Skype without JoinFS, check the BW usage. Then try JoinFS without Skype, check the usage, and then try both. By looking at these three situations it may shed some light on it. Then you could also try looking at the CPU usage as well.

Peter
charic

Post by charic »

Hi Peter, that's something I could try next time I have a full session in swing.

I did notice the sound anomaly before a recent broadband upgrade from FTTC to FTTP a jump of over +200mb from 74mb to an average 300mb connection, thinking that more bandwidth would help, but it hasn't on this occasion.

Ive seen many reports about distorted audio over Skype, Ive tried all their remedies yet to no avail. The sound over Skype only distorts when my friend connects "JoinFS'.

The very last flight we tried, audio distortion was already apparent before I had set up any of my sim programs, but as soon as he disconnected JoinFS server, sound resumed as normal. We ended up flying solo with the sim un-connected, not the perfect solution, but audio was fine.

Their connection/disconnection is instant with my audio issue, they connect, sound distorts, they disconnect, sound normal.
So I'm not sure if the problem actually lies with their setup or mine? We know what's happening, just don't know why?

My friend reports he has no audio issues with his Skype and hears me clean everytime, so that leads me to think its an issue with my own setup, yet my Skype passes all standard tests and settings.

How can it be that his connection to JoinFS messes with my audio?

I'm hoping for something simple to tick in order to rectify this issue rather than having to change voice apps altogether.
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

I don't think you should have any bandwidth issues with a connection like that. It could be some sort of Skype buffering issue. I know someone that had some Skype issues until they moved from a laptop to a desktop which fixed it.

Peter
charic

Post by charic »

Thanks Peter, because I've already tried Skype on a separate platform & OS, maybe I'll try another voice app, see if there's an improvement.
charic

Post by charic »

Just completed an FSX session and all went well this time ?

If it continues over the next few sessions then great, if not, will need to find another solution.

During some research I observed some info regarding folk having pops and splutters on their rig, and one suggestion was to disable the onboard sound in their BIOS.

Why not I thought, I checked my BIOS and sure enough found a setting for my onboard audio that was set to automatic, so I cancelled that option and also set my graphics card priority to the PCI.

Not certain if this is the fix for sure, but there's no doubt the last flight was flawless, and I could just reverse the setting to verify, but I'll run a few more flights first.

Here's hoping.
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Thanks for updating the thread, in case anyone else has a similar problem.

Peter